ESPN - Phil Steele's top 15 WR Corps

Advertisement
Just prove it on the field. They can talk about you all they want in the preseason. It means nada. If they're talking about you after the season that's what matters.

100.jpg

A team that has won more than 7 games once in the last 5 years isnt going to be ranked high on very many lists. Can't understand why some cats don't get that.

Advertisement
In many cases you would be right JB, but it's hard not to throw the talent we have at that position in the top 15. I would say we are probably the deepest talent wise in the country.

In many cases you would be right JB, but it's hard not to throw the talent we have at that position in the top 15. I would say we are probably the deepest talent wise in the country.

I agree that I like our WR unit. But you would be surprised how many teams in the country think the same exact thing.

I don't have Insider so cannot review the list, but I think many here overhype our receiving talent, at least from the perspective of preseason rankings.

Hurns: a solid possession receiver, but I would not consider him a world beater.
Dorsett: has outstanding speed, and did make some big plays last year, along w/ a few glaring drops. he has not shown he should be anywhere near an All American list, at least not yet. Probably, an all-ACC wr.
Lewis: coming off a major injury so you cannot rely on him for preseason predictions
Waters and Scott: both showed some glimpses, but they certainly have not dominated the ACC thus far.
Carter and Jones: have they done anything notable in a game?
Coley: phenomenal potential, but he's a true freshman. basing preseason predictions on a true freshman is ill advised.

Advertisement
Our receivers showed they are plenty capable of sodomizing mediocre ACC defenses.

Now its time to step up and do it against bigtime secondaries.

The biggest matchup against Florida is our WRs against their DBs. Their secondary should be really really good and our WRs need to take that next step if we want to win that game.

I don't have Insider so cannot review the list, but I think many here overhype our receiving talent, at least from the perspective of preseason rankings.

Hurns: a solid possession receiver, but I would not consider him a world beater.
Dorsett: has outstanding speed, and did make some big plays last year, along w/ a few glaring drops. he has not shown he should be anywhere near an All American list, at least not yet. Probably, an all-ACC wr.
Lewis: coming off a major injury so you cannot rely on him for preseason predictions
Waters and Scott: both showed some glimpses, but they certainly have not dominated the ACC thus far.
Coley: phenomenal potential, but he's a true freshman. basing preseason predictions on a true freshman is ill advised.

Hurns - Will be Morris' go to receiver and the leader of the corp.

Dorsett - few drops away from having a major season statistically last year. big time speed burner and can beat any db.

Lewis (true frosh last year) - If he is anything like he showed he was going to be early in the year last year, we have a big time player on our hands.

Waters (true frosh last year) - You can say he didnt dominate the ACC, but he really didnt start getting burn until week 5 or 6. The dude is a football player and he has deceptive speed. Look at his YPC last year.

Scott (just a soph last year) - The breakout star of this corp this year IMO. He has the size, speed, and ability to be the #1 receiver. Had a couple hundred yard receiving games last year and has alot of grit.

Carter and Jones - No, they havent (they were freshmen)

Coley - True freshmen

I would want to run with those guys over Clemsons WR's, FSU's, Bama's, Auburn's, UNC's, NCST, VT, UVA, Ole Miss, Texas.....

in my eyes we are easily top 15

I wouldn't trade our wr's with any other unit in the country. Add our te's griffin and coley, its over. Morris will be having a field day.

Advertisement
Don't know how FSU can have the #2 wr core when they only have 4 guys with game experience and only 3 have really played

Greene, Shaw, Benjamin

and than you have Haulsted and Christrian Green who didn't even play that much. I didn't know 3 players can make up a top core.

Hurns - Will be Morris' go to receiver and the leader of the corp.

Dorsett - few drops away from having a major season statistically last year. big time speed burner and can beat any db.

Lewis (true frosh last year) - If he is anything like he showed he was going to be early in the year last year, we have a big time player on our hands.

Waters (true frosh last year) - You can say he didnt dominate the ACC, but he really didnt start getting burn until week 5 or 6. The dude is a football player and he has deceptive speed. Look at his YPC last year.

Scott (just a soph last year) - The breakout star of this corp this year IMO. He has the size, speed, and ability to be the #1 receiver. Had a couple hundred yard receiving games last year and has alot of grit.

Carter and Jones - No, they havent (they were freshmen)

Coley - True freshmen

I would want to run with those guys over Clemsons WR's, FSU's, Bama's, Auburn's, UNC's, NCST, VT, UVA, Ole Miss, Texas.....

in my eyes we are easily top 15

You left out Warlord and Sandland at TE. Those 2 are going to be big for us IMO.

We have a lot to prove is all that means.

We need to start pounding teams week in and week out then the haters will be like crickets around the country

/bart scott gif

Advertisement
(1)-USC
(2)-FSU
(3)-Bama
(4)-Oklahoma State
(5)-Georgia
(6)-Wash
(7)-Clemson
(8)-Fresno
(9)-Ville
(10)-Texas
(11)-Oklahoma
(12)-BYU
(13)-Vandy
(14)-Marshall
(15)-Maryland

first. let's calm down. it's a preseason list written by a senile hack.

second. I think our fan base, a very passionate one, kind of overrates our WRs.

they are talented. no doubt. but where were they in the big games (kstate, ND, UNC)?

We have great depth and talent but we need that talent to emerge. Remember we still haven't had that one guy step up and be the true #1 guy. We had a bunch of talented #2 guys that beasted against meh teams and were no where to be found against the good ones. I think we will finish the year strong and enter next year as a top 5 unit there but we just aren't there yet going into this season.

Maryland at #15 is laughable. I used to like Steele and his publications but it seems that ESPN gig has him crazy as a motha.

Advertisement
Back