Expectations for this season?

Agree TVD has limitations. But I think you have to be somewhat impressed with those stats and optimistic about TVD, given all the obstacles thrown his way. I expect a high octane offense in 2023. My worry is the defense, especially against the run and general LB play.
Most QBs have limitations. Mahommy may be the exception.

Advertisement
Agree TVD has limitations. But I think you have to be somewhat impressed with those stats and optimistic about TVD, given all the obstacles thrown his way. I expect a high octane offense in 2023. My worry is the defense, especially against the run and general LB play.

The LB room will be a strength of this team. With an infusion of talent and athleticism (along with a better scheme), they’ll be able to elevate the defense as a whole.

The issue will be the depth of the DL.

The DB room should be able to limit the big plays and 3rd and longs that have plagued this program for 20yrs.

The issue will be how many third and short situations they’ll be in due to issues with the run defense.

I provide facts you provide nothing but opinion and those facts don't support your opinion. If he was not able to read progressions he would not post numbers like that. Res ipsa loquitur

Your stats don’t speak for themselves.

You also should’ve sprung this troll on someone who’s more willing to engage with it.

Good luck with your fishing expedition.

Your stats don’t speak for themselves.

You also should’ve sprung this troll on someone who’s more willing to engage with it.

Good luck with your fishing expedition.
It is so easy to speak a narrative that you heard from someone else.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It would take a colossal effort of elite level Corching to lose 5+ games with this roster.

With the Coordinator upgrades, the additions on Offense & the returning All-PFF talent we have on Defense, if Mario can’t figure out how to win 8 or 9 games then we’re doomed.

If Coaches like Sattefield, Dave Doeren & even The Narduzzi can muster up 8 win seasons with average at best rosters in the ACC, then Mario can manage the same...

This sh*t ain’t Euler’s formula, it’s Football, winning 8 games is not as difficult as people make it seem.

Jim Mora Jr was out of coaching for 5 years, got hired by UCONN, rolled out of bed & won 6 games with one of the worst rosters in all of CFB. 1-11 the year before he got there & hadn’t had a winning season in 12 years.

8-4 or 9-3 is doable.
I’m with you 10000%, the only thing that could and should get in the way of this team reaching 8/9 wins which 8 should be the floor…are injuries. And given Mario’s past 3 years alone…especially last year we can expect a significant amount of those. Depth will be challenged early and often.

How healthy we stay through fall camp will be a huge indicator for me. If Kam goes down we are ****kkkked

Last edited:
I’m with you 10000%, the only thing that could and should get in the way of this team reaching 8/9 wins which 8 should be the floor…are injuries. And given Mario’s past 3 years alone…especially last year we can expect a significant amount of those. Depth will be challenged early and often.

How healthy we stay through fall camp will be a huge indicator for me. If Kam goes down we are ****kkkked
If Kam or DVD go down, we are screwed. Taylor just behind those two.

Speaking of injuries, WTF is going on with Zion? Early last fall it was supposed to be a minor knee injury. Speculation was that he might sit out the season and would go pro. Now it sounds like the kid may never play again.

The LB room will be a strength of this team. With an infusion of talent and athleticism (along with a better scheme), they’ll be able to elevate the defense as a whole.

The issue will be the depth of the DL.

The DB room should be able to limit the big plays and 3rd and longs that have plagued this program for 20yrs.

The issue will be how many third and short situations they’ll be in due to issues with the run defense.

I hope you’re right about the LBs but believe you are wishful thinking. Francisco may have taken that next step and turn into a solid MLB. But even he needs to prove it on the field. After him we have Wes who was shaky last season. I do expect a leap but it needs to be a big one. After him we have an injured Chance, and acceptable backups in Keontra and Flagg. Then a bunch of true freshmen, only one of whom even made it to Spring camp and he mysteriously skipped the Spring Game.

Potential is there. But “strength of the team”? Seriously doubt that.

