Ereck Flowers

I think a better metric of successful talent develop is total players drafted. We all love to see Miami putting guys in the first round. No arguments there.

But I want to see depth represented in the draft class. Year over year of 7 to 10 players selected.

Agree 100% Though this stat from 247 is interesting.

6 colleges have yielded 20+ draft picks in the last four years.

Alabama leads the nation with 30 players drafted over the last four years.

Overall, six programs have yielded 20+ draft picks in the last four years.

Alabama: 5 (2011), 8 (2012), 9 (2013), 8 (2014) = 30 total

LSU: 6, 5, 9, 9 = 29 total

FSU: 3, 4, 11, 7 = 25 total

Georgia: 6, 7, 8, 2 = 23 total

Oklahoma: 4, 7, 6, 4 = 21 total

UNC: 9, 2, 5, 5 = 21 total

Wisconsin: 5, 6, 3, 5 = 19 total

Miami: 8, 6, 2, 3 = 19 total

USC: 9, 3, 4, 3 = 19 total

Notre Dame: 1, 4, 6, 8 = 19 total

Ohio State: 5, 4, 3, 6 = 18 total

Florida: 4, 2, 8, 4 = 18 total

Clemson: 6, 4, 3, 5 = 18 total

We still have had more draft picks than most colleges deemed "better than Miami" We still have more players picked in the last four years than UF. That number tells me there has been talent on these teams.

Interesting. Solid work.

yet bama players have struggled in the NFL if not down right sucked...

Advertisement
Like most Cali QBs do in the league, the Bama players are so coached up in that system they run there upside is slimmer than an average player

I think a better metric of successful talent develop is total players drafted. We all love to see Miami putting guys in the first round. No arguments there.

But I want to see depth represented in the draft class. Year over year of 7 to 10 players selected.

Agree 100% Though this stat from 247 is interesting.

6 colleges have yielded 20+ draft picks in the last four years.

Alabama leads the nation with 30 players drafted over the last four years.

Overall, six programs have yielded 20+ draft picks in the last four years.

Alabama: 5 (2011), 8 (2012), 9 (2013), 8 (2014) = 30 total

LSU: 6, 5, 9, 9 = 29 total

FSU: 3, 4, 11, 7 = 25 total

Georgia: 6, 7, 8, 2 = 23 total

Oklahoma: 4, 7, 6, 4 = 21 total

UNC: 9, 2, 5, 5 = 21 total

Wisconsin: 5, 6, 3, 5 = 19 total

Miami: 8, 6, 2, 3 = 19 total

USC: 9, 3, 4, 3 = 19 total

Notre Dame: 1, 4, 6, 8 = 19 total

Ohio State: 5, 4, 3, 6 = 18 total

Florida: 4, 2, 8, 4 = 18 total

Clemson: 6, 4, 3, 5 = 18 total

We still have had more draft picks than most colleges deemed "better than Miami" We still have more players picked in the last four years than UF. That number tells me there has been talent on these teams.

Our 5 over the last 2 years puts us well below every other team on the list though, and that includes a 5th year transfer punter. If you take draft position into account I think you'll have a different story as well. Also, that 2011 group of 8 included 4 recruited by Coker. This list shows me how talent fell off in Shannon's last couple recruiting classes and led to teams with little talent among the upperclassmen, especially by Miami standards. I think we'll see this turning around next year and we'll either be back where we all expect to be as a team or Golden will be our Zook and a new coach will start in 2016 with a well stocked roster.

flowers isnt a 1st round pick at least yet. right now he is looking at 2nd-3rd round as i think he is ranked as the 10th best tackle. flowers has to play at a completely another level to go 1st round. i seen games where he was good but none where he dominated.

as far as tracy yall are overating him he isnt a 1st round pick. look at the 1st round cbs this year and tracy isnt on the same level as gilbert and dennard.

duke is looking at top half of the 2nd round. coley will be a 1st rounder and bush, burns, and carter has 1st round tools.

I think alotta the posters on here are youngsters, and havent never really seen "Miami" 1st round talent......Tracey is great, but to be 1st round talent hes gonna have to play at another level or 2

Advertisement
I think alotta the posters on here are youngsters, and havent never really seen "Miami" 1st round talent......Tracey is great, but to be 1st round talent hes gonna have to play at another level or 2

This or that we have been so starved for talent, we forgot what it looks like or see things that are not quite there.

Flowers, right now is not a 1st rounder. Needs to player more consistent. He is an upperclassmen now.. Time to show out

Wonder how much they will go head to head, I am sure they will try to let that kid eat on the right side and test whoever we put there first. AT the moment that would be Gadbois

I don't think Tracy is a top 2 round talent. As it sits now I think flowers is a guy that would go late 2nd but a great year would change some things.

Advertisement

I don't think Tracy is a top 2 round talent. As it sits now I think flowers is a guy that would go late 2nd but a great year would change some things.

3rd Rder at best unless he REALLY explodes next yr

I think you are right. He may be one of those -- run to the NFL early guys, who goes later than he thinks he will.

I really think we do have an underlying problem where we really sunk to such an unfamiliar level of bad, that when we see quality we overrate it.

Nature of the beast I guess. ****!

I think you are right. He may be one of those -- run to the NFL early guys, who goes later than he thinks he will.

I really think we do have an underlying problem where we really sunk to such an unfamiliar level of bad, that when we see quality we overrate it.

Good point.

Advertisement

Absolutely this

If Gregory moves to the opposite side to line up across from Gadbois, then we need to be chipping him with a TE or RB on every passing play. Don't f*** around with an edge rusher of his caliber.

However, teams had success running right at Gregory last year. Flowers should absolutely be able to generate some push in the run game against him.

If Flowers keeps Gregory in check in pass protection, then we could definitely see some buzz start to build about his potential to be an early-round selection. It's going to be another loaded OT class, though, with guys like Ogbuehi, Peat, Collins, Erving, and Scherff looking like potential first rounders. Flowers will need to improve his consistency and definitively win the head-to-head battle against Gregory to enter that conversation.

Advertisement
As a true sophomore Flowers faced each of these guys this past year:

Martin, Kareem----North Carolina
Lynch, Aaron----USF
Attaochu, Jeremiah--GT
Smith, Marcus--Louisville
Powell, Ronald---Florida
Johnson, Randell---Fau

All were drafted but and had a grand total of ZERO sacks against the true sophomore. Golden states that he is now 322 last year 315, doing 36 reps now. So he is bigger and stronger already and we just finished spring.

Advertisement
Back