Expected defensive attack from UNC

No team will blitz heavily unless they can't get it dine with three or four along the OL. They will all make us prove that we can protect against that and even drop one lineman back in coverage on occasion. Blitz, it'll happen, but nothing crazy there either.

Advertisement
Just run double Tight, chip, and eat. When they over commit, flex a screen or that standard 70 yard draw design. Or, protect with 7, three man route, and eat faces outside. We have better personnel. If we lose, it’s on the coaches. Get. Them. Ready.

I think a lot of people are panicking about this game for no reason. UNC didn't have a great performance against South Carolina. They came back down 20-9 against a Muschamp corchd team that blew just about every opportunity it had to win the game. If South Carolina was able to make a catch or two that game would've been a blowout.

I think they're going to have a hangover and we're going to humble them. Howell rarely progressed past his first read. Our defense is miles better than South Carolina, and we've got better skills players on the offense. Our OL is a concern, but we're not lining up against guys like Zuniga or Greenard. They have a good pass rush, but we've got the skill players to make them pay for selling out.

Something to consider...why show all your bag of tricks first game of season? The game plan they had was good enough against UF. I suspect we will see more variations as the season progresses.
OMG. The first post about holding back the playbook. Heard that all last year. Oklahoma sure didn't hold back their playbook

Advertisement
Anyone who saw our game against UF is likely to overreact to our Tackle situation. ****, it might not be an overreaction to treat it as though it's on life support. In light of that, and based on the beginning of re-watching UNC vs USCe, here's something I'd expect. Let's see if we can get back to football discussions:

Whether in 12 personnel with Mallory split out, more traditional 11 personnel with Jordan, or some variation of 4WR, I expect UNC to show blitz often.

View attachment 96210

But then back out of it and drop into 7 and 8. It's been briefly discussed post-UF, but along with our vulnerabilities at Tackle in one on one situations, we also struggled with some communication on the OL and guys weren't finding enough work at times. A team like UNC, though with totally different rush ends/OLBs than UF, might try to force Jarren to calmly work a 3-man rush and make throws into zone.

View attachment 96211

Plenty more to talk about re: UNC's possibly defensive attack. Let's get to it.

Really enjoy your posts and I would like to see ya run the balm right up the middle with some traps on 55 in a 3 TE set.

It all comes down to play calling. I know Enos is the expert, but why we never ran a TE screen last week, is ridiculous! If teams are going blitz like FL did, simply allow our TEs to show the block and then release underneath. No LB in the country can cover them, especially if they are crossing underneath on a screen.
Did you miss the first drive maybe about the 4th or 5th play? Man there is alot of ******* idiots on this board. I seriously don't know how people function being this dumb.

Anyone who saw our game against UF is likely to overreact to our Tackle situation. ****, it might not be an overreaction to treat it as though it's on life support. In light of that, and based on the beginning of re-watching UNC vs USCe, here's something I'd expect. Let's see if we can get back to football discussions:

Whether in 12 personnel with Mallory split out, more traditional 11 personnel with Jordan, or some variation of 4WR, I expect UNC to show blitz often.

View attachment 96210

But then back out of it and drop into 7 and 8. It's been briefly discussed post-UF, but along with our vulnerabilities at Tackle in one on one situations, we also struggled with some communication on the OL and guys weren't finding enough work at times. A team like UNC, though with totally different rush ends/OLBs than UF, might try to force Jarren to calmly work a 3-man rush and make throws into zone.

View attachment 96211

I heavily agree with Mallory or Jordan spread wide, this should help us in screens and matchup on the outside. Gr8 post btw!

Advertisement
As for UNC, they are primarily a 3-4 team so I have no doubt they like to show multiple looks with their LBs and will work on mimicing UF's approach in rushing 3-4 and sending an extra blitzer late right through our A gap. I think UNC thinks they can get away with rushing 3 and occasionally sending in an extra rusher and let JWill make mistakes.

Until I see Enos do something "creative or unscripted" I'm convinced he is a "my way or no way" kind of coach.
The post UF interview where he was critical of Jarren reeked of "my way" type coaching. Not the Jarren bits, but the bits about how if our OL could just block better we could've got the ball to the open receiver.

