Espn ranks Miami as 23rd best coaching job.

Win, and it's a top 10 job. Problem is we have had 10 years of mediocre play. And yet we are rated 23rd. ***** everyone else!

Advertisement
Top 10 coaching gigs don't have revolving doors and UM has always been a Top 5 pre-NFL job.Alot of coaches in the NFL coached in some capacity in Coral Gables. OB was empty in the Big East days so we cant blame the stadium.

Wrong. Coaches could go from miami to nfl HC in four/five years. Great coaches want to coach in nfl.
Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, Butch

As for the stadium, it was pretty packed in and sold out a lot in 2001 to 2004

It should be a top ten gig easy
I went to games during that period and they weren't all sold out.It never had the amenities/facilities to be a Top 10 gig. South Carolina lost alot of games for a long stretch during that period but still packed 80,000 in their stadium.Those teams were under 5 wins.

The question is coaching gig not attendance.

Name a program that sent four straight HCs to NFL

Here's attendance numbers btw

2001 6 282,972 46,162
2002 6 417,233 69,539
2003 7 406,945 58,135
2004 6 354,803 59,134

Oh and over past five seasons Oregon has never averaged more than 54000

Doesn't Oregon have a stadium that holds around 50k? Strong argument bro....LOL!

That's the point if you want to argue attendance

Have you heard Oregon has attendance problems?
Maybe if they had 50k w 30k empty seats they'd hear same "fans don't support team" BS

When we win as much as they've been doing, our average attendance is 5k or more higher than their stadium holds.

We don't have an attendance problem. And if our stadium held 54k we wouldn't hear it as much if at all. We have a coach problem

lOLOLOLOLOLOLolLLoLOL

23. Miami (Fla.)
A number of coaches, especially those in the ACC, are down on Miami. "It's a s---- job," one coach said. Well, all right then. One thing that particularly sticks out to rival coaches is a lack of atmosphere for Miami's home games. Unless the opponent is Florida State, it's a ghost town. It makes sense, of course. The Hurricanes are playing 30-60 minutes from campus, depending on traffic, and in a part of town that has little else going on. What do you expect? "The Orange Bowl was awesome," a coach told me last fall. "How they didn't do something on that site, I'll never know. They're hurting now." Upgrades are on the way for Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life Stadium -- but will that really bring in new or existing Miami fans? It's something the school is going to have to address if it's serious about growing the football program and not merely leaning on the past.

But that past does mean something. The history of "the U" is something that resonates, but more with adults than recruits. Having survived the NCAA's recent investigation, Miami now must do some soul-searching if it truly intends to reinvent itself. On the bright side, there is so much talent within a 100-mile radius of campus. Coach Al Golden has signed as many as any ACC Coastal program, and yet he hasn't done a whole lot with it. Miami is not completely broken, but it's in desperate need of repairs.

23rd? With the merry gang of twits we have running this school, I'd put this coaching job at the dead bottom of the barrel.

I've already argued this job isn't as attractive as some of our fans think.

Our success was 15 years ago ... We're at over a decade of mediocrity. We're behind the times on facilities, and our game-day experience is lacking. What we offer is a great history and great location, but without the facilities, game-day, and big check ... We'r not getting a big name HC to leave their current gig.

I also disagree with the guys talking about this is an NFL launching pad job.

Those days are over ... The college game pays too much, and the coaches have total control over their program! We need a quality COLLEGE coach ... Someone who fully understands and embraces recruiting. An NFL guy, trying to go back to the NFL, won't recruit well enough to have success, IMO.

As I've said ... Justin Funte, Lane Kiffin, and Greg Schiano will be the likely candidates to replace Golden. Nobody else is leaving their program ... Not Mullen, or RichRod, or Stoops, or Dantonio, or Pinkel, or Strong, or Mora. Nobody, other than an assistant, is leaving a Power 5 team to come to Miami.

Accept it!

Advertisement

Our success was 15 years ago ... We're at over a decade of mediocrity. We're behind the times on facilities, and our game-day experience is lacking. What we offer is a great history and great location, but without the facilities, game-day, and big check ... We'r not getting a big name HC to leave their current gig.

Those days are over ... The college game pays too much, and the coaches have total control over their program! We need a quality COLLEGE coach ... Someone who fully understands and embraces recruiting. An NFL guy, trying to go back to the NFL, won't recruit well enough to have success, IMO.