Advertisement
Since our coordinators were hired I've been thinking we're likely a 7-5 team, with 6-6 more likely than 8-4.

I note a lot of posters predicting Dawson will bring meaningful improvement to the offense. I don't understand this at all.

P5 experience:

WVU: His 2012-2014 tenure as OC at WVU was in name only. It is widely known it was Holgorsen's offense and Holgorsen was the play caller. In fact Dawson jumped from WVU to Kentucky to run his own offense and call plays.

Kentucky: Dawson's chance to run his own offense at Kentucky in 2015 ended up with the 95th ranked scoring offense and a pink slip after just one season.

"The former West Virginia offensive coordinator ends his tenure at UK after just one season. Dawson, who did not call plays at West Virginia, was hired on Dec. 19, 2014 almost three weeks after former UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown left Lexington for the Troy head-coaching job. " https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...17/report-shannon-dawson-out-uk-oc/77480196/#
Conclusion: His P5 experience was a washout.

G5 experience:

Southern Miss:
-2016 as OC 41st ranked scoring offense
-2017 as OC 58th ranked scoring offense
-2018 as OC 89th ranked scoring offense

Obviously with this track record no one was going to hire him as an OC at his next job.

Houston:
-2019 TE coach
-2020 QB coach
-2021 as OC in name (but with Holgorsen running the offense and calling plays) 15th ranked scoring offense
-2022 as OC in name (but with Holgorsen running the offense and calling plays) 16th ranked scoring offense

Conclusion: My prediction is that Dawson will be another failed OC for Mario and will be let go after this season. And our record this season will be weighed down from ever having hired him.

There is nothing in his resume to suggest he should have been hired as OC here. It's a complete roll of the dice, against bad odds.

Last edited:
Since our coordinators were hired I've been thinking we're likely a 7-5 team, with 6-6 more likely than 8-4.

I note a lot of posters predicting Dawson will bring meaningful improvement to the offense. I don't understand this at all.

P5 experience:

WVU: His 2012-2014 tenure as OC at WVU was in name only. It is widely known it was Holgorsen's offense and Holgorsen was the play caller. In fact Dawson jumped from WVU to Kentucky to run his own offense and call plays.

Kentucky: Dawson's chance to run his own offense at Kentucky in 2015 ended up with the 95th ranked scoring offense and a pink slip after just one season.

"The former West Virginia offensive coordinator ends his tenure at UK after just one season. Dawson, who did not call plays at West Virginia, was hired on Dec. 19, 2014 almost three weeks after former UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown left Lexington for the Troy head-coaching job. " https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...17/report-shannon-dawson-out-uk-oc/77480196/#
Conclusion: His P5 experience was a washout.

G5 experience:

Southern Miss:
-2016 as OC 41st ranked scoring offense
-2017 as OC 58th ranked scoring offense
-2018 as OC 89th ranked scoring offense

Obviously with this track record no one was going to hire him as an OC at his next job.

Houston:
-2019 TE coach
-2020 QB coach
-2021 as OC in name (but with Holgorsen running the offense and calling plays) 15th ranked scoring offense
-2022 as OC in name (but with Holgorsen running the offense and calling plays) 16th ranked scoring offense

Conclusion: My prediction is that Dawson will be another failed OC for Mario and will be let go after this season. And our record this season will be weighed down from ever having hired him.

There is nothing in his resume to suggest he should have been hired as OC here. It's a complete roll of the dice, against bad odds.

1684812954972.gif

Come on, Paly, why did you have to dig all this up? And just when the 15-0 train was starting to get rolling again, too.

Advertisement
I mean, congrats on that long *** post, but Dawson called plays at Houston.

That alone just is enough to flag the post for misinformation.

We had a large turnover in the roster with the new roster being significantly better than the previous year's. We also have new coordinators on both sides of the ball. There's no chance to make a meaningful prediction so everyone regresses to the mean, the only difference is how to justify it.

Advertisement
Back