************, our OL may not block better all year long, time to quickly adapt if that proves the case. He sounded stubborn as **** and was giving me Richt flashbacks.

Am I the only one that just don’t believe our tackles will struggle as they did against UF’s DEs who are not only potential 1-3 NFL draft caliber DEs, but also grown *** Redshirt Seniors?!? Yeah

If Enos is smarter than he is proud, we run the ball down their throats. We should be able to put up 250+ yards rushing against these bums.
THEN the PA will be there, every single time.

Advertisement
This game will come down to the matchup of Enos vs Jay Bateman.

They're not going to load the box & bring 5-6 rushers, they're going to sit back in Zone & allow their Safeties to jump routes & survey the field trying to collapse everything underneath.

Enos will do Jarren & himself a favor by utilizing lots of Zone buster concepts & working the shallow cross heavy.

UNC relies heavily on their LB group to bring pressure, out of the 3 sacks they got against South Car only 1 of them actually came from a DLineman, the rest was from Blitzing LB's.

Their entire secondary is predicated on the Safeties making the reads, the CB's are weak IMO & simply there to just be a placeholder while the S's read the QB's all day.

I'm not seeing the tough matchup that everybody else is seeing, I think there's a clear gap in talent between the 2 teams & to me it comes down to can Enos not be so adherent to sticking with a pre-scripted game plan & make adjustments on the fly to give the Offense a chance to survive.

If Enos is willing to be aggressive vs Bateman we'll do the same thing Boise St did to FSU & force them to make the decision of if they have enough heart & gas in the tank to keep up. If we play conservative we'll play right into UNC's hands & make this game much harder than it needs to be.

What I wanna know is how far is Enos willing to go to win this game? How much will he go unconventional & be willing to call plays that aren't predictable & easily schemed against? After the UF game he said he knew everything they were doing Defensively & that their secondary played a lot more soft Zone than he expected. What I'm waiting to see is if he's the kind of coach that will simply stick with doing the same thing over & over again regardless of the outcome or will he switch it up & be willing to throw the kitchen sink at a Defense if that's what the game calls for. Is he a "the play sheet is always right" kinda coach or is he a "fck it lets go with what works" in the moment type?

I think people forget that South Car was winning the game 20-9 going into the 4th quarter, this wasn't some dominant performance by UNC, they came back & won because 1) Muschamp is a corch & because 2) they essentially let them comeback & win.

This game IMO is all about the Coaches; if they can motivate our boys to play ****ed off Football & walk into Chapel Hill with the unrelenting mentality that we're not leaving with a Loss, then we'll be fine, if we show up with this timid ultra conservative afraid of our own shadow type attitude then not only will we lose but it's gonna be a long long season to follow.

This is the story right here. I will add, aside from
Coaches. I want to see playmakers. I know what Jeff Thomas and Brevin can do. Now make those tough catches, make guys miss, score on a play that should Be a routine 3 yard gain. Make your coach look like a genius with execution and playmaking.

I’m really looking for how crisp we look. Do we look like we practice like a top team in the country or are we wannabes playing down to our opponents. The U standard that Manny always talks about dictates that a subpar team like UNC never been in this game. Domination from kickoff to 00:00

View attachment 96210

View attachment 96211

I get trying to confuse an young & inexperienced qb, but this would be playing right into Jarren’s strengths, IMO.

Accuracy is his best trait. He also showed poise in the pocket and made several throws with the pocket collapsing on him. Giving him time and hoping he makes a mistake would be a mistake.

I would also hope we spent the last 2 weeks teaching him to stop holding the ball and either throw it away or tuck it and run. The latter is what I’d emphasize as it relates to the OP. Rushes for 3-5 yards and slide against soft zones puts us in favorable down and distance, and we have way too many athletes and options for UNC to stop us if that is the case.

I get trying to confuse an young & inexperienced qb, but this would be playing right into Jarren’s strengths, IMO.

Accuracy is his best trait. He also showed poise in the pocket and made several throws with the pocket collapsing on him. Giving him time and hoping he makes a mistake would be a mistake.

