Expectations for this season?

Ready? Ready for what exactly ? The Acc? We aren’t talking big bowls , winning conferences or making playoffs here lol.

We just flipped the roster with portal and HS kids.. With two really good classes back 2 back. On top of that we’ll be fully healthy and having a completely new staff / schemes. If that equals to one more game fire everyone now because thats just not unacceptable.
Mario has 35 new players this season between incoming freshmen players and transfers. There’s been a lot of churn since last November

Advertisement
New system on offense. Could help us, but there is a learning curve.

New system on defense. Could help us, but there is a learning curve.

Many major contributors returning from injury, how recovered are they physically and mentally?

If there is such a thing as a tough ACC schedule, we have it. We play all 5 teams in conference with better odds of making the conference championship
than us

Scary QB situation if TVD goes down.

Several factors that can lead to less wins than our talent suggests we are capable of this season. If everything went perfect I could see 9 wins with the schedule. But everything going our way is highly unlikely and most teams don't beat everyone they should, so id set my over under around here:

(almost) Sure wins (3-0):
Vs. Miami Ohio - outclassed
Vs. Bethune Cookman - outclassed
At Temple - outclassed

Probably wins (2-0):
Vs. Georgia Tech - should be bad, and at home
Vs. Virginia - should be bad, and at home

Toss up (2-1):
At NC State - had a solid 2022 and it is on the road
Vs Louisville - had a solid 2022 but at home
At BC in late November - not a good team but it could be a snow game

Probable loss (0-4):
Vs. TAM - I know they lose games, but they are a talented roster
At UNC - One of the top Qb in the country
Vs. Clemson - Still too talented in the upper class to topple them this year, I think.
At FSU - rivalry game, but the conference favorites and on the road.

If we go 7-5 regular season, play the probable loss teams close, and win a bad bowl game I will be relatively satisfied coming off a 5-7 year with coaching changes and lots of returning injuries. 2 win improvement in record, stack another great recruiting class, and I will be very confident in a 9+ win 2024 as the talent fills out and a feeling it is moving in the right direction even if the w/l column doesn't look great in 2023.

Ready for what exactly ? The Acc? We aren’t talking big bowls , winning conferences or making playoffs here lol.

We just flipped the roster with portal and HS kids.. With two really good classes back 2 back. On top of that we’ll be fully healthy and having a completely new staff / schemes. If that equals to one more game fire everyone now because thats just not unacceptable.

Exactly this. I'd love to know what the multi-year expectations are for anyone who thinks an incremental win or two is an acceptable outcome since they are going to lose their qb to the draft next year and probably all their best draft eligible players who have a halfway decent season. i dont know if i can articulate how depressing it is that expectations are seemingly lower than manny diaz year 2.

Exactly this. I'd love to know what the multi-year expectations are for anyone who thinks an incremental win or two is an acceptable outcome since they are going to lose their qb to the draft next year and probably all their best draft eligible players who have a halfway decent season. i dont know if i can articulate how depressing it is that expectations are seemingly lower than manny diaz year 2.
I don’t think people realize how off the rails things went last year. From issues with coaches , horrible scheme , a crazy amount of injuries and a toxic locker room. It was the perfect storm mixed with bad luck. It would take crazy effort to be that bad again.

Last edited:
7-5 is the most likely outcome, essentially turning on the seat warmers for Cristobal in Miami.

TAMU and Clemson are further along the physicality and talent paradigm than Miami (0-2).

FSU and UNC are on a similar plane as Miami in terms of physicality and talent, but they have much better schemes on offense and QB. Travis is better in that offense than TVD is in this one. I’m not saying that Travis is a better NFL prospect than TVD (0-2).

Near the end of the year, I can see either UL or BC jump and knock Miami down another peg.

Advertisement
7-5 is the most likely outcome, essentially turning on the seat warmers for Cristobal in Miami.

TAMU and Clemson are further along the physicality and talent paradigm than Miami (0-2).

FSU and UNC are on a similar plane as Miami in terms of physicality and talent, but they have much better schemes on offense and QB. Travis is better in that offense than TVD is in this one. I’m not saying that Travis is a better NFL prospect than TVD (0-2).

Near the end of the year, I can see either UL or BC jump and knock Miami down another peg.
UL with Brohm will definitely be an issue for us. Leave it to the ACC to wait until UL got their **** together to start having us play them annually.

I don’t people realize how off the rails things went last year. From issues with coaches , horrible scheme , a crazy amount of injuries and a toxic locker room. It was the perfect storm mixed with bad luck. It would take crazy effort to be that bad again.
I think people realized it when we got run out of the building by a directional school from Tennessee, or they should have. Exactly why I think this will take some time. I applaud the staff and player personnell changes so far, but whether it all translates to double digit wins and a bowl game this year, doubt it. We’ll be the surprise team of the year if that happens.

I think people realized it when we got run out of the building by a directional school from Tennessee, or they should have. Exactly why I think this will take some time. I applaud the staff and player personnell changes so far, but whether it all translates to double digit wins and a bowl game this year, doubt it. We’ll be the surprise team of the year if that happens.
Nobody is saying double digits. Saying we’ll win six games is saying it’s the same mess as last year even though we’ve flipped the roster and brought it far better coaches. Dawson alone will add games.

Advertisement
We’ve played the “how could this team not win 8 games” for 20 straight summers. And every fall we see exactly how we don’t win games. I’ll say 6-6 or 7-5 and truly hope to be incorrect

I generally hear what you are saying, and know you are dialed in, but isn't it a little early to say how our scheme is as opposed to UNC or how TVD will work with this scheme?

Nobody is saying double digits. Saying we’ll win six games is saying it’s the same mess as last year even though we’ve flipped the roster and brought it far better coaches. Dawson alone will add games.
I’m seeing 7 wins as a reasonable expectation

Advertisement
I generally hear what you are saying, and know you are dialed in, but isn't it a little early to say how our scheme is as opposed to UNC or how TVD will work with this scheme?

Yes. I agree that 8-weeks of spring football is not enough for us to make a determination on how TVD fits into this scheme, and the team in general.

That being said, TVD still has the same limitations he’s always had reading the field and making fast decisions. The scheme is going to mask some of it, but not enough to get you 3-4 more wins in a season

Yes. I agree that 8-weeks of spring football is not enough for us to make a determination on how TVD fits into this scheme, and the team in general.

That being said, TVD still has the same limitations he’s always had reading the field and making fast decisions. The scheme is going to mask some of it, but not enough to get you 3-4 more wins in a season

Good thing we crowned him. Doubled down on him. Then doubled down on that again…

**** us

Last edited:
Advertisement
I drank the kool aid last year, and had no idea how bad we would be. I got worried when we were playing southern miss and had to pull of a flea flicker to end the half and take a 10-7 lead. This year we will know by week 2 what this team is or isnt capable of. 8 wins shows progress and hope, I just dont see it unless that 8th win is a bowl game against some random G5 team

The goal should be to win 9 games, given the talent that we just brought in and our schedule. 8 is acceptable as well. The problem for us though is that we are razor thin at some positions and if the wrong guys get injured we might be in trouble. Even then, the coaching alone should make us better.

Advertisement
Back