ESPN: 'They're in a deep, deep hole': Inside the 6-year unraveling of Florida State football

Some alarming stuff in there but there were also a LOT of parallels to us...

- 7+ years of recruiting QB failures
- hard charging/intense/brusque OL coach that alienated the players and the unit underarchieved
- sense of entitlement in the lockeroom
- players stealing from teammates
- dysfunction at the AD
- Coach's undying loyalty to his assistants
- Corching hires
- Battle to upgrade facilities
That was my first reaction- Jimmy had similar issues here with leadership, then Shalala was around at one of the worst possible times, and the academic folks wanting their due.

I think that's a recipe/mindset for most stagnating programs; admin and HC not on the same page, egos flare and things end up hostile. It was just a perfect storm for FSU with bad mistakes being followed by worse

Advertisement
Our Canes greatness is in no way tied to other teams' rise or fall.

If our Canes can compete at an elite level, day in and day out, all we be right in the Universe.

1605834015423.gif

Not really. From 2007 onward we’ve had virtually no off field problems. Bad coaching and bad coaching hires, yes, most definitely. Facilities, while not at SEC or Clemson levels, have also markedly improved slowly but surely since then. Is there room for improvement? Yes. But we’re not in some declining falling to the bottom state as far as that goes.
Yes, should have clarified....thinking specifically of 2006

Advertisement
Some alarming stuff in there but there were also a LOT of parallels to us...

- 7+ years of recruiting QB failures
- hard charging/intense/brusque OL coach that alienated the players and the unit underarchieved
- sense of entitlement in the lockeroom
- players stealing from teammates
- dysfunction at the AD
- Coach's undying loyalty to his assistants
- Corching hires
- Battle to upgrade facilities
Accurate. Although both programs do not have their entitlement limited to the locker room. The fans are also entitled .

WTF?

"We have a top-20 public university to sell."

On what planet is F$U a "Top 20 public university"? I guess they figure that if the Gaytors can claim to be "Top 10", then nobody is fact-checking.
According to US News and World Report, UF is #6 and FSU is #19 in public universities. I hate both of them, but they are not lying.

If you include private schools UF is #30, Miami is #49 and FSU is #58

I know we hate Florida State, but seeing them so terrible isn’t good for us either.

1. Makes the rivalry game mean nothing

2. Kids that used to go to FSU are now going to the SEC. That continues to build the SEC’s allure as the hands down best conference.

3. Along with point #2, the ACC now only has Clemson as a national team making it look like a weak conference.

A decent FSU is good for a good Miami team.
Absolute sophistry

Advertisement
Agree, F$U going 0-12 is a perfect season. But, I will have to say there was something special about denying the ‘Noles a NC while winning ours.

Let’s get Miami back to elite and not worry about the school formerly known as the Florida State College for Women.

Usually, if a story is this comprehensive and long is about major NCAA infractions/bombshell allegations like what happened to us. But this article is just on about how much the program absolutely sucks.

Total lack of competent leadership... 👇

"... Wilcox also failed to properly account for Taggart's buyout with Oregon, according to two sources close to the situation, which also included paying off the remainder of his buyout from his previous stop at USF. The combined price tag to hire Taggart was $34.5 million... "

I really thought Taggart was an awful coach (which could still be true). I knew Jimbo left it in a tough spot, but it sounds like Taggart was screwed from the start. FSU is broke and screwed, Norvell clearly isn’t the answer and it sounds like they may give him 4 years lol.

Advertisement
Total lack of competent leadership... 👇

"... Wilcox also failed to properly account for Taggart's buyout with Oregon, according to two sources close to the situation, which also included paying off the remainder of his buyout from his previous stop at USF. The combined price tag to hire Taggart was $34.5 million... "

How does something like this happen?

I’ve never heard of this type of incompetence, ever, in the business world...and not just him, either. Didn’t he have advisers and so forth, lawyers, working with him to put together that contract?

It is just hard to believe that the contract went through without that enormous detail being noticed.

How does something like this happen?

I’ve never heard of this type of incompetence, ever, in the business world...and not just him, either. Didn’t he have advisers and so forth, lawyers, working with him to put together that contract?

It is just hard to believe that the contract went through without that enormous detail being noticed.
It is staggering incompetence isn't it?

Add is Taggert's $18MM buyout from FSU, and that makes him a $52.5MM man to FSU's ledger.

Totally worth it at 9-12 record.

How does it happen? Rock stars aren't really rock stars, they just make bigger mistakes because the commas move left with their decisions (or lack there of). Biggest thing I've learned since joining the ranks of capitalist pigs is how little talent there is spread across x, y, amd z world.

It is staggering incompetence isn't it?

Add is Taggert's $18MM buyout from FSU, and that makes him a $52.5MM man to FSU's ledger.

Totally worth it at 9-12 record.

How does it happen? Rock stars aren't really rock stars, they just make bigger mistakes because the commas move left with their decisions (or lack there of). Biggest thing I've learned since joining the ranks of capitalist pigs is how little talent there is spread across x, y, amd z world.

I don’t know about that. Maybe it’s publicly funded academia. I wouldn’t last ten seconds if I made .0001% of a mistake like that.

Advertisement

I've never heard it enunciated in that particular way, but THAT is dead on.

"In the aftermath of Fisher's departure, multiple sources close to the situation said Wilcox, who is Black, quickly determined he wanted to hire a minority coach. While several boosters wanted to reach out to Miami's Mark Richt, and Mack Brown had expressed interest, Wilcox's list was narrow: Vanderbilt's Derek Mason, recently fired Texas coach Charlie Strong and Kevin Sumlin, whom Fisher replaced at Texas A&M. When another administrator suggested Willie Taggart, Wilcox scoffed, believing Taggart wouldn't leave Oregon's lavish facilities after just a year on the job there."

Wow. They were doomed no matter what.

Advertisement
Back