Even Though Mario Has Been A Disappointment Thus Far

Cane4life18

Senior
Watch from 2:20 to 4:00 mark.

Pay attention to what Colin and Klatt say about Oregon.

Colin: "That is the most talented 4-5 star roster on the West Coast."
Klatt: "Specifically on the offensive line."
Klatt: "Mario Cristobal was a big part of that." - Speaking in reference to the roster Oregon has.

Mario has been a major disappointment. No doubt about. We should win more games with the roster we have. Duke and MTSU being the two games that standout most. But listening to this conversation makes me think about the need for more patience with Mario and the staff. Just something to ponder on.....

Last edited:
Advertisement

Colin: "That is the most talented 4-5 roster on the West Coast."
Klatt: "Mario Cristobal was a big part of that." - Speaking in reference to roster Oregon has.

Mario has been a major disappointment. No doubt about. We should win more games with the roster we have. Duke and MTSU being the two games that standout most. But listening to this conversation makes me think about the need for more patience with Mario and the staff. Just something to ponder on.....

"...Particularly Colin, on the offensive line and that's really where they [Oregon] won the game..."

Klatt: "Mario Cristobal was a big part of that." - Speaking in reference to roster Oregon has.

Mario wasn't the only thing recruiting at Oregon. That Nike money did a lot as well. Oregon, for years now, has been dumping tons into their facilities to wow recruits. I'm shocked at how many people here blindly give Mario all the credit for recruiting there, when they have been recruiting pretty **** well for years. Did Mario make a difference in recruiting? Sure. Was Mario the main draw? No.

Mario wasn't the only thing recruiting at Oregon. That Nike money did a lot as well. Oregon, for years now, has been dumping tons into their facilities to wow recruits. I'm shocked at how many people here blindly give Mario all the credit for recruiting there, when they have been recruiting pretty **** well for years. Did Mario make a difference in recruiting? Sure. Was Mario the main draw? No.
People keep saying this. He signed their highest rated classes ever. It’s not like the Nike money all of a sudden showed up.

Advertisement
People give Mario the credit because he was regarded by Saban as a relentless recruiter. Also, at Oregon, he improved their recruiting significantly. Oregon recruiting class rankings on 247 composite below. Mario as Head Coach for full season in bold, partial season italicized. Top commit ranking in parentheses.

2013 - 19 (20)
2014 - 21 (34)
2015 - 16 (17)
2016 - 28 (173)
2017 - 19 (64) * Taggart incoming transition class; per Wiki Mario was hired Jan 2017, so he helped close out the class
2018 - 13 (57)* Mario became interim head coach in December 2017
2019 - 7 (2)
2020 - 12 (6, 13) -
calling out top 2 since they're better than all non-Mario classes in the last decade
2021 - 6 (31)
2022 - 13 (16) - Mario left early December to Miami. Top commit Josh Connerly committed after he left, but Mario was working him and did try to get him to Coral Gables

Mario has been driving me crazy and this season is making me regret the fact that I'm a UM fan... but his recruiting, specifically in terms of landing top talent, is a fact. Oregon was a 15-25 recruiting school before Mario, and he consistently outperformed that. Also, we're stuck with him for at least 4+ years, so we better hope it translates. Or else we'll never be fuccin again

Oregon wasn’t even pulling in higher ranking classes when they were a playoff team than when Mario was there. That should tell you how good of a recruiter he is.

Also commenting on Oregon pouring money into facilities to wow recruits, what are we doing right now? Complete overhaul of all our facilities and a brand new locker room that isn’t even our actual locker room. It’s just a shiny new placeholder for our next one.

The facts will be right in front of some of your faces and you still refuse to believe it.

The Mario slander at Oregon is a lot of Bs spouted by butthurt Oregon fans when he left.

Mario did a really good job at Oregon.

He brought in their best recruiting classes, and if anyone was paying attention he was on pace to sign the best class maybe in Oregon history this past year before he left.

I think he may have gotten a top 5 maybe top 4 class.

Mario was 35-13 the past 4 years
Which ranked 7th behind Saban, Smart, Dabo, Riley, Day, and Kelly for P5 coaches.

He was 22-1 at home as the Head Coach at Oregon. Almost unbeatable in Autzen, with only loss in OT.

He did win 2 PAC 12 Titles, and people say well he only got to go because Covid outbreak with Washington. He STill WON the friggin game over a 13th ranked Southern Cal team who was undefeated, and got to play the game at home in LA. That was a really good win for Mario.

People say well he won with Herbert. Hey Einstein, who did Dabo win with? Watson and Lawrence, he won 2 titles, but had them for 6 years combined. How about LSU? Burrow. How about Alabama last 2 titles? Mac Jones and Tua. OU had Baker and Kyler. That is usually how you win big, elite QB play.

Look at what Oregon is doing this year behind that elite OL.

People say well Oregon looks better, well they are talented and experienced in the LOS now. I firmly believe they would have same exact record as they do now if he were still coach.

Lose to UGA and win rest of games so far.

Their tough games have been at home where Mario never hardly lost.

Anyways that's my piece.

I also wanted Lane and Hugh Freeze ahead of Mario as Miami HC.

Advertisement
Mario hasnt disappointed me yet. This season is not on one player or one coach. yes he is the figurehead so he will receive the most backlash.

