Even Plies know (regarding Ward)

In the early days of CanesInSight, I converted my old recruiting VHS tapes into digital and put music on them. I used a bunch of Plies songs. Real Testament is one of the best albums of that era IMO and he still did good work after that. Here is Andre Johnson:

That's the first time I've scene dres highlights. That's hysterical to do that with roscoe **** near the whole time. Imagine if they had a qb. Basically all of those highlights are against jackson,Killian & the west. Looked like a lil of norland too.

Advertisement
Nah whole different Godfrey even though I know that one WELL peedo & Ariel and luis those were my lil brothers. I got some Hellafied funny stories with Ariel & peedo. I'm the one who put them on with krs one. We used to all **** with the same twins pretty much at the same time. Lol. Then with Eddie and Lou they founded roc sports with Jay. Good times. Reece has always been a hater ever since Hollywood got kilt and pops got back on top. Always had issues with his brothers too. Far as gates, nah plies wasn't talking about him but in the industry and in those street circles he got his rep off of gates work. Cause buddy wasn't never living like that. Narrator sums him up well.
**** I forgot all about that KRS-One moment haha! We were real backpackers back then, so we thought that was the biggest thing in the world for Peedo then.

Oh there's a good chance I have a pic of the twins then if I go through all my old flicks. But yeah Trick, man, that one hurt me as a fan. He used to roll up to Killian when I was in high school in the green donk. Was always a fan. Then once I got to work with him...never meet your heroes they always say. He used to buy out the stock of my Defend Dade shirts. Same ones Pit used to rock (Culo video shoot was at our stage at Calle Ocho)...and again with Khaled, fast forward several years and he has now again encroached and taken Defend Dade and appropriated it in his video. But enough about him lol

Here's the thing with Plies...he wrote Tell Dem Krackers Dat for one of Gates' artists in Fort Myers. He couldn't lay it down right, so Plies recorded it. Gates released it...it got hot in Fort Myers. Plies at this point is doing club promo, etc...now he is suddenly an artist and he never wanted to be. B-Trice was at Edison Mall in Lee County and got the CD. He brought it back to Touche at Slip N Slide. That parlayed into a "deal". Ted basically let them use the SNS logo without actually signing them. Plies released 36 Ounces. Then Bigga Rankin re-released it with him talking over it. It took over Duval/North Florida...Now Ted wants to get behind Plies. Plies was always writing his brother's artists' music. As everyone knows, he's a slick talker and that translates well...so much slang/pronunciations he popularized that is still used today. But he was always a hesitant artist. Him and I just had good creative chemistry and gelled so I could get the work out of him. Which is why I always pushed him to talk about real issues. The production I gave him specifically guided that.

I also was very specific to work with no-name/up and comers. DVS who did Runnin My Momma Crazy, Heard of Me, Make A Movie, Dat B*tch, Stressin was a Cane and went to UM with me. T-Minus (Nicki Minaj "Moment of Life") and Philip Lawrence (Bruno Mar's songwriting partner) all had their first placements on Plies albums (Co-Defendant and You). Midnight Black had basically only did two records for Jeezy at that point. Drumma Boy's first single was Shawty. JR was essentially our go-to for radio records because he had a great ear for classic R&B material (Bust It Baby - Janet Jackson/Two Occassions - The Deele/Becky - Marvin ***). However, my favorite of all the producers I brought on was BC, who does the in-game music for the Houston Rockets now. That is the most talented artist that I ever worked with. Music is so much like sports with "what ifs"

But as soon as that happened, he became an artist and continued to write how he wrote. Music from 36 Ounces though was very different than music after (was much more dboy heavy then...because he was writing that originally for other artists). Plies liked Biggie over Pac. He didn't like Pac actually. He hated when Timbaland compared them on MTV. He is a Nas fan. He likes Blues music over Rap, which also explains some of the country mannerisms in his music (Just The Tip was inspired from a Blues club show). He loved chicks and they loved him...which is why those chick records always hit. He was a prototype (in attitude) WR...flashy, pretty boy, talk a lot of sh*t, always got girls, tell you what they are going to do to you, etc...which explains his position lol oh and he is NOT a Canes fan (he generally like the Gators). So imagine all the sh*t I had to hear during those years. But he also isn't a hater, so he still show love to players from SWFL regardless.

