Espn ranks Miami as 23rd best coaching job.

pimpcane1

Junior
23. Miami (Fla.)
A number of coaches, especially those in the ACC, are down on Miami. "It's a s---- job," one coach said. Well, all right then. One thing that particularly sticks out to rival coaches is a lack of atmosphere for Miami's home games. Unless the opponent is Florida State, it's a ghost town. It makes sense, of course. The Hurricanes are playing 30-60 minutes from campus, depending on traffic, and in a part of town that has little else going on. What do you expect? "The Orange Bowl was awesome," a coach told me last fall. "How they didn't do something on that site, I'll never know. They're hurting now." Upgrades are on the way for Joe Robbie/Pro Player/Dolphin/Dolphins/Land Shark/Sun Life Stadium -- but will that really bring in new or existing Miami fans? It's something the school is going to have to address if it's serious about growing the football program and not merely leaning on the past.

But that past does mean something. The history of "the U" is something that resonates, but more with adults than recruits. Having survived the NCAA's recent investigation, Miami now must do some soul-searching if it truly intends to reinvent itself. On the bright side, there is so much talent within a 100-mile radius of campus. Coach Al Golden has signed as many as any ACC Coastal program, and yet he hasn't done a whole lot with it. Miami is not completely broken, but it's in desperate need of repairs.

Advertisement
We should be higher even w/ our incompetent administration if we haven't been so bad the last 10 years

A little low imo. If we were winning, and we should be, we'd be top 15. I think it's always between 10 and 15. The talent here gives a hungry coach an edge. The facilities are average, the stadium is nice but the fan support is poor. Win and they will come. A hungry coach could win here, and big. Let me rephrase. ..A good coach could win here.

Advertisement
It will never be a top job because the stadium situation is horrible.....Sun Lyte renovations or not. The OB being torn down still boggles the mind. That cant be rectified, period. It is what it is.

Win and 40000 will show for your average game. Lose, and you know the story.

Yes, the stadium situation sucks. I'm not sure what the answer is as it is highly unlikely that we will ever have our own stadium or even a shared one close to campus. On the bright side a BIG turn around is never too far away with the schools proximity to more ridiculous athletes than anywhere else in the country. I feel if a coach would come in and install a fast paced spread type offense and a hard hitting and aggressive defense the recruits would flock here. In short take advantage of your surroundings and all of the athleticism at your disposal and we would tough to beat. At that point the stadium issue is almost irrelevant as attendance will improve significantly...maybe not sell outs but a big improvement. It really is that easy.

Stadium has nothing to do with Miami's current mediocrity. Just another excuse. Miami is bad for one reason and one reason only: coaching.

As for what actually matters in determining what are the best coaching jobs, Miami is a top 10 school. It is located in the greatest hotbed of football talent. Coaching and talent, that is what wins football games. Miami will always have access to elite talent. Just need a coach that can harness it.

Top 10 coaching gigs don't have revolving doors and UM has always been a Top 5 pre-NFL job.Alot of coaches in the NFL coached in some capacity in Coral Gables. OB was empty in the Big East days so we cant blame the stadium.

Advertisement
Should be a top 5 job. Thabks shalala, you worthless ****ing ****

No it shouldn't. Let's be serious.

How isn't it? Because we dont have a stadium? Thank shalala for not wanting to do anything with the OB and letting it get torn down. Lack of game atmosphere? See the sentence prior. Outdated and small facilities? Thabk shalala for pumping money into a sinking hospital, raising a billion dollars snd doing absolutely nothing in regards to athletics until maybe 2 years ago (and even that might be stretching it). Lack of fertile recruiting grounds? ...I dont even need to say anything on that, matter of fact sofla players alone would make miami a top 15 destination for me if I was a coach who wasnt a complete moron. We've all seen what its like to coach at miami when they're actually backed by the administration, sunshine and beaches and A++ talent galore >>> Podunk bumbledick Alabama or whoever is up top

Top 10 coaching gigs don't have revolving doors and UM has always been a Top 5 pre-NFL job.Alot of coaches in the NFL coached in some capacity in Coral Gables. OB was empty in the Big East days so we cant blame the stadium.

Wrong. Coaches could go from miami to nfl HC in four/five years. Great coaches want to coach in nfl.
Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, Butch

As for the stadium, it was pretty packed in and sold out a lot in 2001 to 2004

It should be a top ten gig easy

Yes, the stadium situation sucks. I'm not sure what the answer is as it is highly unlikely that we will ever have our own stadium or even a shared one close to campus. On the bright side a BIG turn around is never too far away with the schools proximity to more ridiculous athletes than anywhere else in the country. I feel if a coach would come in and install a fast paced spread type offense and a hard hitting and aggressive defense the recruits would flock here. In short take advantage of your surroundings and all of the athleticism at your disposal and we would tough to beat. At that point the stadium issue is almost irrelevant as attendance will improve significantly...maybe not sell outs but a big improvement. It really is that easy.