I would also hope we spent the last 2 weeks teaching him to stop holding the ball and either throw it away or tuck it and run. The latter is what I’d emphasize as it relates to the OP. Rushes for 3-5 yards and slide against soft zones puts us in favorable down and distance, and we have way too many athletes and options for UNC to stop us if that is the case.
It's not giving him time if we can't block 4 or communicate the late blitzes. I would be shocked if they panicked and overblitzed early without trying to get there with minimum defenders, test our Tackles and our communications (at least per UF game)

Advertisement

View attachment 96210

View attachment 96211

I would say not possible, but most definite.

If their DC doesn't dial up every max pressure/blitz package he has on every single play, he should be relieved of duties before end of 1Q.

Ds need to blitz Miami until the non-existent OL and Jarren's still emerging decision making start to create plays and make blitzing Ds pay dearly.

That’s not how’s UF most effectively got to us. If they sell out blitzing, they’re fools. Hope so.

Why send the house when you can beat our RT straight up? Why show and send blitz when you can send your ‘backer on a delay and confuse the **** out of a bunch of kids?

Don't disagree...but...

Why not send the house with Miami's flag football level OL?

Why even give him seconds when you can pressure J Will in less than a second?

Don't disagree...but...

Why not send the house with Miami's flag football level OL?

Why even give him seconds when you can pressure J Will in less than a second?
They only have to rush 3 to get a lot of pressure.

This game will come down to the matchup of Enos vs Jay Bateman.

They're not going to load the box & bring 5-6 rushers, they're going to sit back in Zone & allow their Safeties to jump routes & survey the field trying to collapse everything underneath.

Enos will do Jarren & himself a favor by utilizing lots of Zone buster concepts & working the shallow cross heavy.

UNC relies heavily on their LB group to bring pressure, out of the 3 sacks they got against South Car only 1 of them actually came from a DLineman, the rest was from Blitzing LB's.

Their entire secondary is predicated on the Safeties making the reads, the CB's are weak IMO & simply there to just be a placeholder while the S's read the QB's all day.

I'm not seeing the tough matchup that everybody else is seeing, I think there's a clear gap in talent between the 2 teams & to me it comes down to can Enos not be so adherent to sticking with a pre-scripted game plan & make adjustments on the fly to give the Offense a chance to survive.

If Enos is willing to be aggressive vs Bateman we'll do the same thing Boise St did to FSU & force them to make the decision of if they have enough heart & gas in the tank to keep up. If we play conservative we'll play right into UNC's hands & make this game much harder than it needs to be.

What I wanna know is how far is Enos willing to go to win this game? How much will he go unconventional & be willing to call plays that aren't predictable & easily schemed against? After the UF game he said he knew everything they were doing Defensively & that their secondary played a lot more soft Zone than he expected. What I'm waiting to see is if he's the kind of coach that will simply stick with doing the same thing over & over again regardless of the outcome or will he switch it up & be willing to throw the kitchen sink at a Defense if that's what the game calls for. Is he a "the play sheet is always right" kinda coach or is he a "fck it lets go with what works" in the moment type?

I think people forget that South Car was winning the game 20-9 going into the 4th quarter, this wasn't some dominant performance by UNC, they came back & won because 1) Muschamp is a corch & because 2) they essentially let them comeback & win.

This game IMO is all about the Coaches; if they can motivate our boys to play ****ed off Football & walk into Chapel Hill with the unrelenting mentality that we're not leaving with a Loss, then we'll be fine, if we show up with this timid ultra conservative afraid of our own shadow type attitude then not only will we lose but it's gonna be a long long season to follow.

Enos has to adjust in-game. He can be creative. He’s gone 21 personnel with his TE lined up as a FB at Arkansas. Midfield. Motion, pull the guard on a PA, everything shows run, and backside screen it to the TE. Big pass play. He’s shown great protection designs in addition to explosive play concepts. I never picked up on him being stubborn before, so the Florida game kind of took me by surprise. I really thought he would’ve gone more 12 personnel without a split in the 2nd half. ****, I even saw us going some 13 being that Mallory is just a big *** WR.

I know he’s used to coordinating his offense with a better OL. But, it will be imperative that he adheres to his self proclaimed Rhyme & Reason approach this game....

Advertisement
Back