Everytime I see a

Advertisement
Nobody is arguing with building the trenches. You just don't have to run a bunch of condensed phone booth sets where you run right into the teeth of the defense repeatedly.
Yea but can the offensive line be considered physical if we dont have all 11 players bunched together including our 5'10 190 lbs slot receiver or our 6' 180 lbs receiver?

I dont think so. The offensive line being able to maul equal 4 DL and 1 LB proves nothing bc theres a numbers advantage for us. We need to see the entire team mauling the entire opponent team for 3 yard gains. That's success.

Condense offensive set called by Lane, Riley, the Chiefs, or just about every other team that plays football. I think of how some “CIS Guru’s” skin is crawling. Or maybe it’s only caveman when we do it 🤷🏽‍♂️
imo, and I'm no cis guru.. but, when everyone is wanting to crowd the box because they know all you can do is run (if you don't want to turn the ball over) and you call a bunch formation, you're just allowing them to crowd even more people into the box and bring quick pressure from anywhere. If you're actually a threat to pass to a TE or a RB then I wouldn't be so upset about a bunch formation. In our case you're just telling the other team exactly what you're gonna do and allowing them to bring the numbers in because they KNOW we're not gonna pass the ball. It's not that the bunch is a bad thing, it's that OUR bunch is a dead give away.

I must’ve missed all that 12 personnel by Andy Reid lol. Lane and Riley as well. KC is normally in 11 personnel 70 percent of the time or around that ball park.
Does anyone have a PFF subscription or something to get all the data on which CFB teams are running what personnel at what rate? It'd be very helpful.

Just to show that personnel isn't the end all be all though - the Panthers, Colts, Steelers, Browns, Commanders, and Giants are all top 10 in 11 personnel usage - and no one would call them good offenses. The chiefs are 19th. The chiefs are actually 11th in 12 personnel usage. And they are #1 in 13 personnel usage - now that's bro style lol. And the Dolphins lead the league in 21 personnel - which I'm sure people on here would view as no different than 12 personnel - actually worse cause who the **** uses fbs anymore. Again that's bro style!

4 of the top offenses in the NFL all are top 5 in rushing rate too - 49ers, Ravens, Lions, Eagles.

The problem with US running 12 or even 11 is that our TE sucks. If Riley Williams or Arroyo were studs and healthy, I think this could be viewed very differently. As it stands yeah I'd much prefer to be running 10 or 20 personnel and not have Cam McCormick on the field...

Does anyone have a PFF subscription or something to get all the data on which CFB teams are running what personnel at what rate? It'd be very helpful.

Just to show that personnel isn't the end all be all though - the Panthers, Colts, Steelers, Browns, Commanders, and Giants are all top 10 in 11 personnel usage - and no one would call them good offenses. The chiefs are 19th. The chiefs are actually 11th in 12 personnel usage. And they are #1 in 13 personnel usage - now that's bro style lol. And the Dolphins lead the league in 21 personnel - which I'm sure people on here would view as no different than 12 personnel - actually worse cause who the **** uses fbs anymore. Again that's bro style!

4 of the top offenses in the NFL all are top 5 in rushing rate too - 49ers, Ravens, Lions, Eagles.

The problem with US running 12 or even 11 is that our TE sucks. If Riley Williams or Arroyo were studs and healthy, I think this could be viewed very differently. As it stands yeah I'd much prefer to be running 10 or 20 personnel and not have Cam McCormick on the field...
Formations isn’t the end all, it’s creativity which we don’t have. Mario is more into the thought of moving people and being physical rather than staying a step ahead of the defense. Andy Reid has action he’s shown weeks before but a different play. The great offensive minds always do. They’re never predictable.

I prefer using space and spreading out to the hashes because that’s just smart by the rules of the game now. But 12-13 personnel is fine occasionally. We just have zero imagination with offense and that’s followed our head coach everywhere he’s been.

Lastly as you said if your TE sucks be creative , use more 10 personnel with BS out there. That’s what smart offensive people do. Fit the scheme to the talent.

Advertisement
Formations isn’t the end all, it’s creativity which we don’t have. Mario is more into the thought of moving people and being physical rather than staying a step ahead of the defense. Andy Reid has action he’s shown weeks before but a different play. The great offensive minds always do. They’re never predictable.

I prefer using space and spreading out to the hashes because that’s just smart by the rules of the game now. But 12-13 personnel is fine occasionally. We just have zero imagination with offense and that’s followed our head coach everywhere he’s been.

Lastly as you said if your TE sucks be creative , use more 10 personnel with BS out there. That’s what smart offensive people do. Fit the scheme to the talent.
I agree with many of your points. but to me the creativity part is fully on Dawson. I very much think people are over stating how much Mario meddles with the actual play calling on GameDays.. The boneheaded insistence on Cam being the starting TE and getting all the reps is on Mario. I also think not running more 10 is on Dawson more than Mario. I think the type of runs and diversity we use is more because of Mario, but unlike many here I view that as a positive. I also like us using Pistol, which I'm sure was Marios involvement.

