ESPN "College Tour's" Clemson: not pretty OL

Silver King

Pass Block
I missed his segment on Miami, but I hope the OL was up early today and caught the lowlight film from Trevor Matich’s visit with Clemson’s D-Line - it should be a great source of motivation. They made about 95% of it. And, he does Wisconsin next week.

He did say some great things about the Cane's Linebackers.

Advertisement
They called the linebackers great but it was very general. He includes McCloud.

I missed his segment on Miami, but I hope the OL was up early today and caught the lowlight film from Trevor Matich’s visit with Clemson’s D-Line - it should be a great source of motivation. They made about 95% of it. And, he does Wisconsin next week.

are you referring to this older video about Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I just watched that garbage. At the end they showed the odds to make the playoff and Miami and FSU have the same odds. How the ****?

Saw it while at the gym and almost puked on the floor. Pathetic. Only shred of allowance I give them is Clemson's DLine was beastly. Top 5 in the nation hands down.

With that said, Searles has a **** load of talent to work with this season. The '15 guys should eat (specifically St. Louis). The '16 guys are 3 years into the system and should be showing leadership. '17 now 2 years in should be contributing with the '18 guys chipping in. Add in Boulware and hoping for something out of Brown. And the bonus will be the TEs and FBs - that will help a lot.

That's plenty given our favorable schedule this upcoming season. If the OLine is still struggling on 3 and 1s and in goal line situations, then that tells me all I need to know about Searles.

The OLine is not Top 5 yet, but no excuses for not seeing significant improvement this season.

Saw it while at the gym and almost puked on the floor. Pathetic. Only shred of allowance I give them is Clemson's DLine was beastly. Top 5 in the nation hands down.

With that said, Searles has a **** load of talent to work with this season. The '15 guys should eat (specifically St. Louis). The '16 guys are 3 years into the system and should be showing leadership. '17 now 2 years in should be contributing with the '18 guys chipping in. Add in Boulware and hoping for something out of Brown. And the bonus will be the TEs and FBs - that will help a lot.

That's plenty given our favorable schedule this upcoming season. If the OLine is still struggling on 3 and 1s and in goal line situations, then that tells me all I need to know about Searles.

The OLine is not Top 5 yet, but no excuses for not seeing significant improvement this season.

Agree. Except for "he has a load if talent to work with". We got some good talent and some crap but only really have one top level talent in Donaldson. However, we have enough guys with enough physical tools to get good production out of that unit.

At some point its on Searles to get the Oline to perform.

IMO, OLine is the position where good coaching can overcome a talent defecit the most. You can still have a very good Oline even if your starting five has mediocre athletic talent, as long as they play hard, have great technique, leverage, awareness and execution as a unit.

The scary part is that I dont hear enough(and maybe I missed it) urgency from Richt about having the OLine step up this year.

To me its the #1 factor in our success this year even above QB. If the OL can actually move people off the ball this year in short yardage and pass protect well its the difference between just having a good season or being a real playoff contender.

Last edited:
The talent is in place imo

Tackle: St. Louis, Donaldson, Brown, Hillery, Herbert, Campbell

Guard: Jones, Mahoney, Boulware, Scaife, Reed, Dykstra

Center: Gauthier, Gaynor, Milo

Advertisement
Donaldson making rookie mistakes. He's not going to let that happen again. Darling, smh...

The talent is in place imo

Tackle: St. Louis, Donaldson, Brown, Hillery, Herbert, Campbell

Guard: Jones, Mahoney, Boulware, Scaife, Reed, Dykstra

Center: Gauthier, Gaynor, Milo
These guys have to get bigger, faster and stronger!! Stronger and faster is the key piece, we need these guys operating at a very high level IF they want to be able to go up against a level of Clemson's DLine and dominate.. Searles has to coach this group up, Miami has talent in place IT'S TIME for Searles to do his part and that's have this group ready to compete against any DL!!

That's why we gotta keep the Nesta's home every year. This is how our dline should look in 2 years

Advertisement
That's the difference between having a seniority on the lines. We're still a long ways away.

If you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best. I'm glad our team sees how far they have to go from winning the conference.

Agree. Except for "he has a load if talent to work with". We got some good talent and some crap but only really have one top level talent in Donaldson. However, we have enough guys with enough physical tools to get good production out of that unit.

At some point its on Searles to get the Oline to perform.

IMO, OLine is the position where good coaching can overcome a talent defecit the most. You can still have a very good Oline even if your starting five has mediocre athletic talent, as long as they play hard, have great technique, leverage, awareness and execution as a unit.

The scary part is that I dont hear enough(and maybe I missed it) urgency from Richt about having the OLine step up this year.

To me its the #1 factor in our success this year even above QB. If the OL can actually move people off the ball this year in short yardage and pass protect well its the difference between just having a good season or being a real playoff contender.

I think we are saying the same thing. My comment about the talent level of the group stems from the fact that we don't need 5* guys littered across the OLine to beat the teams on our schedule. That's an excuse. Searles has more than enough to work with to kick some serious *** this season.

To your point, if he can coach and develop talent then this is the season we should see significant improvement with the line play. If not, then it's not for a lack of talent necessary to be highly competitive. It's squarely on him.

They were flat out awful!!!!!

Advertisement
Back