ESPN: Best NFL Prosepect on each TOp 25 Team

wherrera8

Senior
Banned
Spoiler Alert: ESPN has ignored us for so long they are clueless about who our top prospects are.

They chose Norton.

While I do agree he will be a big prospect, I would not consider him our TOP prospect. Yes, they did include Freshman. They chose Dexter Lawrence for Clemson, so this wasn't limited to upperclassmen. I was expecting any one of these guys:

Ahmmon
Joe Jackson
RJ Mcintosh
Shaq
Chad
and maybe even Vaughn as a darkhorse with how much of a premium big OL like him are at.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Richards and Jackson may end up as bigger prospects but Norton is a fine pick.

It also could have something to do with how much they value various positions, where they predict they will get drafted etc.

Not disagreeing with Wherrera whatsoever - but it is a pretty subjective opinion by ESPN's writer.

Advertisement

You would take him over RJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, it's hard to find a 1-tech that can move like that. Ahmmon and joe will probably be higher because they'll be bona fide top 15 picks but if Norton plays like he played last year, he'll easily be in the late 1st- early 2nd round conversation

You would take him over RJ?

They are pretty close. Let's see how they do as juniors. Also, they play different roles, different body types, etc. so it's hard to compare.

I see your point there. I know in your write up yesterday you seemed highest in RJ so I thought he was already off to a better junior campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Advertisement
Vomiting after reading the description they put for Derwin James

2. Florida State

DB Derwin James: No doubt it's James, who could be the best prospect in the entire 2018 draft class. He is already hailed as a safety in the same class as Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor. It wouldn't be a surprise to see James go in the top five, rare air for a safety. He just needs to remain healthy after missing most of 2016. -- Jared Shanker

2. Florida State

DB Derwin James: No doubt it's James, who could be the best prospect in the entire 2018 draft class. He is already hailed as a safety in the same class as Ed Reed and the late Sean Taylor. It wouldn't be a surprise to see James go in the top five, rare air for a safety. He just needs to remain healthy after missing most of 2016. -- Jared Shanker

I got in an argument with a FSU fan about that comparison! Like how you're going to compare him to either one of them with only 1 pick for his whole college career. Dude is getting that Jabril peppers hype smh

He only has 1 College int for his entire career. I know he was hurt and ish, but still tho.

Advertisement

2. Florida State

I got in an argument with a FSU fan about that comparison! Like how you're going to compare him to either one of them with only 1 pick for his whole college career. Dude is getting that Jabril peppers hype smh

He only has 1 College int for his entire career. I know he was hurt and ish, but still tho.

He's no doubt a dynamic player and a stud. But he's at his best moving forward, not playing in space and covering ground.

If we need to compare him to a Cane safety, I'd compare him more to a flashy Kenny Phillips (still a great complement)

Norton is a a great prospect. I'd easily place him in our top 3. His size/explosiveness combination is rare.

Though, there's something very special about Richards. IDK if anyone has said this yet, but I feel like I'm watching Jerry Rice when he's out there. Maybe I'm just seeing things in orange & green colored glasses, but everything he does is effortless. He looks like a ballerina out there. He's my #1 prospect for sure.

Advertisement
Ahmmon "the YG" Richards, Joe Jackson & Shaq Quarterman are future 1st round picks.

RJ McIntosh, Kendrick Norton, Chad Thomas, Michael Pinckney & Zach McCloud are 2nd-3rd picks (Kendrick & RJ are arguably 1st rounders).

Dee Delaney & Chris Herndon are 3rd-5th rounders IMO. Mark Walton imo will get drafted, Idk what round, but he has NFL caliber talent to me.

I think Navaughn Donaldson is a future 1st-2nd round at Guard or eventually RT.

Then guys like Malek Young, Amari Carter, Jeff Thomas, DJ Johnson, Jonathan Garvin, Pat Bethel, Jovani Haskins & Corey Gaynor have enough talent to get drafted if they continue to develop & maximize their full potential.

And from a physical standpoint, I think Zalontae Hillery & Jon Ford have potential NFL frames, but are extremely raw & unless they have meteoric development during their time here, we'll see. (Not saying they're NFL players as Frosh, I'm saying physically they have the upside).

Last edited:
We have to remember the term "best NFL prospect" doesn't mean the best player on the team. It's more of a combination of how a player's game translates to the pro game and his position value. A 1 technique DT that can get into the backfield and command double teams while holding his ground is more valuable to the NFL than most other positions besides maybe quarterback. McIntosh makes more plays but he's still a bit lean for an NFL DT and would have to go to the right type of system to maximize his talents.

Richards has shown the game breaking ability, if he can refine his game to be a bit more consistent, he could eventually be the best NFL prospect on the roster.

Advertisement
Back