Espn ranks Miami as 23rd best coaching job.

You either live in denial, or the past ...

If the job was that attractive, we wouldn't have hired Shannon or Golden.

People think we hired Golden because he was cheap ... But that's not the reason. He was hired because he accepted the limitations of the program.

Dan Mullen told them what needed to be changed to compete, TODAY ... And because of that, he was considered too arrogant for the job.

The recruiting base would matter if there was some rule that made South Florida kids stay home. But there isn't ... And the best programs cherry-pick the kids they want. Bama isn't just getting the kids in their area and coaching them up ... Neither is Ohio State. They're getting the best talent from around the country, including South Florida.

Coaches know the location is talent rich ... But as Muschamp said, Florida had a rough go recruiting against Auburn's facilities. And relationships only matter when your program is on par with the competition ...

But you'll see ... Watch who the next hire is.

And keep telling yourselves it's because the admin is too cheap to pay a coach, even though that's not the issue.

Also ... The fact that you called coming to Miami from Mississippi State, Arizona, UK, Michigan State, Mizzou, and UCLA a "LATERAL move" means our program is really not that special.

And that's my point ... We're not special, don't have exceptional facilities, have an average game-day experience, and haven't won in years! It's what makes getting any decent coach that much tougher.

Comparing what Bama and USC did is ridiculous! Saban was given a blank check, and Pete Carroll reinvented himself. Nobody thought Carroll was some genius before he got to USC.

That's why I'm suggesting guys like Funte, Kiffin, and Schiano will be our candidates. We're not giving anyone a blank check ... So, we're gonna gamble that Fuente is the next young coach to become a star, or that Schiano or Kiffin will be much better running their next college program than they were running their last.

The UM football program, assuming Al Golden to continues to underachieve, will be a reclamation project. One with a great history, location, and recruiting area ... But a program that will require resuscitation. Going with a coach, like Pete Carroll was, who needs to re-invent himself might be our only option.

You sound like a self loathing Miami fan.

The hires of Shannon and Golden have nothing to do with the attractiveness of the Miami job. You make up some nice "facts to support your incorrect theory such as saying Golden was "hired because he accepted the limitations of the program." A complete falsehood on your part.

You missed the point about Miami being talent rich. Even if the best recruits, and I assume you mean the "5 star" guys all are cherry picked from South Florida, there is still more than enough talent for Miami to be elite. That is why the location of Miami is so great. You can build a championship caliber squad with the "3 star" and "4 star" guys from down here.

I never said Miss State, Arizona, UK, etc... were lateral moves. Those programs are not in the same stratosphere as Miami. What I said that just because "big name" coaches wouldn't move laterally to Miami does not mean anything because "big name" coaches rarely move laterally in college football no matter the university.

Again, you missed the point about Alabama and USC. Those were two storied programs, like Miami, that were dormant for about 20 or so years until the right coach was hired. Finally, once the right coach was hired, they started winning again. Here is a hint: every coach prior to Saban was given a blank check and they couldn't succeed. Alabama ALWAYS had top notch facilities but that did not matter at all for Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, or Mike Shula.

Money is the only issue that would make Miami unattractive to a free agent coach. Stadium, facilities, and all that other non-sense means nothing to a good coach that sees all the talent right outside the door. You even contradict yourself by saying that Miami won't give anyone a "blank check" which means money is the issue.

It's always sad to see a Miami fan say Miami isn't special. Miami is probably the most unique and special football program in the country. There is no other program that is like Miami. Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc... are special in their own small ways but all are very much alike. Miami football is different than everyone else and that spirit will always be there, now it is just waiting on the right coach to bring it back to life.

And even if you don't want to believe in what I just wrote, Miami is special because of its proximity to so much talent. That is the real reason Miami will always be a coach away from greatness and what makes it such an attractive head coaching job.

I'm glad that you think money is the only issue that makes Miami unattractive to free agent coaches but your opinion is contradicted by the coaches themselves. The article posted quoted one coach describing Miami as a s--t job and another coach saying the game-day experience is lacking at SLS. These coaches are suggesting there are more problems in Miami than just pay for them to consider it a top job.

Advertisement
I'm glad that you think money is the only issue that makes Miami unattractive to free agent coaches but your opinion is contradicted by the coaches themselves. The article posted quoted one coach describing Miami as a s--t job and another coach saying the game-day experience is lacking at SLS. These coaches are suggesting there are more problems in Miami than just pay for them to consider it a top job.