I was hoping for a bit better but the lifelong Miami fan in me was always thinking .500 in year one.

Next year I would be disappointed if we are at this same point 7 games in. But next year I would expect a much different team.

The eternal optimist in me thinks year three is when we take a big step forward but that schedule that year on paper looks legit. But so much can change who knows.

I still hope for 2-3 more wins this year...somehow. A bowl game, maybe another win. More of the young guys starting to get it. Then a strong finish to the class, I think we hit 1-2 homeruns in the portal along with a lot of quality. Then we have our first true off season. Everyone knows what to expect and its just about the work...and maybe a new OC and a different mindset on how the college game is trending.

Mario hasnt disappointed me yet. This season is not on one player or one coach. yes he is the figurehead so he will receive the most backlash.

I was hoping for a bit better but the lifelong Miami fan in me was always thinking .500 in year one.

Next year I would be disappointed if we are at this same point 7 games in. But next year I would expect a much different team.

The eternal optimist in me thinks year three is when we take a big step forward but that schedule that year on paper looks legit. But so much can change who knows.

I still hope for 2-3 more wins this year...somehow. A bowl game, maybe another win. More of the young guys starting to get it. Then a strong finish to the class, I think we hit 1-2 homeruns in the portal along with a lot of quality. Then we have our first true off season. Everyone knows what to expect and its just about the work...and maybe a new OC and a different mindset on how the college game is trending.
Well I am very disappointed in how this season progressed. Really expected to see "improved" coaching across the board with this "elite" staff ... but am still shocked at the 180 turn by the offense under the mandate for the first 5 gams to run the ball ... and poor passing play designs under utilizing the taller WRs / TE's in the red zone. No reason UM should have lost to A&M and that changed the direction of the season. The injuries also ... specifically to the OL and RB's really have been disheartening. Right now it will be a miracle (with the injuries) to pull off a 5 win season let alone bowl eligibility. Hope Mario absolutely kills it with the portal and 2023 recruiting class. 50 new players on this roster should be the goal ... kids that WANT to play. Kids that show up like Colby Young and make an immediate impact.

Then why did Willie Taggart go 4-8?

Advertisement
If Big Manny turns Miami around in say Y2-Y3, is he still a dissappointment?

Are we looking at each individual season until then or are we looking at the next three years-ish as all part of the same rebuilding effort?

I'd argue the latter.
YOOO when you refer to him as Big Manny that ****ttt be having be in tears lmfaooo
Lebron James Wow GIF by Bleacher Report

He beats MTSU and Duke (which he should have), he's 5-2 and fans aren't at his neck as much. He deserves all the ire for losing to sh*t teams.
So sick of hearing how "mario lost" to those two teams. Players on this team don't want it as much as they should. Lack of focus, just lazy, stupid mistakes have plagued this team all season. IDC how much coaches preach basic stuff if the guys on the field actually playing the game don't execute what they've been taught for YEARS, it's not on the coaches.

If there was more depth on this team, I'd be willing to bet there would be some guys warming the bench. Injuries have prevented this.

If the OL sustains any more injury, walk ons will be playing.

Advertisement
Oregon was 4-8 the year before Mario became HC. Just sayin’.
Yeah and that was their worst record by far going back to 1994. It was an outlier caused by bad coaching and losing the team, not talent deficiency. Helfrich was fired for it too…And taggart was 7-6 so what you said is misleading at the least

Oregon wasn’t even pulling in higher ranking classes when they were a playoff team than when Mario was there. That should tell you how good of a recruiter he is.

Also commenting on Oregon pouring money into facilities to wow recruits, what are we doing right now? Complete overhaul of all our facilities and a brand new locker room that isn’t even our actual locker room. It’s just a shiny new placeholder for our next one.

The facts will be right in front of some of your faces and you still refuse to believe it.
It’s not part of the narrative they want to keep spreading, so they’ll just ignore the good aspects of his coaching career.

So sick of hearing how "mario lost" to those two teams. Players on this team don't want it as much as they should. Lack of focus, just lazy, stupid mistakes have plagued this team all season. IDC how much coaches preach basic stuff if the guys on the field actually playing the game don't execute what they've been taught for YEARS, it's not on the coaches.

If there was more depth on this team, I'd be willing to bet there would be some guys warming the bench. Injuries have prevented this.

If the OL sustains any more injury, walk ons will be playing.
The team got outcoached and outclassed. It would be one thing if they lost both games on last second field goals, then you'd really have an argument about the team not being prepared and sleep walking through, but they were flat out handled. That reflects back on Mario and preparation, scheme/planning. It sucks and you may be tired of hearing it but it happened and the blame starts at the top. Manny Diaz lost to FIU, Duke, and La Tech in year 1; no one really mentions the players on that team who lost. It's all Manny Diaz who was a below average coach. Both of the teams Mario lost to are nowhere near top teams (Duke is better than they were last year, but it's not like they are a top team), Mario is just under performing as a coach right now. You can blame the "lack of talent", players attitudes, desire to win, etc all you want but the truth of the matter is until Cristobal turns this around (IF he turns it around), this will be a dark cloud hanging over his head.

Cry about it in the car.

It will be the same story next year, he is not the right guy.

Advertisement
Back