ESPN "College Tour's" Clemson: not pretty OL

The leaning comment apeaks to coaching. WTF is Searles doing if that late into his Freshman year Donaldson still tipping off with his stance.

Lol smh it’s almost impressive how this boards overall logic is so terrible when it comes to these constant attempts at making every negative play / thing an indictment on the coach.

Advertisement
Lol smh it’s almost impressive how this boards overall logic is so terrible when it comes to these constant attempts at making every negative play / thing an indictment on the coach.

Not sure how it's not an indictment on the coach. At some point if the talent is not there you have to find another way, It's really incomprehensible that we struggle to have above average OL play year after year after year.
I will say that no question OL and DL is the hardest spot recruit because the overall quality in HS is so low. Let's hop we can turn a corner this year.

You're blasting him without making a counter argument. As others have pointed out, technique plays somewhat of a bigger role on the OL than other positions on the field. Technique is a direct product of coaching. Think about Wisconsin's lines year after year. Mostly 3 stars & dominating.

Searles has as much to prove as anyone on the staff. OL development & play will be crucial in the years to come. It won't matter how well the rest of the team matches up if Clemson's DL can walk all over the OL.

You're blasting him without making a counter argument. As others have pointed out, technique plays somewhat of a bigger role on the OL than other positions on the field. Technique is a direct product of coaching. Think about Wisconsin's lines year after year. Mostly 3 stars & dominating.

Searles has as much to prove as anyone on the staff. OL development & play will be crucial in the years to come. It won't matter how well the rest of the team matches up if Clemson's DL can walk all over the OL.

I'd upvote this 10 times if I could.

Advertisement
Saw it while at the gym and almost puked on the floor. Pathetic. Only shred of allowance I give them is Clemson's DLine was beastly. Top 5 in the nation hands down.

With that said, Searles has a **** load of talent to work with this season. The '15 guys should eat (specifically St. Louis). The '16 guys are 3 years into the system and should be showing leadership. '17 now 2 years in should be contributing with the '18 guys chipping in. Add in Boulware and hoping for something out of Brown. And the bonus will be the TEs and FBs - that will help a lot.

That's plenty given our favorable schedule this upcoming season. If the OLine is still struggling on 3 and 1s and in goal line situations, then that tells me all I need to know about Searles.

The OLine is not Top 5 yet, but no excuses for not seeing significant improvement this season.

Top 5? ****, we ain’t top 50. Imagine how much different last season would have been if we were the 50th best rushing team rather than the 79th.

A top 50 o-line and we’re in the playoffs. We may not win it all, but there’s just too **** much talent on this squad to be in the bottom 5th rushing the football.

I don’t think top 50 is too much to ask of Searels in year 3.

In order to beat clemson last year we would have needed an O-line like the one Butch Davis the God put together in 01

Lol. Smh its actually impressive how many fools on this board have trouble understanding football and the role of a position coach.

So who is responsible for identifying and correcting improper stance?

The leaning comment apeaks to coaching. WTF is Searles doing if that late into his Freshman year Donaldson still tipping off with his stance.

Yeah that's something good O-lineman learn in HS and use to F-with DL by the time they get to college. It's also something that should get picked up very early in the season, in practice or film.

Advertisement
Top 5? ****, we ain’t top 50. Imagine how much different last season would have been if we were the 50th best rushing team rather than the 79th.

A top 50 o-line and we’re in the playoffs. We may not win it all, but there’s just too **** much talent on this squad to be in the bottom 5th rushing the football.

I don’t think top 50 is too much to ask of Searels in year 3.

Hear! Hear! Can't argue with that one bit.

Lol. Smh its actually impressive how many fools on this board have trouble understanding football and the role of a position coach.

So who is responsible for identifying and correcting improper stance?

Smh lol The 1st thing Christian Wilkins said was that “he was a young guy and young guys tend to lean” so lets put on our thinking caps everyone on CIS...

is it more logical to conclude that youth and inexperience is the primary reason Donaldson wasn’t a perfectly refined olineman by the time he went up against a 1st round pick at DT?? Or is it simply coaching bc freshman don’t make mistakes if they have a good coach??

🤔

I subscribe to the idea that the biggest judge of a coach is how much production can you squeeze out of talent. There are coaches that squeeze more than others, Bud Foster, Scott Frost, Peterson at TCU, Wisconsin OL coaches.

I’m not ready to fire Searles but thus far I haven’t seen him squeeze anything extra from our OL the past 2 years.

He has recruited the position pretty well the past couple years so I’m willing to give him he benefit of the doubt with “his guys” but from a production standpoint, I’d say OL has been the most underperforming position since Richt joined Miami, based on the talent on hand.

Advertisement
The problem we have is that our seniors never stay. We could have had a top 5 dline if both mcintosh and norton would have stayed. Not Clemson caliber.....but pretty close

Donaldson does not look anything near ready to play tackle.. off balance, leaning to far forward.. RT tackle will be critical.. but young kids (18/19) playing against 21 year old juniors/seniors rarely has good outcomes as least in the trenches...

Advertisement
Patience! It’s only year 3 of the Richt regime, and though the team is stocked with talent across the board, with his guys, we can’t compete for a title until 2023. Brick by brick!

Searels is the weakest link on this staff. He is the only coach you guys make all the excuses for. He absolutely sucks. He will be the downfall of Richts tenure if he doesnt get his shid together.

His techniques and personnel groupings are just bad.

A full season and a **** 4 game losing streak before you realize you need to take Linder out of the **** lineup?

Fuq that guy if he doesnt get it right this year and fuq Richt if he doesn't fire him

We're moving a guy who got clowned by Clemson when he was playing guard to starting RT. What could possibly go wrong?

You can have all the playmakers in the world, but if the opponent's stud DL is in your backfield all day because your OL is Swiss cheese, you have no chance. Clemson's DL will be older and better this year. Our oline seems to be falling further behind.

Advertisement
Back