As I've said ... Justin Funte, Lane Kiffin, and Greg Schiano will be the likely candidates to replace Golden. Nobody else is leaving their program ... Not Mullen, or RichRod, or Stoops, or Dantonio, or Pinkel, or Strong, or Mora. Nobody, other than an assistant, is leaving a Power 5 team to come to Miami.

Accept it!

Wrong on many accounts. Miami offers the most important thing to winning in college football: access to talent.

So what if the last success was 15 years ago? Many other of the great programs have gone through longer droughts. Then they turned themselves around once they hired the right coach. See Alabama with Saban and USC with Carrol as two examples.

Facilities and game day experience have nothing to do with why Miami losing or why a coach would not come to Miami. The only thing that would keep a big name coach from coming to Miami is money like you said. You claim that the coaches you named wouldn't leave their programs to come to Miami... Well that doesn't really prove anything. Those coaches wouldn't leave to go to any other school, not just Miami. How many "big name" coaches make lateral moves? Not very many.

Finally, the days of a NFL launching pad aren't over. The best coaches want to win at the highest level and the NFL is the highest level of competition. And Miami needs a coach that embraces coaching, not another recruiter. Of course, a coach that understands recruiting is needed but Miami really needs some Xs and Os guys that can put the talent in a position to succeed.

Wrong. Coaches could go from miami to nfl HC in four/five years. Great coaches want to coach in nfl.

I went to games during that period and they weren't all sold out.It never had the amenities/facilities to be a Top 10 gig. South Carolina lost alot of games for a long stretch during that period but still packed 80,000 in their stadium.Those teams were under 5 wins.

The question is coaching gig not attendance.

Name a program that sent four straight HCs to NFL

Here's attendance numbers btw

2001 6 282,972 46,162
2002 6 417,233 69,539
2003 7 406,945 58,135
2004 6 354,803 59,134

Oh and over past five seasons Oregon has never averaged more than 54000

Doesn't Oregon have a stadium that holds around 50k? Strong argument bro....LOL!

That's the point if you want to argue attendance

Have you heard Oregon has attendance problems?
Maybe if they had 50k w 30k empty seats they'd hear same "fans don't support team" BS

When we win as much as they've been doing, our average attendance is 5k or more higher than their stadium holds.

We don't have an attendance problem. And if our stadium held 54k we wouldn't hear it as much if at all. We have a coach problem

lOLOLOLOLOLOLolLLoLOL

I am not clear what your point is I guess. You tried to compare our attendance to Oregon because we average around the same attendance annually. I would LOVE to see the numbers of actual people in the seats, not tickets sold.

Just so I am clear are you trying to tell us that Oregon would stil only average around 50k per game if they had a 75k capacity stadium? IF so I would strongly disagree with that statement.

I can't blame ESPN's ranking for Miami under current circumstances but with an administration that cares about a football program, it should easily be a top 5 position.

Top 10 coaching gigs don't have revolving doors and UM has always been a Top 5 pre-NFL job.Alot of coaches in the NFL coached in some capacity in Coral Gables. OB was empty in the Big East days so we cant blame the stadium.

You actually killed your own argument.

If it was a top TEN job, using UM to move on to the NFL wouldnt make it a Top 10 job.

And as for stadium capacity, a 4 yr period doesnt make it a "Top 10" job.

You want to talk about attendance? Texas coaches were seriously publicly COMPLAINING that only 90,000 fans showed up to games this year.

Advertisement

Accept it!

Wrong on many accounts. Miami offers the most important thing to winning in college football: access to talent.

So what if the last success was 15 years ago? Many other of the great programs have gone through longer droughts. Then they turned themselves around once they hired the right coach. See Alabama with Saban and USC with Carrol as two examples.

Facilities and game day experience have nothing to do with why Miami losing or why a coach would not come to Miami. The only thing that would keep a big name coach from coming to Miami is money like you said. You claim that the coaches you named wouldn't leave their programs to come to Miami... Well that doesn't really prove anything. Those coaches wouldn't leave to go to any other school, not just Miami. How many "big name" coaches make lateral moves? Not very many.

Finally, the days of a NFL launching pad aren't over. The best coaches want to win at the highest level and the NFL is the highest level of competition. And Miami needs a coach that embraces coaching, not another recruiter. Of course, a coach that understands recruiting is needed but Miami really needs some Xs and Os guys that can put the talent in a position to succeed.

You either live in denial, or the past ...

If the job was that attractive, we wouldn't have hired Shannon or Golden.

