Experts: I Got a Real Question

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd say that kind of offense, it's tough to defend unless you've got ridiculous corners. It's meant to be quick hitting and if you aren't disrupting the rhythm of it off the line, you're going to give up some yards.

Also, nobody ever wants to do this, but those smallish receivers were quick and alluded to as fast. I don't know how fast, I don't follow BC, so I'll take them at their word. Their QB was accurate and could see over the line. We gave them space, they know where the ball is going, it's always going to be tough to defend.

There's a reason the spread is used by just about every small school and to some degree power five teams. Again, it's tough to defend. When your guys are smaller, you can't run all the routes teams can with big receivers will and expect your quick and fast, but undersized receiver to go up and get it. You can't be anywhere in the vacinity of a 50 / 50 ball.

Add to it, they used their backs out of the backfield well. They used misdirection well. Couple all of that with not the best or fastest LB'ers or CB's, we gave up some plays.

They did well for what they have. It's early in the year, you never know what you're going to get, and adjustments will be made.

The sky isn't falling.

I'm no expert...that's first...but I do watch A TON of football.

Wasn't Kevin Steele at Auburn when they played Burrow in Auburn?

If my memory serves me well, they were the only defense to hold them under 30pts....if Steele hadn't seen it before, he certainly seen it and seen it all that game.

I think Steele didn't show much today....
Yep... He rolled out a 3-1-7 defense that totally threw LSU off.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Wow! Too many conclusions from only one game that also happened to be the first game of the season under totally new coaching staff.
I don't know much but I can say this: This game doesn't tell us much. Too small of a sample size and too early in the season to come up with any conclusions.

Last edited:
I watched out Defense - which wasn't bad - but got burned a lot today by loose QB's, Inside slants, and just looked a bit slow.

Question: Could this partly be due to the fact that our DC is very good, our LB Co-Defensive Coach is a legend - and were heavy in the SEC YEARS ago, BUT is this new spread offense we're seeing widespread today something more or less since developed BEFORE they made their chops?

In other words - are these modern spread offenses a thing they're "reacting" to? Something a bit out of their strengths?

I just didn't see many adjustments.
Need the players thats why we looked slow, easy answer. We need first round type DT's, the system doesnt make u a first rounder the first rounder makes hi ma first rounder. Stack everywhere and people running free wont be running free.

Advertisement
See?

I KNEW I came to the right place for this question!

Thanks, guys!

For a few minutes during the game, I was as confused as a newborn in a tiddy bar.

For a few minutes during the game, I was as confused as a newborn in a tiddy bar.
throw back.gif

Advertisement
First game ... early mistakes that the staff will focus on big time this week. Let's see how they do next week against a tougher opponent.

Advertisement
Back