MEGA Everything & Everybody Sucks Megathread for Miserable Mopes & Sorry Slurpers (aka The Basura Bin)

Advertisement
Not necessarily better team. It is about where you have talent on team, the talent's attitude towards winning and how the coaches utilizes that talent.
Our coaches arent utilizing our talent.

Every team in the acc besides maybe 2 would trade rosters with us right now.

Our coaches arent utilizing our talent.

Every team in the acc besides maybe 2 would trade rosters with us right now.

Going back to original gist of argument, so Enos evolved into very good OC at Maryland after his stint at UM? Nevermind Saban and Fickell also thought highly enough of him to have him on their staff as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Honest question, Jaden Harris is 6'1 195 why do you think he is primarily playing nickel? @Liberty City El
giphy.gif

You can always have safety help. It depends on the defensive scheme you're playing. Zone over the top and man under.

Listen to Mario’s press conference. He said they would look at the coverage schemes they played. He wasn't happy with the scheme.

I think Steele took unnecessary risks. MTSU couldn't run the ball until late in the game when our guys looked like they gave up.

This game was opposite of AtM. It was a cluster **** in every area except special teams. A complete lack of effort for most of the game and looking past the opponent. We've seen it several times this year just not all of them were losses. I think we're probably the only team that got dominated.

Arkansas 38, Missouri St (FCS) 27
App St 17, AtM 14
App St 28, James Madison 32
S. Florida 28, Florida 31
Kent St. 22, UGA 39 (UGA allowed 10 pts all season)
S. Illinois (FCS) 31, Northwestern 24
Marshall 26, ND 21
UNC 35, Georgia St 28
No you can't always have safety help. If there's four wide receivers on the field, you can't get help to every corner. You protect inside out. And there's no coverage scheme in the world that doesn't eventually leave your outside corners one on one.

Man-under-2-deep equals a five-man box. You need to be in dime personnel to run that coverage. That's why it's only called on 3rd and long.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach Steele is a fantastic DC. He's had nasty defenses for years that ranked inside the top 10 year after year (despite playing really tough competition). Coaches in the state of Alabama have cited him as one of the best recruiters in the game (saw that in an article about Harsin's recruiting efforts at Auburn and elsewhere). You can combine the best of Jimmy Johnson, Don Shula, Saban, Schnellenberger, Parcells, and Bellichick and it isn't going to make Ivey any faster and prevent him from being beat deep by a speedster. With that point deficit we were facing, I wouldn't be surprised if Steele was taking some risks to try & force 3 & outs and turnovers & change the complexion of the game. The only things that could have been done (if your CBs can't survive on an island) are:

1) Have Ivey play further off his man & leave a big cushion (keep everything way in front of him). That might prevent huge chunk plays & quick scoring strikes but we'd clearly be susceptible to shorter pass completions (although at least those force the opponent to have to complete more of them to score). This probably was the best answer against MTSU. That and Ivey being more alert.

2) Have safety help back there. Again, that would leave other spots open (like the middle of the field).

Coach Steele is a fantastic DC. We need better horses at CB, LB and DL. The recruiting deficiencies of the prior staff came home to roost in this game in a big way (particularly at CB & LB). We simply need faster, better players at all three defensive positions. Coach Steele ain't the problem.
Just give Ivey adderall before every game
He seems lethargic and not focused when he plays

Ok so Steele gets a pass because he has been successful in the past. Now do Gattis.

I hear what you’re saying but lots of stuff is starting to come to light about gattis‘a time at Michigan. Play calling was reportedly taken away, etc. I don’t think Michigan is something gattis can completely hang his hat on

Advertisement
I hear what you’re saying but lots of stuff is starting to come to light about gattis‘a time at Michigan. Play calling was reportedly taken away, etc. I don’t think Michigan is something gattis can completely hang his hat on0
That's cool if he's a fraud that's a refllection on Mario for not properly vetting his assistants during his 2 months hiring process. I'm more concerned that the defense played just as ****** if not worse vs the first offense they faced with a pulse. We will continue to get boat raced vs actual teams with our personnel and that gameplan.

That's cool if he's a fraud that's a refllection on Mario for not properly vetting his assistants during his 2 months hiring process. I'm more concerned that the defense played just as ****** if not worse vs the first offense they faced with a pulse. We will continue to get boat raced vs actual teams with our personnel and that gameplan.

No doubt. I have more confidence that the defense can turn it around, though.

Not sure what you’ve been watching, but the defense didn’t get cooked until today.
You had guys on here talking about how Ivey finally turned the corner last Saturday night.
Wasn't Ivey, was a ringer..

No you can't always have safety help. If there's four wide receivers on the field, you can't get help to every corner. You protect inside out. And there's no coverage scheme in the world that doesn't eventually leave your outside corners one on one.

Man-under-2-deep equals a five-man box. You need to be in dying personnel to run that coverage. That's why it's only called on 3rd and long.
That's not quite right.

Yes, if you have 4 WRs and 4 CB, and 2 safeties, the safeties could only double 2 WRs leaving 2 CBs 1v1, but the safties playing zone are covering area not people. It's their job to be the last line of defense. They should be able to react and support where the ball is going especially the deep routes. That can always be covered up in dime and Quarters coverage. It can also be schemed to a Nickel coverage with J. Williams in the box as a 2nd LB sliding out to coverage for the 6th DB giving a 4-1-4-2 Dime coverage.

On the 4 huge MTSU deep passing plays, I saw no safeties back either by design or they were out of position.

As I stated, Dime and Quarters coverage have 2 safeties over the top. Actually, Quarters can have 2 or 3 which I'd prefer with James, Cam, and Avante.

With J Williams, you can play Nickel coverage all day as the base defense with him in the box and sliding out to Dime in pass coverage without substitution. This is effective against teams that like to go fast.

Nickel Defense

Nickel Coverage.png

Dime Defense

Dime Coverage.png

Quarters Defense

Quarters Coverage.png

These are just the basics. It's not complicated. We have 3 good safeties that give us versatility.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back