Advertisement
In the early days of CanesInSight, I converted my old recruiting VHS tapes into digital and put music on them. I used a bunch of Plies songs. Real Testament is one of the best albums of that era IMO and he still did good work after that. Here is Andre Johnson:

There wasn’t a locker room in south Florida not bumping real testament

Who was ur people at mixx? It wasn't Luke that gave him that spot. It was papa Keith, and the reason he did all that dance hall was cause of butta and papa Keith too. Cause papa Keith had soul syndicate locked down the dance hall scene. Madhouse was always the **** green eyes did that with Duke's & butta. Khaled definitely always had a good work ethic. I just can't stand this persona he's created. But I get it. He's got filthy rich off that persona.
If you ever heard it was CANCER HI POWER SOUND. Played on mixx 96 the same time.

Yea Papa Keith another one been around for time. I miss Madhouse they took it to Cafe Iguanas an lasted a lonnnng time.

Budda fucco if he sees me always says what up cause i was always the big git looking like a security guar dbut was like 15-16 lol and would be on allll the scenes or big parties.

**** I forgot all about that KRS-One moment haha! We were real backpackers back then, so we thought that was the biggest thing in the world for Peedo then.

Oh there's a good chance I have a pic of the twins then if I go through all my old flicks. But yeah Trick, man, that one hurt me as a fan. He used to roll up to Killian when I was in high school in the green donk. Was always a fan. Then once I got to work with him...never meet your heroes they always say. He used to buy out the stock of my Defend Dade shirts. Same ones Pit used to rock (Culo video shoot was at our stage at Calle Ocho)...and again with Khaled, fast forward several years and he has now again encroached and taken Defend Dade and appropriated it in his video. But enough about him lol

Here's the thing with Plies...he wrote Tell Dem Krackers Dat for one of Gates' artists in Fort Myers. He couldn't lay it down right, so Plies recorded it. Gates released it...it got hot in Fort Myers. Plies at this point is doing club promo, etc...now he is suddenly an artist and he never wanted to be. B-Trice was at Edison Mall in Lee County and got the CD. He brought it back to Touche at Slip N Slide. That parlayed into a "deal". Ted basically let them use the SNS logo without actually signing them. Plies released 36 Ounces. Then Bigga Rankin re-released it with him talking over it. It took over Duval/North Florida...Now Ted wants to get behind Plies. Plies was always writing his brother's artists' music. As everyone knows, he's a slick talker and that translates well...so much slang/pronunciations he popularized that is still used today. But he was always a hesitant artist. Him and I just had good creative chemistry and gelled so I could get the work out of him. Which is why I always pushed him to talk about real issues. The production I gave him specifically guided that.

I also was very specific to work with no-name/up and comers. DVS who did Runnin My Momma Crazy, Heard of Me, Make A Movie, Dat B*tch, Stressin was a Cane and went to UM with me. T-Minus (Nicki Minaj "Moment of Life") and Philip Lawrence (Bruno Mar's songwriting partner) all had their first placements on Plies albums (Co-Defendant and You). Midnight Black had basically only did two records for Jeezy at that point. Drumma Boy's first single was Shawty. JR was essentially our go-to for radio records because he had a great ear for classic R&B material (Bust It Baby - Janet Jackson/Two Occassions - The Deele/Becky - Marvin ***). However, my favorite of all the producers I brought on was BC, who does the in-game music for the Houston Rockets now. That is the most talented artist that I ever worked with. Music is so much like sports with "what ifs"

But as soon as that happened, he became an artist and continued to write how he wrote. Music from 36 Ounces though was very different than music after (was much more dboy heavy then...because he was writing that originally for other artists). Plies liked Biggie over Pac. He didn't like Pac actually. He hated when Timbaland compared them on MTV. He is a Nas fan. He likes Blues music over Rap, which also explains some of the country mannerisms in his music (Just The Tip was inspired from a Blues club show). He loved chicks and they loved him...which is why those chick records always hit. He was a prototype (in attitude) WR...flashy, pretty boy, talk a lot of sh*t, always got girls, tell you what they are going to do to you, etc...which explains his position lol oh and he is NOT a Canes fan (he generally like the Gators). So imagine all the sh*t I had to hear during those years. But he also isn't a hater, so he still show love to players from SWFL regardless.
Interesting tidbid about the song "Shawty." I was listening to one of T-Pain's podcasts and he was interviewing Drumma Boy. The label was hesistant to release "Shawty" because Plies was not a big artist at the time. They wanted to give the record to a bigger artist on the label instead. T-Pain said that if they don't release the record with plies on it, then no one will get the record.

