MEGA Everything & Everybody Sucks Megathread for Miserable Mopes & Sorry Slurpers (aka The Basura Bin)

Quarters is NOT man to man genius!!! The DBs cover space. A section of the field. Man vs man is to cover a player wherever he goes all over the field.
In HS zones cover just an area. In College/NFL high level football, Cover 3/4 (regardless what personnel grouping the defense is in) is pretty much always Man coverage by the Outside Corner on an Outsode WR when they are threatening vertically. The question you want to know is when will there also be help over the top in those situations. The answer is what I said - You have just a great Free Safety that makes a great read/play, or you are in man 2 deep which means you are leaving massive gaps underneath and aren’t able to defend the Run as well. This is why Macho is saying this is only done in Dime on 3rd and longs - when you aren’t worried about the run and the offense is in a personnel grouping that it makes sense to be running dime

There is low chance we would be running a coverage on 1st down at the 2 yard line where we are having safety help over the top on a go route tWhy did the play work for MTSU? Because their QB was able to sit in the pocket for 5 seconds without anybody close to pressuring him, and his 5’7 155lb WR burnt Ivey to a crisp.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Your point is understood for sure Macho...BUT it is alarming that this staff needs to learn the hard way...why on earth would ANYONE...FAN OR COACH...Be surprised that bum *** DJ Ivey got ran by like a statue for 98 yards by a fast wr on the biggest defensive series of the game?

It's only on tape for 4 god **** years lol!

He had a nice game vs. TAMU. Every now and then he makes a tackle in the run game...But any play in pass defense he's ever made was basically in the middle of the field (been beat there plenty too)...This kid is too slow and has no natural feel for corner, no hips, and no ball skills. I don't give a **** if he's first in line every drill.

Same with Corey Flagg... looking like he was stuck in cement in the catch and run that went for 80 down to the 5. Was anyone here shocked?
We had 3 different DBs beat on a long past by that same WR.

In HS zones cover just an area. In College/NFL high level football, Cover 3/4 (regardless what personnel grouping the defense is in) is pretty much always Man coverage by the Outside Corner on an Outsode WR when they are threatening vertically. The question you want to know is when will there also be help over the top in those situations. The answer is what I said - You have just a great Free Safety that makes a great read/play, or you are in man 2 deep which means you are leaving massive gaps underneath and aren’t able to defend the Run as well. This is why Macho is saying this is only done in Dime on 3rd and longs - when you aren’t worried about the run and the offense is in a personnel grouping that it makes sense to be running dime

There is low chance we would be running a coverage on 1st down at the 2 yard line where we are having safety help over the top on a go route tWhy did the play work for MTSU? Because their QB was able to sit in the pocket for 5 seconds without anybody close to pressuring him, and his 5’7 155lb WR burnt Ivey to a crisp.
Quarters is exactly what it says. It's dividing the field into quarters. Just like a zone coverage in basketball, you are responsible for the man that comes into your area. You are not assigned to a man presnap like man coverage.

Secondly, I didn't say anything about downs. I simply said play 2 safties back against 4 WRs with no reference to down and distance.

That was all Macho Man trying to belittle me as if I just made this **** up saying it couldn't be done and not in a base defense which I never referred to in my original post. I later responded saying they are related defenses that Clemson, Iowa State, and TCU ran under Gary Patterson.

I posted an analysis video on ISU showing that it could be done and in fact they run it as their base defense. I also posted Clemson learning from ISU where Brent Venables and staff went to Ames, IA to learn from them. They ran it mostly when they had Isaiah Simmons and feel we could do similar things with James Williams.

I knew the ISU defense ever since Matt Campbell was hired because I grew up in Iowa near Iowa State and follow both ISU and U of Iowa despite being a Canes fan for several decades.

As I stated, my original post was my opinion that we should have 2 deep safety against 4WR which means 6 DBs on the field.

I didn't expect I'd have to defend my opinion as if the national championship game were on the line. Plenty of people have opinions about the offense and defense. That's what we're here for. I don't know why Macho Man got a wild hair up his *** for me as what I stated is just what I've seen other schools run and I was just calling for it against 4WR sets despite those schools running a version of it as a base defense.

Last edited:
Quarters is exactly what it says. It's dividing the field into quarters. Just like a zone coverage in basketball, you are responsible for the man that comes into your area. You are not assigned to a man presnap like man coverage.

Secondly, I didn't say anything about downs. I simply said play 2 safties back against 4 WRs with no reference to down and distance.

That was all Macho Man trying to belittle me as if I just made this **** up saying it couldn't be done and not in a base defense which I never referred to in my original post. I later responded saying they are related defenses that Clemson, Iowa State, and TCU ran under Gary Patterson.

I posted an analysis video on ISU showing that it could be done and in fact they run it as their base defense. I also posted Clemson learning from ISU where Brent Venables and staff went to Ames, IA to learn from them. They ran it mostly when they had Isaiah Simmons and feel we could do similar things with James Williams.

I knew the ISU defense ever since Matt Campbell was hired because I grew up in Iowa near Iowa State and follow both ISU and U of Iowa despite being a Canes fan for several decades.

As I stated, my original post was my opinion that we should have 2 deep safety against 4WR which means 6 DBs on the field.

I didn't expect I'd have to defend my opinion as if the national championship game were on the line. Plenty of people have opinions about the offense and defense. That's what we're here for. I don't know why Macho Man got a wild hair up his *** for me as what I stated is just what I've seen other schools run and I was just calling for it against 4WR sets despite those schools running a version of it as a base defense.
Wouldn't 2 safties put us in a 4-3 defense? No body runs that now days. RPO will kill you. Not trying to argue at all. I am just trying to figure things out like you are my friend.

You are referring to Cover 4 as quarters, but again you are wrong (at least above the HS level) - it's NOT just responsible for the man that comes into your area. There are basically set rules and responsibilities. The outside CB main priority is #1 (counting outside to inside for WRs/TE/RB) when he threatens vertically (basically anything deeper than the LBs dropping into their zone). Safety/Nickel main priority is #2 when they threaten vertically, and so on. At a high level Cover 3 and Cover 4 literally are just man coverage when their primary read threatens vertically. Now obviously there are different ways the defense can play it - like say the ouside WR runs a post and the inside WR runs a corner - the CB/S can switch or a bunch of other scenarios like first one out/first one in.., etc, etc.

But Again In my initial comment I gave a literal example - cut the field in half and say you have 2 WRs against 1 CB and 1 Safety in Cover 4. #1 runs a post or a corner-post, #2 runs a 15 yard In/dig. What are the responsibilities? In your version of just responsible for the man that comes into your area, who is the safety supposed to cover? That 15 yard in/dig is beyond the area of the LBs - and thus technically in the safeties area of responsibility. But that post route has exited the CBs area and entered what is supposed to be the safeties area too... Now obviously you want to go high to low, so the Safety should be on the post in your version. But then you're just giving up wide open 15 yard passes, meanwhile the CB is covering nobody... That is why in actual practice, Cover 4 with a vertical route by the #1 is essentially man coverage, and then the Safety can drive on the vertical threat by the #2 Wr.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
The Office Reaction GIF

The sun will come out tomorrow. I promise. The Canes may still suck, but it is only football. :cool:

Don't see a win with confidence for remainder of schedule. Waaaay outta my feelings on this too.

Not saying we won't win another game, just don't know which ones it will be, and don't think we're going anywhere past 6-6.

Every single game is a tossup at best, yes including Duke and GT.

See absolute smashing vs UNC, FSU, Clemson and Pitt.
Dogfights every other one if we don't get straight boat raced in each.

Advertisement
Back