People think we hired Golden because he was cheap ... But that's not the reason. He was hired because he accepted the limitations of the program.

Dan Mullen told them what needed to be changed to compete, TODAY ... And because of that, he was considered too arrogant for the job.

The recruiting base would matter if there was some rule that made South Florida kids stay home. But there isn't ... And the best programs cherry-pick the kids they want. Bama isn't just getting the kids in their area and coaching them up ... Neither is Ohio State. They're getting the best talent from around the country, including South Florida.

Coaches know the location is talent rich ... But as Muschamp said, Florida had a rough go recruiting against Auburn's facilities. And relationships only matter when your program is on par with the competition ...

But you'll see ... Watch who the next hire is.

And keep telling yourselves it's because the admin is too cheap to pay a coach, even though that's not the issue.

Also ... The fact that you called coming to Miami from Mississippi State, Arizona, UK, Michigan State, Mizzou, and UCLA a "LATERAL move" means our program is really not that special.

And that's my point ... We're not special, don't have exceptional facilities, have an average game-day experience, and haven't won in years! It's what makes getting any decent coach that much tougher.

Comparing what Bama and USC did is ridiculous! Saban was given a blank check, and Pete Carroll reinvented himself. Nobody thought Carroll was some genius before he got to USC.

That's why I'm suggesting guys like Funte, Kiffin, and Schiano will be our candidates. We're not giving anyone a blank check ... So, we're gonna gamble that Fuente is the next young coach to become a star, or that Schiano or Kiffin will be much better running their next college program than they were running their last.

The UM football program, assuming Al Golden to continues to underachieve, will be a reclamation project. One with a great history, location, and recruiting area ... But a program that will require resuscitation. Going with a coach, like Pete Carroll was, who needs to re-invent himself might be our only option.

Should compare our attendance to Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Stanford, etc....teams in major cities. In reality, we should be compared to private schools. Our enrollment is half of Oregon's and we are in Miami, not Eugene. Much more competition for your average Saturday after noon entertainment dollar. Btw, Oregon's capacity was 41k until 2001, so let's not act like they are anything more than the product of some Billionaires hobby.

Should compare our attendance to Northwestern, Georgia Tech, Stanford, etc....teams in major cities. In reality, we should be compared to private schools. Our enrollment is half of Oregon's and we are in Miami, not Eugene. Much more competition for your average Saturday after noon entertainment dollar. Btw, Oregon's capacity was 41k until 2001, so let's not act like they are anything more than the product of some Billionaires hobby.

Great points. And we also have a large percentage of out of state students who do not stay in Miami post-graduation

Great points. And we also have a large percentage of out of state students who do not stay in Miami post-graduation

I'm guessing alot of instate students leave soFla post-graduation as well.
Everytime I've attended UM road games at ACC venues, I see alot of UM grads, many originally fro soFla.

Advertisement
Some good points in your post.
However, this school nabbed their first, second, third,etc choice.
Lots of established head coaches turned down UM after Lou Saban and Schnellenberger left.
Sort of the same deal after Erickson, when Butch was hired.
Erickson was somewhat of an exception as he was a rising head coach at Wazzu.
But in that case we were sort of lucky that Jankovich was our AD, as he knew Erickson
and his dad.
This program has never been, and will never be, about poaching an elite head coach.
It will be about being lucky or, preferably, being smart in identifying coaches on the rise.
This line about "who would want to coach down here?" is another that needs to be retired, and
soon.
Flush it down the toilet with "there aren't any quality HS OLmen in Florida", "I respect f$U because
they have always been classy with us.." mumbo jumbo, and so on.

As I noted in a previous post in this thread, no such thing as a perfect program.
All programs have their pluses and minuses.

Accept it!

People think we hired Golden because he was cheap ... But that's not the reason. He was hired because he accepted the limitations of the program.

Dan Mullen told them what needed to be changed to compete, TODAY ... And because of that, he was considered too arrogant for the job.

The recruiting base would matter if there was some rule that made South Florida kids stay home. But there isn't ... And the best programs cherry-pick the kids they want. Bama isn't just getting the kids in their area and coaching them up ... Neither is Ohio State. They're getting the best talent from around the country, including South Florida.

Coaches know the location is talent rich ... But as Muschamp said, Florida had a rough go recruiting against Auburn's facilities. And relationships only matter when your program is on par with the competition ...

And keep telling yourselves it's because the admin is too cheap to pay a coach, even though that's not the issue.

