Experts: I Got a Real Question

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
I watched out Defense - which wasn't bad - but got burned a lot today by loose QB's, Inside slants, and just looked a bit slow.

Question: Could this partly be due to the fact that our DC is very good, our LB Co-Defensive Coach is a legend - and were heavy in the SEC YEARS ago, BUT is this new spread offense we're seeing widespread today something more or less since developed BEFORE they made their chops?

In other words - are these modern spread offenses a thing they're "reacting" to? Something a bit out of their strengths?

I just didn't see many adjustments.

Advertisement
No, we just have slow LB’ers, who also take bad angles at times. We also had some issues with losing contain. Most of the issues can get cleaned up, but the LB’ers are gonna be a problem unless some of these young pups grow up quick.

I'm no expert...that's first...but I do watch A TON of football.

Wasn't Kevin Steele at Auburn when they played Burrow in Auburn?

If my memory serves me well, they were the only defense to hold them under 30pts....if Steele hadn't seen it before, he certainly seen it and seen it all that game.

I think Steele didn't show much today....

I think it’s just cuz our players aren’t very good esp the starters they’re just avg aka jags
Avg players give up plays here and there
Their too limited
Even Caleb looked avg
When the back ups got in
It got better bc their physically more athletic

Advertisement
Advertisement
No, we just have slow LB’ers, who also take bad angles at times. We also had some issues with losing contain. Most of the issues can get cleaned up, but the LB’ers are gonna be a problem unless some of these young pups grow up quick.
The contain thing is real. I am no expert but I noticed it.

Inside slants can be negated by alignment and physicality. And our pass rushers will learn how to contain and not push beyond the dual threat QBs.

Advertisement
True, but I’m less concerned about that position than LB, for now. At least we have options in that room, but need to play Ivey a lot less.

It’s gonna take another cycle or two of recruiting and some high end transfers to get this roster where it needs to be.
Agree completely. In 22 I’m looking for scheme soundness and guys doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Basically want to see disciplined and well coach squad because outside of the safeties there aren’t an freaks who pop.

True, but I’m less concerned about that position than LB, for now. At least we have options in that room, but need to play Ivey a lot less.

It’s gonna take another cycle or two of recruiting and some high end transfers to get this roster where it needs to be.
They had four catches of at least 25 yards. We had 2. Two of their 3 big runs were by the QB.

The secondary is the worry.

I watched out Defense - which wasn't bad - but got burned a lot today by loose QB's, Inside slants, and just looked a bit slow.

Question: Could this partly be due to the fact that our DC is very good, our LB Co-Defensive Coach is a legend - and were heavy in the SEC YEARS ago, BUT is this new spread offense we're seeing widespread today something more or less since developed BEFORE they made their chops?

In other words - are these modern spread offenses a thing they're "reacting" to? Something a bit out of their strengths?

I just didn't see many adjustments.
JFC

Advertisement
Agree completely. In 22 I’m looking for scheme soundness and guys doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Basically want to see disciplined and well coach squad because outside of the safeties there aren’t an freaks who pop.
Also, just want to see the best players play. I know this isn’t fair to put on Mario (yet), but no more playing Patchan over Rousseau.

They had four catches of at least 25 yards. We had 2. Two of their 3 big runs were by the QB.

The secondary is the worry.
I mean, I won’t argue. To me, the LB’s are worse, but the secondary (corners) is our 2nd most concerning issue on the team. So if you want to reverse the order of those two, we’re really just splitting hairs.

Advertisement
Back