ESPN's Matt Bowen praises DBs Elder, Jenkins

ben

Senior
Premium
The best defensive backs in every category - 2017 NFL draft

I won't cut and paste the article but he chooses the best DB by category. See below:

Best overall cover corner - Marshon Lattimore, Ohio State
Best instincts - Jamal Adams, LSU
Best range - Malik Hooker, Ohio State
Jack-of-all-trades - Jabrill Peppers, Michigan
Best press-man skills - Kevin King, Washington
Most physical coverage corner - Marlon Humphrey, Alabama
Most overlooked DB - Budda Baker, Washington
Biggest freak - Obi Melifonwu, Connecticut
Best tackling corner - Desmond King, Iowa
DB I'd want to coach - Tre'Davious White, LSU
Best ball skills - Malik Hooker, Ohio State
Best slot corner - Jourdan Lewis, Michigan
Best transition ability - Gareon Conley, Ohio State
Special teams game-breaker - Adoree' Jackson, USC
Best down-the-field technique - Sidney Jones, Washington

Biggest hitter - Rayshawn Jenkins, Miami
Classic box safety, similar to Johnathan Cyprien. Great at Senior Bowl. Good size and testing numbers. Could play nickel linebacker.

Mid-round sleeper - Corn Elder, Miami
Plays with toughness, good fit at nickel. Can play special teams and sub-packages as a rookie. Competitive at Senior Bowl.

Advertisement
ive seen it all...Rayshawn Jenkins as biggest hitter. This is how i know they dont watch much film. He has gfood range and ball skills..hitting never really been his thing..but we saw improvement every year including this last year.

Imo...Corn will have a long career.

I absolutely love him as a pro , especially in the nickel CB spot abd st's. Kid can cover, tackles well and isn't afraid to bloody his nose.

Hopefully my Eagles snatch him up in the 3rd round. Since we have no cb's, and will be taking a minimum of two.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rayshawn Jenkins is a physical hitter, the last two seasons of his cfb career definitely added a level of enforcement that was missing from his game when he 1st arrived.

He isnt great at one thing but has all of the tools needed to play safety at a consistent above average level, even if it's as a back up role in the NFL. Not sure I see NFL starter in his game but that doesnt take away from the fact that he's an NFL talent with the potential to be a starter one day.

ive seen it all...Rayshawn Jenkins as biggest hitter. This is how i know they dont watch much film. He has gfood range and ball skills..hitting never really been his thing..but we saw improvement every year including this last year.

Rayshawn jenkins is one of Miami's Underrated players in the last decade easily. He had a better career here than bush to imo and I'm a bush fan...
https://twitter.com/mycoltsaccount/status/834892887741591552

Rayshawn jenkins is one of Miami's Underrated players in the last decade easily. He had a better career here than bush to imo and I'm a bush fan...
https://twitter.com/mycoltsaccount/status/834892887741591552

Deon Bush was an all around playmaker at safety, shouldve redshirted going into his sophomore year.

Rayshawn Jenkins had a more consistent career and was able to redshirt which allowed him to play in Diaz's defense and get more recognition bc of it. However if Bush was able to play in Diaz's defense he wouldve made a bigger impact than Jenkins did last year.

It's sort of like the Corn Elder vs Artie Burns comparison.... Artie Burns wouldve made a much bigger impact as a playmaker over what Corn Elder did under Diaz, even though Elder was a beast cb for us last year.

Advertisement
Heaven help those kids who came to UM, and had to suffer a total lack of coaching during Golden's years.

What. A. Waste.

Imo...Corn will have a long career.

I absolutely love him as a pro , especially in the nickel CB spot abd st's. Kid can cover, tackles well and isn't afraid to bloody his nose.

Hopefully my Eagles snatch him up in the 3rd round. Since we have no cb's, and will be taking a minimum of two.

I rarely ever have any inside info.. but i happen to have inside info on this one that i just found out today,,and i remember reading this post a couple days ago...anyway, bad news for you...eagles will not draft elder.. I think they are making a mistake and corn will be a great pro, but it ain't happening in philly based on a very legit source.

Advertisement
Jenkins was an above average player in all the systems he played. He could end up starting very soon depending on where he goes. Is Jamal Adams really that much better than Jenkins? I've never seen Jenkins get beat before but clearly remember Adams getting smoked...and only watched 2 LSU games vs every game
Of Jenkins career. Jenkins is bigger,
Faster, and hits harder than the talking heads top safety in the draft.

Advertisement
Back