Also ... The fact that you called coming to Miami from Mississippi State, Arizona, UK, Michigan State, Mizzou, and UCLA a "LATERAL move" means our program is really not that special.

And that's my point ... We're not special, don't have exceptional facilities, have an average game-day experience, and haven't won in years! It's what makes getting any decent coach that much tougher.

Comparing what Bama and USC did is ridiculous! Saban was given a blank check, and Pete Carroll reinvented himself. Nobody thought Carroll was some genius before he got to USC.

That's why I'm suggesting guys like Funte, Kiffin, and Schiano will be our candidates. We're not giving anyone a blank check ... So, we're gonna gamble that Fuente is the next young coach to become a star, or that Schiano or Kiffin will be much better running their next college program than they were running their last.

The UM football program, assuming Al Golden to continues to underachieve, will be a reclamation project. One with a great history, location, and recruiting area ... But a program that will require resuscitation. Going with a coach, like Pete Carroll was, who needs to re-invent himself might be our only option.

Im not going to sit here and say that any school can be great with good coaching. Even the best coaches can't overcome some things like Wake Forest for example.. they just might never be good.

But a place like Miami... no excuse what so ever. If they aren't winning, 9 times out of 10 I would say coaching is the issue. As it is right now. With location, academics, recruiting hot bed, tradition, weak conference and newly renovated stadium (off campus is just another excuse and if anything it only effects a small part of students that might come if it was on campus.. yet we have way less students than most schools anyway so it wouldn't make a difference)

You sound like a self loathing Miami fan.

The hires of Shannon and Golden have nothing to do with the attractiveness of the Miami job. You make up some nice "facts to support your incorrect theory such as saying Golden was "hired because he accepted the limitations of the program." A complete falsehood on your part.

You missed the point about Miami being talent rich. Even if the best recruits, and I assume you mean the "5 star" guys all are cherry picked from South Florida, there is still more than enough talent for Miami to be elite. That is why the location of Miami is so great. You can build a championship caliber squad with the "3 star" and "4 star" guys from down here.

I never said Miss State, Arizona, UK, etc... were lateral moves. Those programs are not in the same stratosphere as Miami. What I said that just because "big name" coaches wouldn't move laterally to Miami does not mean anything because "big name" coaches rarely move laterally in college football no matter the university.

Again, you missed the point about Alabama and USC. Those were two storied programs, like Miami, that were dormant for about 20 or so years until the right coach was hired. Finally, once the right coach was hired, they started winning again. Here is a hint: every coach prior to Saban was given a blank check and they couldn't succeed. Alabama ALWAYS had top notch facilities but that did not matter at all for Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, or Mike Shula.

Money is the only issue that would make Miami unattractive to a free agent coach. Stadium, facilities, and all that other non-sense means nothing to a good coach that sees all the talent right outside the door. You even contradict yourself by saying that Miami won't give anyone a "blank check" which means money is the issue.

It's always sad to see a Miami fan say Miami isn't special. Miami is probably the most unique and special football program in the country. There is no other program that is like Miami. Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc... are special in their own small ways but all are very much alike. Miami football is different than everyone else and that spirit will always be there, now it is just waiting on the right coach to bring it back to life.

And even if you don't want to believe in what I just wrote, Miami is special because of its proximity to so much talent. That is the real reason Miami will always be a coach away from greatness and what makes it such an attractive head coaching job.

Advertisement
You sound like a self loathing Miami fan.

The hires of Shannon and Golden have nothing to do with the attractiveness of the Miami job. You make up some nice "facts to support your incorrect theory such as saying Golden was "hired because he accepted the limitations of the program." A complete falsehood on your part.

You missed the point about Miami being talent rich. Even if the best recruits, and I assume you mean the "5 star" guys all are cherry picked from South Florida, there is still more than enough talent for Miami to be elite. That is why the location of Miami is so great. You can build a championship caliber squad with the "3 star" and "4 star" guys from down here.

I never said Miss State, Arizona, UK, etc... were lateral moves. Those programs are not in the same stratosphere as Miami. What I said that just because "big name" coaches wouldn't move laterally to Miami does not mean anything because "big name" coaches rarely move laterally in college football no matter the university.

Again, you missed the point about Alabama and USC. Those were two storied programs, like Miami, that were dormant for about 20 or so years until the right coach was hired. Finally, once the right coach was hired, they started winning again. Here is a hint: every coach prior to Saban was given a blank check and they couldn't succeed. Alabama ALWAYS had top notch facilities but that did not matter at all for Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, or Mike Shula.