Yes, I'm sure rival coaches wouldn't take a shot at Miami, especially when it is via an anonymous comment in an ESPN article...

And if those coaches actually meant what they said then (1) they are absolutely dumb and (2) a couple of anecdotes from unnamed coaches means nothing.

Completely agree.

It's not about just writing a big enough check to the HC.

It's about competing in the current landscape on facilities and assistant coach's salaries. The stadium deal is what it is ... So, the game-day experience is what it is. But the school has to get serious about paying coaches and continued investing in facilities.

Without those commitments, no decent coach is gonna listen.

The only thing we really have going for us is the recruiting base and the history. But FIU and FAU have the same recruiting base ... So, really ... It's our history and brand.

But the longer we remain mediocre, the less those things will matter ...

You either live in denial, or the past ...

If the job was that attractive, we wouldn't have hired Shannon or Golden.

People think we hired Golden because he was cheap ... But that's not the reason. He was hired because he accepted the limitations of the program.

Dan Mullen told them what needed to be changed to compete, TODAY ... And because of that, he was considered too arrogant for the job.

The recruiting base would matter if there was some rule that made South Florida kids stay home. But there isn't ... And the best programs cherry-pick the kids they want. Bama isn't just getting the kids in their area and coaching them up ... Neither is Ohio State. They're getting the best talent from around the country, including South Florida.

Coaches know the location is talent rich ... But as Muschamp said, Florida had a rough go recruiting against Auburn's facilities. And relationships only matter when your program is on par with the competition ...

But you'll see ... Watch who the next hire is.

And keep telling yourselves it's because the admin is too cheap to pay a coach, even though that's not the issue.

Also ... The fact that you called coming to Miami from Mississippi State, Arizona, UK, Michigan State, Mizzou, and UCLA a "LATERAL move" means our program is really not that special.

And that's my point ... We're not special, don't have exceptional facilities, have an average game-day experience, and haven't won in years! It's what makes getting any decent coach that much tougher.

Comparing what Bama and USC did is ridiculous! Saban was given a blank check, and Pete Carroll reinvented himself. Nobody thought Carroll was some genius before he got to USC.

That's why I'm suggesting guys like Funte, Kiffin, and Schiano will be our candidates. We're not giving anyone a blank check ... So, we're gonna gamble that Fuente is the next young coach to become a star, or that Schiano or Kiffin will be much better running their next college program than they were running their last.

The UM football program, assuming Al Golden to continues to underachieve, will be a reclamation project. One with a great history, location, and recruiting area ... But a program that will require resuscitation. Going with a coach, like Pete Carroll was, who needs to re-invent himself might be our only option.

You sound like a self loathing Miami fan.

The hires of Shannon and Golden have nothing to do with the attractiveness of the Miami job. You make up some nice "facts to support your incorrect theory such as saying Golden was "hired because he accepted the limitations of the program." A complete falsehood on your part.

You missed the point about Miami being talent rich. Even if the best recruits, and I assume you mean the "5 star" guys all are cherry picked from South Florida, there is still more than enough talent for Miami to be elite. That is why the location of Miami is so great. You can build a championship caliber squad with the "3 star" and "4 star" guys from down here.

I never said Miss State, Arizona, UK, etc... were lateral moves. Those programs are not in the same stratosphere as Miami. What I said that just because "big name" coaches wouldn't move laterally to Miami does not mean anything because "big name" coaches rarely move laterally in college football no matter the university.

Again, you missed the point about Alabama and USC. Those were two storied programs, like Miami, that were dormant for about 20 or so years until the right coach was hired. Finally, once the right coach was hired, they started winning again. Here is a hint: every coach prior to Saban was given a blank check and they couldn't succeed. Alabama ALWAYS had top notch facilities but that did not matter at all for Mike DuBose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, or Mike Shula.

Money is the only issue that would make Miami unattractive to a free agent coach. Stadium, facilities, and all that other non-sense means nothing to a good coach that sees all the talent right outside the door. You even contradict yourself by saying that Miami won't give anyone a "blank check" which means money is the issue.

It's always sad to see a Miami fan say Miami isn't special. Miami is probably the most unique and special football program in the country. There is no other program that is like Miami. Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc... are special in their own small ways but all are very much alike. Miami football is different than everyone else and that spirit will always be there, now it is just waiting on the right coach to bring it back to life.

And even if you don't want to believe in what I just wrote, Miami is special because of its proximity to so much talent. That is the real reason Miami will always be a coach away from greatness and what makes it such an attractive head coaching job.

Advertisement
Back