Advertisement
Oh Okay I Understand Will Ferrell GIF by filmeditor
**** the police and their snitch squad running around tagging them, post how you want.

Interesting tidbid about the song "Shawty." I was listening to one of T-Pain's podcasts and he was interviewing Drumma Boy. The label was hesistant to release "Shawty" because Plies was not a big artist at the time. They wanted to give the record to a bigger artist on the label instead. T-Pain said that if they don't release the record with plies on it, then no one will get the record.
True Story. Plies had the streets in a headlock. The challenge was finding a way to do what he did best without losing the edge. His street music was TOO street for radio. We almost did that with the Akon "I Wanna F*ck You" (we leaked that record originally)...it was gutter enough (I Wanna F*ck You) to sound like a Plies record but it was Akon so hella commercial. Also, Hypnotized was the make-up record we got from Akon after we patched things up. Rick Ross' "Cross The Line" was made for us. When we went to Criteria, he was making that for us (to give us a "Jeezy Soul Survivor-type record)...we told him play what he's got on the hard drive instead...we heard the Hypnotized track and took that.

Anyway, back to Shawty...Drumma Boy had a song deal for 10 tracks with Atlantic. Atlantic would send out Beat CDs for artists. On one of the CDs was that Drumma Boy beat. Pain wrote that hook to that beat and Mike Blumstein hit us up just after Christmas and told us he got our single. We recorded the record at Circle House. Fabian mixed it. Atlantic STILL didn't understand how big we were in the streets, so they pushed back. But Pain putting in that word helped push it over the line. We released the record in Feb and several months later we were getting 12k+ spins a week on radio and had a Top 5 Record.

Advertisement
my type of crowd ....
car full of choppers, and everybody quiet
Another fun fact: The last two records to make The Real Testament were "Runnin My Momma Crazy" and "100 Years". I was already getting the album mixed with Ray Seay at The Vault. We'd fly in the producers for their mixes. I flew in Midnight Black for the "Goons Lurkin" mix. He brings me a beat CD and I'm like bro , album is wrapped. He's like, well just in case. The beat for "100 Years" was on there.

Earlier in the day I met up with Mike Caren from Atlantic at Criteria because he wanted to show me "the next big thing" he just signed for Atlantic. It was Flo-rida and he plays me "Birthday"...which is a trash record lol but he got the message quickly and pivoted from trying to make THAT type of music. We that day I was introducing Mike to DVS, to try and get them a song deal at Atlantic like Drumma Boy had. He gave me a beat CD that day too...the track for Runnin My Momma Crazy was on it...I burnt a CD with both of those tracks on them (#1 and #2) and overnighted to Plies. The rest is history. The Real Testament is not the album it is without those two records

Godfrey as in God-free from PEP (Battlecat and Peedo's fam)? If the same one, he's made a name for himself now in Gaming Podcasting...like Podcast HOF.

We def know a lot of the same folk then. The beach was a crazy place back then. Age is for sure catching up though!

The Cipher was Omen and I's paper, which got me into the scene. Omen has written a couple of books on the time period and is working on an autobiography on Craze right now. After we folded the paper, I went in on the label (SNS)/management side which led me to Plies during 04-09. I did all his A&R work (through Becky) and functioned as his management when Gates was locked up after the Gainesville shooting. I still have my 352 Sumter County phone number that I had for the prison calls. When Gates got out, everything went to ****. We were set up at Atlantic for their Number 1 spot at the time, since TI just got roped at the BET Awards, until Gates came out and ruined it all.