Money is the only issue that would make Miami unattractive to a free agent coach. Stadium, facilities, and all that other non-sense means nothing to a good coach that sees all the talent right outside the door. You even contradict yourself by saying that Miami won't give anyone a "blank check" which means money is the issue.

It's always sad to see a Miami fan say Miami isn't special. Miami is probably the most unique and special football program in the country. There is no other program that is like Miami. Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc... are special in their own small ways but all are very much alike. Miami football is different than everyone else and that spirit will always be there, now it is just waiting on the right coach to bring it back to life.

And even if you don't want to believe in what I just wrote, Miami is special because of its proximity to so much talent. That is the real reason Miami will always be a coach away from greatness and what makes it such an attractive head coaching job.

Not self-loathing ... Realistic.

I know what Mullen told Miami. And I know that he is not alone is his evaluation of the program. I also know what Kirby Hocutt said about hiring a coach ... And the primary consideration being someone that wants the job. If the job is so attractive, today, why were we talking about Golden, Trestman, and Edsal to be the coach after we fired Shannon?

We agree that the location is an advantage for a quality coach.

Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas ... Edsall left UConn for Maryland ... Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas ... Petersen left Boise for Washington ... Sarkisian left Washington for USC ... Mike Riley left Oregon State for Nebraska ... Gary Andersen left Wisconsin for Oregon State ... Paul Chryst left Pitt for Wisconsin ...

So, if we can't get a coach to leave Miss State, Zona, or UK ... It means they think those jobs are equal to, or above, the Miami gig. That's where w are, today.

I didn't miss the point. I agree, the right coach does matter.

Where we disagree is that, objectively, I don't think coaches see the job as special. So, if it's not a true "destination job", every coach we hire will be a gamble.

Again ... Guys like Fuente, Kiffin, or Schiano are the candidates the 23rd best program will be evaluating, IMO.

Not self-loathing ... Realistic.

I know what Mullen told Miami. And I know that he is not alone is his evaluation of the program. I also know what Kirby Hocutt said about hiring a coach ... And the primary consideration being someone that wants the job. If the job is so attractive, today, why were we talking about Golden, Trestman, and Edsal to be the coach after we fired Shannon?

We agree that the location is an advantage for a quality coach.

Charlie Strong left Louisville for Texas ... Edsall left UConn for Maryland ... Bielema left Wisconsin for Arkansas ... Petersen left Boise for Washington ... Sarkisian left Washington for USC ... Mike Riley left Oregon State for Nebraska ... Gary Andersen left Wisconsin for Oregon State ... Paul Chryst left Pitt for Wisconsin ...

So, if we can't get a coach to leave Miss State, Zona, or UK ... It means they think those jobs are equal to, or above, the Miami gig. That's where w are, today.

I didn't miss the point. I agree, the right coach does matter.

Where we disagree is that, objectively, I don't think coaches see the job as special. So, if it's not a true "destination job", every coach we hire will be a gamble.

Again ... Guys like Fuente, Kiffin, or Schiano are the candidates the 23rd best program will be evaluating, IMO.

No, not realistic.

Even if Mullen said what you claim he said, the bottom line is that Mississippi State was willing to pay him more than Miami would offer him (now he's making over $4 million per year). Golden, Trestman, Edsall were in the discussion after Shannon was fired because (1) Miami wouldn't pay a huge salary, (2) the coaching search committee did a poor job and (3) the pool of available candidates was not large.

If Miami doesn't get a coach to leave Miss State, Arizona or Kentucky, it is because Miami did not offer a competitive salary. Nothing more, nothing less. Not sure why you are naming these schools as I'm not aware that Miami ever went after a coach from Arizona or Kentucky.

Most of those coaches you listed left for more money to a more prestigious which is the point. Miami could lure those coaches you named if they paid a competitive salary because outside of USC, Miami is vastly superior to every program. And those guys listed aren't what I would consider big name guys. Miami, or anyone for that matter, is not pulling a Saban type coach away. But that doesn't mean Miami is not a top 10 job.

Putting money issues aside, if a coach doesn't think Miami is a top flight job, then objectively he is not very smart.

Even the best coaches can't overcome some things like Wake Forest for example.. they just might never be good.

Wake has an ACC title since Miami has joined. Duke has played for the ACC title. Which makes what Miami has done over this last decade even more pathetic in comparison.

Advertisement
Back