Evaluations need to improve

Advertisement
We went after most of those guys.
Some even left us hanging at the last minute. It’s not like we were chasing Nigel bethel for 2 years because weren’t going after anybody on that list.
But getting a player like Rousseau to give you 8 games and then leave to the draft isn’t a recipe for success either.
Both GR and Phillips would be able to do play this year and things would be even more promising. I know that topic has been debated in here. But if you want to play with Bama you’re gonna have to have some of these elite players stay despite a likely high draft pick.
Even if just one of them stay it’s a huge difference. Instead we are here looking for a transfer portal d end cause the talent drop is huge at that position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We made very few guys on the list a priority. Asante Samuel became a priority in the last month of the cycle after we were scrambling, James Wiggins was committed and dropped, Tutu wasn't a take at all, Moore/Schwartz were lower on our board than kids like Hightower, Wiggins, Pope, and Ezzard, Wildgoose was not recruited, Shaun Davis was not made a priority, Trevon Grimes was turned down when he was in the portal.

The only kids on the list that we made a priority were Surtain, Campbell, Slaton and Marco Wilson (who yes, had no interest bc of the drama with his brother)

We would have gotten Atwell, Samuel, Moore and Grimes (xfer) if we had pushed for them. WR and CB, our two weakest areas last year after LB.

p.s., I don't recall Bootle or Jean-Charles mentioned by the staff. Did we actually even take a real look? Can't remember Robinson either. Even if we lost him to Bama, why didn't we look at him on transfer?

I don’t remember but outside of Surtain and Campbell who left us hanging? Marco? Schwartz?

I thought we didn’t strongly pursue Atwell or Moore, let Wiggins go, didnt at all pursue Bootle or Jean-Charles or Palmer or Weaver, and Samuel we pursued way too late.

Advertisement
I don’t remember but outside of Surtain and Campbell who left us hanging? Marco? Schwartz?

I thought we didn’t strongly pursue Atwell or Moore, let Wiggins go, didnt at all pursue Bootle or Jean-Charles or Palmer or Weaver, and Samuel we pursued way too late.

This pretty much is my recollection. I specifically remember people some local people were talking up Weaver, but our staff was treating him like a Plan C kid, at best. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh stays recruiting NFL DL prospects. We've done well in DL recruiting in our right right, so those tend to sting less.

But looking at the WRs and DBs on this list is just painful (both from a failed evaluation perspective and failed recruiting perspective). We were on more of the DBs, it seems like, but they spurned us, as has been discussed ad nauseum. The WR evals... yeah, that horse has similarly been decapitated and ground into glue.

I hear ya but Pope was a 5* kid everyone wanted.

There were a handful of people who wisely pointed out that Pope didn't have real solid production in HS and was more of a 7 v. 7 star. But for the most part, we ignored that noise based on the * rating. I certainly learned a lesson on that one: at WR, HS production is critical for determining potential college production; don't fall in love with the measurables if the kid isn't catching footballs in actual football games.

Advertisement
Most of these guys are 2017-2018 guys. There was certainly some really poor evaluations. We signed 4 WR in 2018, (three 4 star and one high 3 star) and all of them were busts. Thanks, Ron Dugans. At corner, we targeted most of the top guys but Rumph got shut out by the biggest names.

Let's be real, a lot of the names on this list were not highly coveted guys. A lot of them were 3 star "diamonds in the rough" types who signed at G5 schools or lesser P5 schools. If we would have signed half these guys out of high school everyone here would have been flipping out about our 42nd ranked recruiting class. But there's a reason why not every single NFL player went to major P5 programs. Some develop later, some work twice as hard, and for some the light just comes on once they're in college.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure every draft eligible Hurricane will get picked at some point this year. Can't remember the last time that ever happened. (Although, Carter, Mc Cloud and Jarrid Williams should all be technically in this draft and none of them would likely get drafted) Still not a bad ratio of draftees to non-draftees.

I'm sure there's been mis-evaluations, but I think just due to the shear size of SoFla, its always going to seem like we missed on players while playing Monday morning QB....

evals Weren’t great on Moore, Atwell and a few others.
but I think the bigger issue was having coaches who could not convince the best talent to come; Rumph in particular but he was not alone.
as much as I want game evals and not camp or 7-on-7 evals, I am hopeful that with better recruiters we will also land the ones we want.

Advertisement
Samuels ****es me off the most. He was an easy get, and was obviously really good. We passed on him because he wasn't 8 feet tall and now he'll probably go in the first round. ******* pathetic.

Last edited:
Samuels ****es me off the worst. He's was an easy get, and was obviously really good. We passed on him him because he wasn't 8 feet tall and now he'll probably go in the first round. ******* pathetic.
Here's one as people mentioned in previous posts. Taking Hightower, Pope, Wiggins, and Ezzard over Moore and Tutu. All 4 of those guys we signed suck and Moore and Tutu will be drafted top 3 rounds.

There were a handful of people who wisely pointed out that Pope didn't have real solid production in HS and was more of a 7 v. 7 star. But for the most part, we ignored that noise based on the * rating. I certainly learned a lesson on that one: at WR, HS production is critical for determining potential college production; don't fall in love with the measurables if the kid isn't catching footballs in actual football games.
You hit the nail on the head, learn from mistakes. Coker never did and really only relied on rankings. We saw how that worked. Other guys had their measurables and wouldn’t budge when smaller guys were better players.

Advertisement
Back