If Miami (Dolphins and Hurricanes for that matter) had a stadium, where it should logically have one...on the ocean within view of the downtown skyline - this could without question be one of the top 5 coaching gigs in the country. It is that simple. When the networks have to show views of South Beach while the game is going on an hour away in a dead zone tells you everything you need to know. Coaches come and go, but when Miami can't leverage the hometown natural advantages - sun, surf, flash and dash - to reinforce its image, to capture the imagination of its recruits and the national audience - its worse than pathetic.

Only carpetbaggers running the show could possibly be this clueless.

Last edited:

Wrong. Coaches could go from miami to nfl HC in four/five years. Great coaches want to coach in nfl.

I went to games during that period and they weren't all sold out.It never had the amenities/facilities to be a Top 10 gig. South Carolina lost alot of games for a long stretch during that period but still packed 80,000 in their stadium.Those teams were under 5 wins.

Advertisement
An average game day there would be 45K at the OB. The teams you watched were attacking, winning teams and the games were always great fan experiences because the Canes were in it to the end or die trying.

The experience in the Golden error has become why bother. The **** of it is, we all know what's wrong, it refuses to be fixed, and you have to travel to east skaboo to be bummed all over again. When will the fever pass? The patient is dying.

I went to games during that period and they weren't all sold out.It never had the amenities/facilities to be a Top 10 gig. South Carolina lost alot of games for a long stretch during that period but still packed 80,000 in their stadium.Those teams were under 5 wins.

The question is coaching gig not attendance.

Name a program that sent four straight HCs to NFL

Here's attendance numbers btw

2001 6 282,972 46,162
2002 6 417,233 69,539
2003 7 406,945 58,135
2004 6 354,803 59,134

Oh and over past five seasons Oregon has never averaged more than 54000

Last edited:
Going from one of the best know stadiums in the country with an epic history to virtually homeless certainly is a serious problem. But look at how the adminsitration has treated it's hugely successful coaches. Howard got worked over in his quest for an on campus stadium. JJ got abused by Foote, same for Dennis. Three coaches and 5 NCs all treated like dirt. During that time St Bobbie finally manages to win one pity NC and he gets made a god. As a coach, the only reason to come to Miami IS to get to the NFL. Maybe that is why the last three have sucked so badly. All of them were nesters who wanted to stay forever. Since this is not a forever place, we get the bottom of the barrel of those types. Our only hope is a 4 and done social climber looking for NLF gig. They put up with a Foote of ms whale for 4 or 5 years and move on. I am fine with them. They need to win to get that NFL job and that is what we want.

As bad as losing the OB was, and it was a complete disaster, Foote, Donna, and BOT are even worse. Each president brought one of the biggest ncaa scandals in history on us without penalty. Players dance a little and they are deemed thugs with no defense by administration. You can blame lack of fan support if you want but we hold the longest home winning in ncaa and took it from Bama itself. Not bad for crappy fans.

Advertisement
Going from one of the best know stadiums in the country with an epic history to virtually homeless certainly is a serious problem. But look at how the adminsitration has treated it's hugely successful coaches. Howard got worked over in his quest for an on campus stadium. JJ got abused by Foote, same for Dennis. Three coaches and 5 NCs all treated like dirt. During that time St Bobbie finally manages to win one pity NC and he gets made a god. As a coach, the only reason to come to Miami IS to get to the NFL. Maybe that is why the last three have sucked so badly. All of them were nesters who wanted to stay forever. Since this is not a forever place, we get the bottom of the barrel of those types. Our only hope is a 4 and done social climber looking for NLF gig. They put up with a Foote of ms whale for 4 or 5 years and move on. I am fine with them. They need to win to get that NFL job and that is what we want.

As bad as losing the OB was, and it was a complete disaster, Foote, Donna, and BOT are even worse. Each president brought one of the biggest ncaa scandals in history on us without penalty. Players dance a little and they are deemed thugs with no defense by administration. You can blame lack of fan support if you want but we hold the longest home winning in ncaa and took it from Bama itself. Not bad for crappy fans.

Boom goes the dynamite! That right there nailed it.

2001 6 282,972 46,162
2002 6 417,233 69,539
2003 7 406,945 58,135
2004 6 354,803 59,134

Lol at the Oregon comparison.

It's like I say all the time: no such thing as a perfect program.
All programs and, by extension, the universities they represent have their pluses
and minuses.
Perhaps the school closest to perfection on paper is Texas, and they haven't been
killing it in football, baseball or hoops.

2001 6 282,972 46,162
2002 6 417,233 69,539
2003 7 406,945 58,135
2004 6 354,803 59,134

Doesn't Oregon have a stadium that holds around 50k? Strong argument bro....LOL!

Advertisement
Back