ESPN Top Freshman Article

Advertisement
You see 2 south fl sprint champs on the list... players who probably should be at Miami but richt just isn't dynamic enough for these guys. Won't matter if the guys he got make an impact but those guys could have played here especially if Miami had a more modern offense.

Charleton, Schwartz and Ford all south florida players Miami evaluated and passed on.

You see 2 south fl sprint champs on the list... players who probably should be at Miami but richt just isn't dynamic enough for these guys. Won't matter if the guys he got make an impact but those guys could have played here especially if Miami had a more modern offense.

Tf does that even mean? So he had no reason not to take them other than he just thought they were too dynamic? Not possible they didn't want to come or he didn't think they were as good at football as some other guys? We passed on Bookie, and here he is #4 on his suck *** team in tackles. Does that somehow mean it was a mistake not to take him?

And I can't even get started on it not mattering what the guys we got do.

Actually I can. If our guys ball out, we were still supposed to take other guys instead?

I think it's time to move track times down a few notches on the list of most important attributes.

Non sense. We took Hightower and Pope and Wiggins. We cant take everyone. Had nothing to do with that junk u just said.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I'm going to push back on nearly all of that. I assume you're referring to Anthony Schwartz and Terrence Horne (and throw in Johnny Ford for good measure). Those guys aren't at UM because UM didn't actively recruit them, not because they felt the offense wasn't "modern" enough and chose to go elsewhere. I'm no talent evaluator, so I'll just reference the general consensus that Schwartz is a burner with questionable hands and athleticism, while Horne and Ford lack the size to give them great odds of succeeding at the P5 level.

As far as the offense is concerned, what about it is old fashioned? The fact that we occasionally use two tight ends and a fullback? We run RPO, read option, wildcat, jet sweeps, trips, 5 wide, Air Raid concepts, etc. There is certainly room for a critique of play calling in specific instances, but the general modernity of the offense is unquestionable.

Anything can happen down the road. I wish success to those dudes in their endeavors. I even like Ford's skill set a lot and wish we could have made room for him as a scat back. That said, our staff had good reason to pass on them and target the guys we did.

Schwartz is a talent. But I wouldn't trade him for any of the four we took. Hightower, Pope, Wiggins and Ezzard are all more complete receivers than he is.

Actually, it blows my mind to think about the fact that the #1 freshman at Auburn would be the #5 guy at Miami, not of the class, but just in his own position group! Our 2018 class is going to be historic.

Advertisement
The Schwartz debate still rages on! We had a great haul at WR last year so you can't really fault the coaches for "missing" on him.

I remember a good number of people on this board thought he had "track speed" only and wasn't a football player. I remember seeing his film and thinking, sure looks like a player to me so I'm not surprised to see him on that list. I always like to get the fastest guy, but WR is about the last position we need to worry about guys we "missed".

Could've played here?
Horne is shorter than Harley and Thomas, and has 3 catches for 15 yards. Not saying much.
Schwartz is someone that we recruited initially but ended up not really needing or wanting him as much as the other guys.

Just say **** to sound cool eh! 😆

Good chance Rousseau could've been on the list, too.

Not surprised to see the big Polynesian OL at Oregon on the list.

He was unmovable on the camp circuit last year.

Advertisement
I just don't get it, what does "Richt just isn't dynamic enough for these guys mean? I guess he was for Pope, Hightower, Jordan, Silvera, etc. But not Swartz and company?

Jordan has the potential to be the best Frosh TE in decades.

I can't remember a TE straight out of high school who looked as good as this kid.

Charleton, Schwartz and Ford all south florida players Miami evaluated and passed on.

OK?? :noidea:

Given a choice, I think we're much better off with the recruits we went with at those positions with Silvera, Rousseau DL, Pope, Wiggins, Hightower WR, and Lingard RB.

NO WAY would I take Charleton DL, Schwartz WR and Ford RB over anyone at those positions we decided to go with. Schwartz is good but he had no interest in us ...so good luck playing elsewhere, he won't be missed

Lots of good players in South Florida, but sorry, not everyone can or will be a Cane

Advertisement
OK?? :noidea:

Given a choice, I think we're much better off with the recruits we went with at those positions with Silvera, Rousseau DL, Pope, Wiggins, Hightower WR, and Lingard RB.

NO WAY would I take Charleton DL, Schwartz WR and Ford RB over anyone at those positions we decided to go with. Schwartz is good but he had no interest in us ...so good luck playing elsewhere, he won't be missed

Lots of good players in South Florida, but sorry, not everyone can or will be a Cane

Didn't know you were allowed to only take one at each position genius

Didn't know you were allowed to only take one at each position genius

Trouble reading huh?

My point is clear.

Any of those we selected at those positions are better and have more upside than the three you're suggesting we should have taken. We got what we wanted in the numbers we wanted.

Glad they are doing well at the colleges that wanted them and they selected. But no one in their right mind unless they're a troll would suggest we should have taken lesser talent like those you're suggesting over those we got.

We didn't miss out on anything. We simply didn't want or need them. I do wish them well.

If your point is only that there is an ungodly amount of talent in S. Fla that can contribute to major programs, then I totally agree

Last edited:
Could've played here?
Horne is shorter than Harley and Thomas, and has 3 catches for 15 yards. Not saying much.
Schwartz is someone that we recruited initially but ended up not really needing or wanting him as much as the other guys.

Idgaf how short somebody in the sense I'd take a guy like asante samual over a Robert knows. I'd take that super fast kid that went to auburn over a cam Davis. Problem is those guys don't fit richt pre historic offense. That would be fine if riches offense was worth something. Its not.

Advertisement
Back