Everytime there's been a vacancy at UM

As an AD you should know who will take your job if offered. He should have a list of 4-5 coaches he knows will take this job if offered instead of relying on search firms. Cristobal, Davis
Give me some of these big names.

Leach was as big as it gets besides the hopes and dreams brigade throwing **** on the wall hoping it sticks.

This isn't a destination school. Yes, that has changed. I would go into why, have somewhat, but most people are either unwilling to accept it or too dumb to get it. Carry on.

Butch Davis was begging for this job the last 2 UM HC vacancies, Cristobal has always been interested in returning to UM as HC both far superior coaches than Diaz. Start there.

Advertisement
Huh? You can't find a better coach than Manny for 3 million a year? Plus what we paid Temple?
If you take the money we paid Temple to get Manny and divide it for the next 4 years you could easily pay 4-5 mil. a year. Add to that living in Coral Gable and have a boat docked in the Keys.

Living in Coral Gables is not that great. South Florida is not for everyone...in fact, I would say it’s not for most people.

People in the United States get annoyed when they leave the house to get milk and eggs or whatnot and literally everyone around them is speaking Spanish. It’s a totally different culture from most places.

Plus it’s not a safe place to raise kids. And cost of living is higher than most college towns.

Yet we want to pay coaches LESS money than other schools, while it’s a more expensive and less desirable place to live

Living in Coral Gables is not that great. South Florida is not for everyone...in fact, I would say it’s not for most people.

People in the United States get annoyed when they leave the house to get milk and eggs or whatnot and literally everyone around them is speaking Spanish. It’s a totally different culture from most places.

Plus it’s not a safe place to raise kids. And cost of living is higher than most college towns.

Yet we want to pay coaches LESS money than other schools, while it’s a more expensive and less desirable place to live
You ignored the part about the beaches, the weather and boat docked in the Florida Keys? lol

You ignored the part about the beaches, the weather and boat docked in the Florida Keys? lol

Lot of places have beaches without having all the other baggage. Rumor at the time was that Butch Davis left for Cleveland way back when because his wife couldn't stand living in Miami.

The weather is nice though, I'll give you that. But a lot of people also love having four seasons.

Personally, I love South Florida. Miami Beach especially. But I'm a warm weather person who speaks Spanish and loves Latin culture. What I'm saying is that Miami doesn't appeal to everybody, as anyone who has friends from outside South Florida come visit them knows too well

There's allegedly been interest from all corners of the coaching ranks, yet we keep whiffing. Willing to give Diaz a chance, sadly, I have the same feeling about Diaz I had about Richt, Golden, Shannon, he's not the guy. You don't have to reinvent the wheel as a coach football hasn't changed in 100 years at its core it's still tackling, blocking, running, catching, throwing and kicking. Why is it so difficult to find 8-9 guys to teach these kids how to do that?

Remember how hard those kids from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's worked. Irvin, Walsh, Dorsey, Vilma, Bernie, Brown.J, Brown Eddie, Blades, Clark, Highsmith, Bratton, Santana, Andre, Reggie, McKinney... This is the same program that won 58 straight home games now can't beat a team winless in conference play. The entire coaching staff is a complete fraud.
I hate to say it, but I don't think there's been much interest at all. I think that's what Miami is putting out to make themselves look desirable, but I don't think anyone really wants the job.

Advertisement
Leach and mullen are the biggest names to have interest. Nobody is beating down the door to come here. That's why you always here schiano name in the mix.
And both would have been great hires but that’s not the point. When we hired Randy and Golden, there was no interest, I agree but I can’t agree there was no interest this go around. We just had the IPF put in, new dorms announced, and had two great classes for 17 and 18. There was going to be interest but Blake decided not to even bother. The fact of the matter is that this team was ready to win now when considering the talent and in context the weak division and conference we play in. Manny wasn’t wrong in his first presser. We were ready to win now, but instead we **** the bed.

Candle might be interested. Pretty sure Norvell would jump at it. Heupel...I don't know. Sonny Dykes, nope. Fickell maybe.
I could find 5 coaches in the group of 5 that would beat us by 3+ scores that would walk over broken glass to take this job
Just want to play this game.

Candle might be interested. Pretty sure Norvell would jump at it. Heupel...I don't know. Sonny Dykes, nope. Fickell maybe. Harsin, don't think so.

And both would have been great hires but that’s not the point. When we hired Randy and Golden, there was no interest, I agree but I can’t agree there was no interest this go around. We just had the IPF put in, new dorms announced, and had two great classes for 17 and 18. There was going to be interest but Blake decided not to even bother. The fact of the matter is that this team was ready to win now when considering the talent and in context the weak division and conference we play in. Manny wasn’t wrong in his first presser. We were ready to win now, but instead we **** the bed.
No. Miami doesn't doesn't invest the money into the program that other schools do. They aren't going to pay a big time coach and give him the type of money needed for a great staff.

Now if you are talking about coaches at a smaller program then no doubt there would have probably been a lot of interest.

Advertisement
Candle might be interested. Pretty sure Norvell would jump at it. Heupel...I don't know. Sonny Dykes, nope. Fickell maybe.

Just want to play this game.

Candle might be interested. Pretty sure Norvell would jump at it. Heupel...I don't know. Sonny Dykes, nope. Fickell maybe. Harsin, don't think so.
I would take memphis o-line coach

The more i see who and how things are in CG, the more I am starting to believe that money is not the primary reason that we can't attract good coaches. .. the U admin has changed significantly in the past 2 decades...
.. i am not sure too many alphas want to come here or would be welcome here.

The word is out about our bunch of woke women and beta males running the athletic department... where winning NCs is no more a priority... just a bunch of virtue signalling, saving the planet trash unis type cr@p is more important than winning..

Last edited:
I mean if you pay these coaches don't really care. There have been coaches fired after 1 season before.
Howard Schnellenberger was fired after his 1st year at Oklahoma. There were a few different reasons why, but the long and short of it is, he wasn't a good fit for them and out he went.
Manny is out of his depth as the head coach of what is (was?) a premier program. The UM needs to part ways as this 3-9 or 4-8 season winds down.

Advertisement
Man schiano name been coming up for 10+ years. I remember they tried to get him from rutgers and he declined. Would have probably been the coach in 2016 if richt didn't take it.
He sucks, this kind of reminds me of the people who wanted Jay Gruden or Rex Ryan. All who don't even have a job coaching.

yes but the most we've ever paid is 4 (to richt). thats still less than what frost got at nebraska, tags at FSU, and mullen at UF (6.6 right now). if we want a gundy (hes got a near 20 mill buyout or more), campbell (just got an extension after turning down NFL interest), or even rhule, it would require close to 5+ to get them here. i dont see this school doing that unless we got another soffer donor to come in and turn the heat up. were pretty meh in fan support (where it matters meaning dollars) and our alums dont give back as much as big time schools do. ****, most people i graduated with dont give a ****. they'll maybe go to a game once every 2 years, but wont donate back and left the area.
Lazy question because I have a phone in front of me but do you know Whittingham of Utah’s salary?

Edit: Structure

Advertisement
As an AD you should know who will take your job if offered. He should have a list of 4-5 coaches he knows will take this job if offered instead of relying on search firms. Cristobal, Davis

Cristobal has always been interested in returning to UM as HC

Nope. Oregon is not turning on Cristobol after a 7 win season like we did last year on our coach. He likes getting a nice salary with some job security.

Advertisement
Back