Evan Hinson Decommits

But JG was 6'8" tall and 260 lbs. Hinson might get to 260 lbs. but he ain't gonna get to 6'8" tall.

True...but Jim Graham - a project who some claimed wouldn't make a meaningful catch for us - played for us one season and turned into an NFL all pro. I'm not convinced Hinson is any more of a project that the other players we're bringing in.

Kid looked talented. Video was pretty good. Raw but an athlete. Don't know how that translates into being an all around TE at the next level. Yes we've had some projects work out for us.

But keep in mind that Clive took all of 4 years to finally become a great TE

And Njoku is a wonderful receiving TE but there's reason Standish is in on run plays most times.

Raw talented projects are cool. But if Richt can land Nauta then I won't blink at this loss. If he can't then this loss sucks

Advertisement
He was one of the few "coal shovelers" I was hoping would make it through the culling of the bottom of the class.

I hope we can get him back.

Advertisement
This kid is not a fkn project. Stfu if you don't know for certain what your saying. Kid is a gifted athlete and 6 ft 5. He would need a rs year just because he needs to add weight. By time he's a rs soph he would be 6 ft 5 250 and tearing it up. Not happy about this loss unless the img te is coming in but I'd like both

How can you tell people to shut the **** up and say that he's not a project.. Then proceed to say that he needs a redshirt year because he's not ready?

That is the most contradictory thing I've ever heard. Anyone who isn't ready to play Is what people consider to be "projects"

This kid is not a fkn project. Stfu if you don't know for certain what your saying. Kid is a gifted athlete and 6 ft 5. He would need a rs year just because he needs to add weight. By time he's a rs soph he would be 6 ft 5 250 and tearing it up. Not happy about this loss unless the img te is coming in but I'd like both

How can you tell people to shut the **** up and say that he's not a project.. Then proceed to say that he needs a redshirt year because he's not ready?

That is the most contradictory thing I've ever heard. Anyone who isn't ready to play Is what people consider to be "projects"

Adding weight isn't a project. A project is a kid that's a reach. A kid like Walford who played 1 year in hs and you have to teach the position to.

When your 6 ft 5, really athletic and can play you take that kid every time.

If we were going to move him to DE then yes a project. He's not a project at te

His younger brother is in the 2019 class and is supposed to be a top notch recruit...

Already has offers from Miami and Michigan...

Advertisement
He's a tight end..... It's not that serious. One of the least important positions on offense.

In this case yes because we are loaded at TE and in major need of OL/DL/DB, but after QB and LT it might be the most important position on offense. The TE is actually the main safety valve for a QB on a check down pass, whereas the RB is the last option. The TE is the guy that sets the edge when running to the outside and having a guy like Njoku who is a miss match for LB's probably makes Kayaa feel safe considering he knows he has a guy that can catch, is taller/bigger/faster than the guy covering him, and is most likely gonna be open when all else fails. That's why TE is so important. He is the guy that takes a lot of the pressure off the QB's shoulders.

The situations are different, but a large portion of this board said "WR is not a need" after we missed out on Rudolph, Dixon, and Ermon Lane who were all thought of as sure fire prospects. Now, if Stacy coley leaves we are screwed at wr. If he stays, our 2nd and 3rd best receivers may be Richards and Bruce (assuming Richards comes).

Njoku is a monster and is a potential draft entrant after the 2016 or 2017 season. As of now, I assume Herndon is the only one who may fill his role as a pass catcher. If we get Hinson, he would have one to two years of experience in the system before he gets to start. Reloading is how you build strong depth and win championships.

Last edited by a moderator:

Players are redshirted for a number of reasons its not always because they aren't ready to play.

Advertisement
The situations are different, but a large portion of this board said "WR is not a need" after we missed out on Rudolph, Dixon, and Ermon Lane who were all thought of as sure fire prospects. Now, if Stacy coley leaves we are screwed at wr. If he stays, our 2nd and 3rd best receivers may be Richards and Bruce (assuming he comes).

Njoku is a monster and is a potential draft entrant after the 2016 or 2017 season. As of now, I assume Herndon is the only one who may fill his role as a pass catcher. If we get Hinson, he would have one to two years of experience in the system before he gets to start. Reloading is how you build strong depth and win championships.

I think all positions are of need on every class.
People who say this are dimwits accustomed to following NFL teams where you have a draft every year and
can afford to not emphasize certain positions on certain years.
But in college football, you need to bring in studs at every position, every single year.

But JG was 6'8" tall and 260 lbs. Hinson might get to 260 lbs. but he ain't gonna get to 6'8" tall.

True...but Jim Graham - a project who some claimed wouldn't make a meaningful catch for us - played for us one season and turned into an NFL all pro. I'm not convinced Hinson is any more of a project that the other players we're bringing in.

Kid looked talented. Video was pretty good. Raw but an athlete. Don't know how that translates into being an all around TE at the next level. Yes we've had some projects work out for us.

But keep in mind that Clive took all of 4 years to finally become a great TE

And Njoku is a wonderful receiving TE but there's reason Standish is in on run plays most times.

Raw talented projects are cool. But if Richt can land Nauta then I won't blink at this loss. If he can't then this loss sucks

Graham wasn't even that great that year. It was a good story but dude couldn't catch a cold. Probably dropped more passes than he caught. Saints did him wonders. No coincidence that as soon as he left them he became a mediocre TE again.

The situations are different, but a large portion of this board said "WR is not a need" after we missed out on Rudolph, Dixon, and Ermon Lane who were all thought of as sure fire prospects. Now, if Stacy coley leaves we are screwed at wr. If he stays, our 2nd and 3rd best receivers may be Richards and Bruce (assuming he comes).

I think all positions are of need on every class.
People who say this are dimwits accustomed to following NFL teams where you have a draft every year and
can afford to not emphasize certain positions on certain years.
But in college football, you need to bring in studs at every position, every single year.

100% agree. We are no longer under the Al golden regime. We should not be focused on targeting 2-3 positions and downplaying the losses of others. Bama, Fsu, and Ohio state won national championships, from a personnel standpoint, because they brought in tons of studs at every position each year. The weakest of them transfer or get buried in the depth chart.

Advertisement

Players are redshirted for a number of reasons its not always because they aren't ready to play.

That is true but being redshirted to gain weight means that he isn't ready to play = project

I think we have a shot at Nauta, Hinson had nice potential but we have great depth at TE plus I really like Irvin.. He's really physical reminds me of a better conditioned Dobard coming out

That is true but being redshirted to gain weight means that he isn't ready to play = project

Having to gain weight doesn't make you a project, most players coming out of highschool need to gain weight.

You might need to sit this one out yourself.

Project is different .

You can know a kids a great player but needs more weight / strength or time to learn playbook . So you rs him. Plenty of ballers needed a shirt.

A project is a guy who hasn't played football much , or is pretty new to the game/ position. But has great raw athletic ability. You take a chance hoping that ability translate to football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back