ESPN Power Ranking blurb on the game...

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
Wins are the most important thing in the CFB season, followed closely by how you win. It matters in the polls, to recruits, to the media, and can have effects on a program’s perception for long after the game.

Example, from ESPN:

ESPN Week 4 Power Rankings

The Hurricanes survived a lackluster two-touchdown win over the Panthers, and coach Mark Richt might have a difficult quarterback decision to make. N'Kosi Perry came off the bench to complete his first 10 passes in place of starter Malik Rosier, following his two scoreless possessions. Perry finished 17-for-25 with 224 yards, three touchdowns and one interception.

Advertisement
Advertisement
That’s my point, the score does matter. Most people won’t watch our game, especially if even ESPN didn’t!

The only time perception matters is when the CFB playoff committee is trying to pick the top 4. That’s likely not something we need to worry about this year. Just win

Advertisement
Advertisement
Oklahoma should have lost to Army lol Okie State loses LSU almost blew a 24 to 0 lead

Va Tech lossed Washington continues to struggle every week. Miss state got blown out by Kentucky

And we’re worried about recruits reading some blog on espn.

Advertisement
you can't care about "power rankings" in week 4... give me a break. Miami wins out they're in. Miami loses another game they're out. It's simple. Don't be a debbie downer today, Canes have a QB

So let me understand, it's not important if you won, but by how much and people writing about games they obviously did not even see. Explanations welcome.

The most important thing is to win.

After that, is how you win. That impacts perception of your program, which plays a big role in rankings and recruiting (in general, recruits want to play for successful, dynamic programs).

The reason for this is to call out that how we play and win can have follow-on effects. 2/3 score victories and a couple losses are much worse than 5 score victories and a couple losses, and we will see an impact in recruiting as a result (which equals wins in the following years).

Advertisement
Back