I'll never take away Khaled's work ethic, but I'll never vibe with the antics. Khaled still drove the powder blue Phantom up to our studio in Tampa to bring us Out Here Grindin' after I'm So Hood. He's a vulture. From the Palestinian Rebel to pseudo-Jamaican to Terror Squad New Yorker to Dade County 305, and on and on. He's the king of vultures for sure.

But A lot of the Miami Plies hate stems directly from Trick though. Plies' rise corresponds with Trick's decline. And Trick was very much a hater about it. We did "Duck Down" at his spot in Carol City and it was VERY apparent. Plies' was never talking about his brother's life. He was basically a street narrator. Gates is a lowlife. A career criminal that became a millionaire in prison on his brother's back. He talked mostly about what everyday street cats dealt with, which is why it reasonated with them (and can be seen in this thread too). Kept It Too Real, God I'm Tired of Lyin To Ya, Bid Long, 100 Years, Plenty Money, Make A Movie, Gotta Be, etc is what captured his real fans. That was the voice of the streets...that is a feeling everyone in the streets has. ****, even the Stressin record I mentioned earlier is another example. The Miami scene perpetuated this the most and was always very anti-Plies. But Plies never liked Miami anyway, so it's not like it bothered him either. After The Real Testament, which was recorded mostly at SNS on the beach, everything was recorded in Tampa from that point on. The Miami scene is a toxic scene and always has been.

I could talk about this all day I swear. From the marketing strategy to the creation of each and every record. It's my work afterall so no one knows it better and I'm pretty fond of it!

But man, this is about to be the 17th Year Anniversary of The Real Testament...our recruits weren't even born yet!
His perspective could be more accurate than mine but I remember during plies run in miami, literally every car was bumping his ****, even his features was like platinum here

Really the entire tri-county round that time was bumping plies, **** could be toxic but I vividly remember him being the top dawg. Even rappers like kodak mention him as his main influence and that trickled down to this new era of Florida rappers. I tell people all the time plies is like the godfather of this new era of Florida

Man, y’all really got me in my feels this morning reminiscing about all this old school hip-hop. As a youth growing up in south Florida, me and my boys couldn’t wait for the latest tape to drop. Whether it was LeJuan Love, MC Shy-D, Beatmaster Clay-D, Gucci Crew, Afro Rican, the 80’s were a magical time for me. Then there were the bass tapes as well, like DJ Magic Mike, who had those two 12”s in my trunk flexing like a ****. I remember being like 6-7 and my Uncle came to visit and I convinced him to buy me “Throw that D” on cassette 😂. This was back when they actually enforced those “parental advisory” stickers so Unc was my only option. Good times.

Advertisement
His perspective could be more accurate than mine but I remember during plies run in miami, literally every car was bumping his ****, even his features was like platinum here

Really the entire tri-county round that time was bumping plies, **** could be toxic but I vividly remember him being the top dawg. Even rappers like kodak mention him as his main influence and that trickled down to this new era of Florida rappers. I tell people all the time plies is like the godfather of this new era of Florida
Oh for sure! But it took awhile because it was never a focus area. But Miami resistance wasn't from the streets...it was from the industry in Miami. He personally had a bad experience in Miami during college days, that always had him on guard about the city...but the streets are the streets everywhere and its a shared experience...and they aren't worried about industry politics...if you speak to them you got them...and that's what happened with Plies...once Lauderdale was captured, Miami was right in line after. We'd still do shows in Miami because that for the fans. We shot videos (Hypnotized, 100 Years, Bust It Baby) in Miami. We intentionally restricted the Miami industry's access to us.

****, we beeped out "Slip-N-Slide" on "Heard Of Me" because, even though we were on the label, we weren't going to free promote someone/something that was constantly fighting against us. 100% Real N***a and the Gangsta Grillz mixtapes made us impossible to look past at that point...and we hammered the city with all of those. We pressed up like 50k Gangsta Grillz and flooded the city's with Atlantic's street teams.

And yeah, Kodak is a child of Plies for sure. You can here it all through his music/mannerisms.

I tell you what though...success for artists is crazy. One day you can walk into Walmart and then the next you can't. I remember the exact moments and phone calls when grocery shopping was possible and suddenly it wasn't any longer. It's pretty daunting actually.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back