ESPN+ Which college football teams do the least with the most in recruiting?

Are you suggesting that the bottom of half of, say, Virginia's roster is more talented than Miami? If so, I reject that premise. Most of those are kids that Virginia would have killed to sign out of high school.

There's a reason UVA fell off the cliff so hard after losing a couple players.
And yet they still gave us all we could handle despite losing those couple of players.

I'm suggesting that the difference between Miami’s average players and UVA’s average players is basically negligible in our favor. Also, stacking up 85 players to 85 players is the wrong way of looking at things. Break our guys down by position group and suddenly you start to see our deficiencies that explain why we struggle so much on game day. Don Chaney’s talent is completely negated by an OL that can’t create a hole against a UVA DL. There’s been some variation of that for the past 15 years.

Advertisement
And yet they still gave us all we could handle despite losing those couple of players.

I'm suggesting that the difference between Miami’s average players and UVA’s average players is basically negligible in our favor. Also, stacking up 85 players to 85 players is the wrong way of looking at things. Break our guys down by position group and suddenly you start to see our deficiencies that explain why we struggle so much on game day. Don Chaney’s talent is completely negated by an OL that can’t create a hole against a UVA DL. There’s been some variation of that for the past 15 years.

In your opinion, why are we 5-1? Is it coaching?

In your opinion, why are we 5-1? Is it coaching?
Despite the 5-1 record we don't play too dissimilar to Miami teams of the past. Still reliant on the big play, still playing behind the sticks on second and third down, still allowing offenses to convert on third and longs, and still allowing mediocre QBs to play way better than they should on us. This can go south very quickly.

If you're propping up this 5-1 record as proof Miami is one of the more talented teams in the nation, can you please point to me where all the talent is?

Despite the 5-1 record we don't play too dissimilar to Miami teams of the past. Still reliant on the big play, still playing behind the sticks on second and third down, still allowing offenses to convert on third and longs, and still allowing mediocre QBs to play way better than they should on us. This can go south very quickly.

But that doesn't answer the question. Why are we 5-1?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let me ask you something. Why doesn’t it make sense to you that a team with monumental holes at OL, QB, and WR, and subpar talent at CB and LB ended up 6-6?

You still haven't answered my original question. Why are we 5-1? Did the other teams have inferior talent or inferior coaching?

As to your question, we were 6-7 because we averaged 20 ppg in our seven losses. In six of those losses, we held our opponent to 30 points or below. We overhauled our system and are now averaging 32.8 ppg. That's why we are winning more.

Nobody has ever denied our roster deficiencies compared to the elite teams. However, people like myself have focused on our roster supremacy compared to the rest of the ACC. And every single time an objective third party like ESPN performs a talent analysis, it supports our view.

This year is a perfect example. We're 5-1, and many are focusing on the poor quality of our opponents. But that's always been the case. Miami has a better roster than nearly every team in the conference. The roster has clear flaws. Other teams have much deeper flaws. The difference now is that we have systems that fit the players on both sides of the ball.

Your rallying cry has always been "evaluations." Well, a third party looked at the issue, and found that Miami had the greatest percentage of NFL players from its blue-chip prospects. Number one in hit rate. And the five teams behind it are the best programs in football. As is always the case, Miami is the outlier.

The response is usually, "where are the first rounders?" And it's a fair question. But it has very little to do with evaluations. During ESPN's sample period, Miami missed on Calvin Ridley, Jerry Jeudy and Chris Henderson. That had nothing to do with evaluations. We found them early, offered them early and recruited them like crazy. Unfortunately, we were a bad program that misused our talent. So they went elsewhere.

Which brings us back to the blueprint of success that we've laid out for years. First step is utilizing our current NFL talent in a way that consistently beats inferior conference opponents. Think early Clemson. Second step is building our depth with local talent similar to Charlie Strong-era Louisville. The next step, once we've had some success, is landing the local first rounders that have been going to Alabama and Georgia. The final step is recruiting nationally from a position of power.

It's never just one thing. But talent has always been last on the list of the problems.

Next step is buying family of the Sammy Watkins of the world new homes

You still haven't answered my original question. Why are we 5-1? Did the other teams have inferior talent or inferior coaching?

As to your question, we were 6-7 because we averaged 20 ppg in our seven losses. In six of those losses, we held our opponent to 30 points or below. We overhauled our system and are now averaging 32.8 ppg. That's why we are winning more.
It will all even out over the course of a season given the way we are playing. This is no different than fawning over Al Golden's 7-0 start in 2013 despite seeing obvious flaws instead of letting the season play out. The way we've been playing for the past month does not bode well for the rest of the season if we do not see major improvement in both defense and offense.

Thanks for the 20 ppg stat. Now how much do you contribute the blame to the WR, OL, and QB positions? And I too am waiting on one of your answers. Can you point out to me all the talent on this team that makes us one of the most talented teams in the nation?

Advertisement
Can you point out to me all the talent on this team that makes us one of the most talented teams in the nation?
Yes. Here is a list of the talent that makes us the most talented team in the ACC after Clemson:

D'Eriq King
Three Top 10 RBs out of HS
Two NFL TEs
Two NFL DEs
One of the better DTs in the conference who was #2 in the nation out of HS
NFL safety
Another 4* safety, two 4* strikers and three 4* CBs in the rotation
NFL K
NFL P

What other ACC team has those advantages, besides Clemson? And if you respond by pointing out our holes, please provide an example of an ACC team that does not have even worse issues. Note I'm not counting Notre Dame, but they are probably the second best roster if they're included.

Who is our best former player who's currently in the NFL?

For all the talk about our draft picks, they not only are drafted in late rounds, but they also never seem to do anything in the NFL.

Advertisement
Yes it’s a good thing we’ve avoided fiu duke gt and la tech. We are lucky we’ve played only the easy games from last year (And Clemson)

I think there's 100% agreement that we've "improved" from last year.

However, last year was probably the worst Miami team since the 1970s. "Improvement" from last year is hardly anything to be happy about.

Last edited:
It’s not the same for all teams. I’d classify it as these teams had inferior:
UAB-talent
FSU-both
UL- talent and defensive coaching
CU- both
UVA- talent

The most surprising stat for me was the transfers. Miami had the lowest percentage of transfers of the 14 schools.

Cuz our guys can get on the field and play.
Where as at those other schools elite guys can get buried on the depth chart.

Also speaks that we might cater too much And are too player friendly that it’s so easy here why leave.

I will be very surprised if we win out.

If we go 9-2, it really won't be a particularly impressive 9-2. It'll just be because the ACC (except for Clemson) is so mediocre.

And next year, King will be gone.

Advertisement
Back