Advertisement
Exactly then fans rip Mallory for missing blocks lol. I mean we had four years of him not being able to block in-line , so why not try it a fifth year ? lol. Mario is hard headed as ****.

I'd rather 10 personnel with no TE at all and spread them out wide. Lots more motion. Use BS as a second RB in some formations, and motion him in/out of the backfield. BS >> OMC. When it is 3rd and short, sub BS or X for McCoy, and stop asking X, BS, or Young to be a TE! If you want to go really heavy, bring in a 7th OL and throw a jumbo 37 (haha) over, or bring in Riley with the ability to hit the seam.

I'd rather 10 personnel with no TE at all and spread them out wide. Lots more motion. Use BS as a second RB in some formations, and motion him in/out of the backfield. BS >> OMC. When it is 3rd and short, sub BS or X for McCoy, and stop asking X, BS, or Young to be a TE! If you want to go really heavy, bring in a 7th OL and throw a jumbo 37 (haha) over, or bring in Riley with the ability to hit the seam.
what's motion?

Condense offensive set called by Lane, Riley, the Chiefs, or just about every other team that plays football. I think of how some “CIS Guru’s” skin is crawling. Or maybe it’s only caveman when we do it 🤷🏽‍♂️
As a CiS Guru, I can confirm skin crawls.

Advertisement
It always comes back to Georgia and/or Michigan. Those teams are extreme outliers and Michigan's recent success is suspect as **** with the facts coming out about their rampant cheating. So that leaves Georgia. Hey' they've won the last two championships so what they're doing is working for them but is that working for ANYBODY else? Is anyone else having success playing that style and pace in 2023? IMHO, if I'm trying to build a football program, I'm not modeling it after an extreme outlier and hoping I can have those same 1 out of 135 results. I mean when exactly are we going to be able to "out talent" everyone like Georgia does? Not any time soon. One top 10 recruiting class isn't going to give use those results.

Miami's rise to prominence and sustained success through the 80's and 90's was built on innovation and maximizing the talent available. Miami didn't rely on just out-recruiting everyone until the early 2000's teams and we saw how long that run lasted. We had mediocre coaches who had mediocre game plans and mediocre schemes who could bludgeon teams because their players were just way more talented. Guess what. That ain't us now. And it's not going to be use any time soon. So let's try to maybe win by scheming and gameplanning a little bit and not just relying on being more talented to the point where horrible coaching won't hurt that much.

1) I’m not a CIS Guru, I give my opinion just like everybody else does. I’ve never once held a gun to anyone’s temple & forced them to listen to me or agree with me. I actually encourage people to disagree with me as much as they possibly can.

2) I have never had an issue with running the ball, it’s about doing it in a smart way that doesn’t play into the hands of the Defense. From a personnel standpoint, Miami has not had the kind setup that would be conducive to a productive Offense while running that style; Look no further than 2019 & 2022.

3) Miami’s Offense is exactly what you guys want it to be right now, we run the ball & play condensed in tight bunch formations with a lot of 12 & 11 personnel.

4) @ me next time.
Bruh. This is my gripe. I want to run the ball. I like running the ball but the creativity off the run game, as @Rellyrell So eloquently put it, is lacking.

We do nothing to stress teams playing downhill on us it's maddening.

Ohio state hasn’t lighting up the score board or giving him Marvin Harrison Jr his heisman campaign most thought would happen…

Same dude running the show in day… common denominator with us? Bad QB play… the difference? Their QB isn’t handing the other team the ball 2-3 times a game

Their games against Indiana, Rutgers, and Wisconsin were very close games with some late pull ahead garbage time points…

Advertisement
Exactly then fans rip Mallory for missing blocks lol. I mean we had four years of him not being able to block in-line , so why not try it a fifth year ? lol. Mario is hard headed as ****.
But see now people are saying two different things. Is Cam playing so much because Mario requires someone who can block? He certainly was fine having Mallory being our clear top TE and having him in line even though he knew he wasn't a very good run blocker.

At the end of the day we need a TE that can play in line and split out. And Mario knows you can't ONLY have a guy that's a TE for split out and never inline. Cause the entire point of having a TE split out over a WR is for a mismatch in defense matching personnel.

it was already confirmed by multiple insiders that Mario made the run play call, but I guess you would know more since you are him right?
Video evidence disagrees but whatever you need for your conspiracy narrative buddy

But see now people are saying two different things. Is Cam playing so much because Mario requires someone who can block? He certainly was fine having Mallory being our clear top TE and having him in line even though he knew he wasn't a very good run blocker.

At the end of the day we need a TE that can play in line and split out. And Mario knows you can't ONLY have a guy that's a TE for split out and never inline. Cause the entire point of having a TE split out over a WR is for a mismatch in defense matching personnel.
Or maybe not use a te since 84 is an ol. We’re playing 4 on 7 , sometimes 8 with skill guys and wonder why people can’t get open often. Weird.

Advertisement
Back