ESPN's Bill Connelly on Why He Was Dead Wrong About FSWho 😂😂😂

• Thread starter Deleted member 23667
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23667

i

I thought Florida State would at least be decent​

At any given time, there are a few underachieving blue bloods out in the wild, and especially for the ones that still recruit at mostly high levels -- your USCs, your Texases, your Michigans, your Florida States -- the offseason is forever a good time to talk yourself into recent star recruits and potential, and ignore, well, recent history.

I felt I was pretty measured with my Florida State expectations this offseason. SP+ projected the Noles 27th because of the combination of decent experience and, yes, recent recruiting. I certainly saw that as at least a possibility, especially considering how well new head coach Mike Norvell had performed at Memphis. From my ACC Atlantic season preview this summer:

Norvell inherits a team that is now on its third coaching staff (and fourth offensive coordinator) in four years, but he and offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham should have a lot of fun with versatile talents like receivers Tamorrion Terry and D.J. Matthews and running back (and Texas A&M transfer) Jashaun Corbin. ...

Youth and injury conspired against the 2019 [defense]. ... Experience, combined with full-strength versions of [tackle Marvin] Wilson, end Joshua Kaindoh and safety Jaiden Lars-Woodbey, could result in solid improvement for [defensive coordinator Adam] Fuller, who followed Norvell to town. Sophomore linebacker Amari Gainer could be a star too.

Matthews transferred to Indiana. Terry caught 23 balls and left the team. Corbin is averaging a decent but unexceptional 5.1 yards per carry. Wilson had two TFLs in six injury-plagued games and was lost for the season. Kaindoh is averaging just 1.5 tackles per game. Gainer and Lars-Woodbey have been solid, but the team has had far fewer star performances than expected; meanwhile, four different QBs have thrown more than 20 passes, the surest sign of total instability.

FSU is 2-6 following a 38-22 loss to NC State that wasn't as close as the score suggests. It was the third straight rock-bottom performance following an unlikely upset of North Carolina. The Seminoles are 89th in SP+, ahead of only Syracuse (106th) within the conference. All the turnover and instability of recent years created an unsalvageable team culture; and even if it turns out that Norvell is the right guy for the job, it appears it's going to take him a while to turn this thing around.

Sauce:

Me:
mjbgwx39rve51.jpg

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
The part that is funny is that he spews out the stats of all the "great players" that he predicted would have an impact, as if that justifies why his assessment was wrong.

Meanwhile, he doesn't acknowledge the fact that he ignored F$U's perilous lack of depth and all of the problems that Norvell has created for himself as HC. He just does a mealy-mouthed "even if Norvell is right for the job, it's gonna take more time".

Which is exactly what we have described, but the writers (including this one) do not want to acknowledge. If you are replacing a culture, it will take years. You have to graduate/push out the problem players and then get guys of your own who fit the culture you are trying to install. And there has been plenty of talk about how bad F$U recruiting has been over the past couple of years.

So, yeah, I'm not going to pity some random sportswriter who lazily analyzed the 8 or 10 best players on the F$U roster, and failed to take into account any impact of injuries, senioritis, transfers, or simple production drop-offs.

But, hey, if F$U had its 22 best players from a year ago, and Covid never happened, and Norvell didn't have multiple scandals, and the F$U players actually gave a ****e, I'm sure this sportswriter would have nailed his prediction.

FSU will likely benefit from COVID much like the Canes. They can sign 25 in '21 and '22 while other schools won't have that opportunity unless the NCAA changes course. I wouldn't count Norvell out just yet. He clearly needs to find a QB for '21 along with which players are going to trust the staff vs. create issues in the locker room.

Advertisement
The part that is funny is that he spews out the stats of all the "great players" that he predicted would have an impact, as if that justifies why his assessment was wrong.

Meanwhile, he doesn't acknowledge the fact that he ignored F$U's perilous lack of depth and all of the problems that Norvell has created for himself as HC. He just does a mealy-mouthed "even if Norvell is right for the job, it's gonna take more time".

Which is exactly what we have described, but the writers (including this one) do not want to acknowledge. If you are replacing a culture, it will take years. You have to graduate/push out the problem players and then get guys of your own who fit the culture you are trying to install. And there has been plenty of talk about how bad F$U recruiting has been over the past couple of years.

So, yeah, I'm not going to pity some random sportswriter who lazily analyzed the 8 or 10 best players on the F$U roster, and failed to take into account any impact of injuries, senioritis, transfers, or simple production drop-offs.

But, hey, if F$U had its 22 best players from a year ago, and Covid never happened, and Norvell didn't have multiple scandals, and the F$U players actually gave a ****e, I'm sure this sportswriter would have nailed his prediction.
He didn't put in the preseason effort, and now he's trying to do damage control. **** these writers.

Advertisement
and in 5 months that idiot will fluff FSU again and rank them in the top 20 in his pre season poll.

He can take his old 2020 prediction and just substitute in the names of some of the 2020 F$U statistical leaders, while predicting they will be even better in 2021.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Advertisement
Guy is a hack. Could’ve saved all of his dribble, and just manned up and said that he was way wrong, and eaten his serving of crow, instead of making excuses.

Advertisement
Not sure how anyone could look at last year’s results and this year’s roster and think “hmm FSU is gonna be good in 2020”. Now most of us weren’t predicting the total dumpster fire they’ve become but there’s no way any sports writer should have looked at that team and thought they would win more than 6 or 7 games max.

Advertisement
Back