Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

Advertisement
#1CF - does it matter if they are a success in the NFL?

We are talking college football. There are so many examples of good winning, successful QBs that didn’t amount to much of anything in the NFL (let’s just use our program QBs as examples - Torreta, Kenny Dorsey), Tebow at UiF, the Nebraska QBs, most of the Ohio State QBs, etc.

Let’s just worry about getting wins here at this program. The higher ranked, the higher rate of success at this level. Of this 3 star happens to rise to the top, so be it.
That's fair enough. The only reason to bring the NFL into the picture is because the 5-star prospect is the one designated to be a future 1st round NFL QB. That's why there's a max of 32 5-stars to correspond to the 32 NFL 1st round draft positions.

So, the point was to show that not all 5-stars make it. Typically, draft position is relative to the college career development. If a 5-star player doesn't get drafted, they likely were not successful in college.

Regardless of star rating, players need to develop and they do so at different rates which is why some 3 and 4 star players turn into superstars.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yeah I don't think he's a bad prospect, I'm just concerned with the lack of high school production. Maybe it's just my notion of thought, and measurables are a great tool, etc etc...but I really value what you do on the field when it matters. So far, he's performed up to his rank - a mid three star. He's got plenty of time to turn that around, and he's got a pretty **** good WR to do some damage with.
Maybe he's he's just now developing and catching up to his peers. A lot of CIS think that once you get your star rating then that's what you are and all you will ever be.

All of the recruits have an entire year to improve before suiting up for their first college game.

With Williams earning his spot at the Elite 11 finals, it's obvious he's improved from whenever the recruiting services first evaluated him. Whoever he was last year is not who he is now. It will be interesting to watch his development over the next few years.

We've never had a staff of this quality, including a much larger number of analysts. It's June. Whining about 3 stars is silly. Every 3 star we have committed is a high quality recruit. We are also on a ton of 4-5 stars, almost all of which are not committed to any school. It's not like we lost out on them.
We haven't had this quality of a staff for 19+ yrs....but we've had better staffs in the past.

Advertisement
We've had staffs that maybe grew and developed into a better staff, but never one that was assembled already at such a high level.
Nah.....JJ's and Butch's (98-2000) staffs were already well versed and had incredible resumes from jump....

The fact that he's there puts him in the top 20 of QBs. This kid flew under the radar and is now emerging. I see his 3-star as the floor.

I really don't care what he gets rated as long as he goes out and proves he belongs with the top QB prospects.
I mean I don't really care about this argument, but 3 star kind of has to be his floor right? Like, they're not gonna see kid commit to Miami and go to the Elite 11 nonsense and then lower him to a 2 star...even though they maybe should have done with Dewey.

The fact that he's there puts him in the top 20 of QBs. This kid flew under the radar and is now emerging. I see his 3-star as the floor.

I really don't care what he gets rated as long as he goes out and proves he belongs with the top QB prospects.
His initial ranking was only last month after Miami and Pitt showed interest. It's as if the 247-brain trust did a collective "OOPs". The 8.5 is just a safe placeholder until they can observe him. Who knows where he will end up? Now that he's got everyone's attention, it's up to him to do well at the elite 11 and his senior season to determine his finally ranking.

Of course, all of this is non sequitur if the staff performed their own evaluation and are happy (which appears to be the case). It's only important for those interested in the mythical national recruiting championship.

It's coming across as very gator-esque.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe he's he's just now developing and catching up to his peers. A lot of CIS think that once you get your star rating then that's what you are and all you will ever be.

All of the recruits have an entire year to improve before suiting up for their first college game.

With Williams earning his spot at the Elite 11 finals, it's obvious he's improved from whenever the recruiting services first evaluated him. Whoever he was last year is not who he is now. It will be interesting to watch his development over the next few years.
This makes sense.

And I stand by my original evaluation of the kid from a month ago, and that mariciante independently agreed with me, gives me even more comfort in the veracity of what I am seeing.

The same as what I thought about TVD when I first saw him play against Choate as a HS junior, and when i watched his development thereafter. And sticking with what i believed even after everyone said Garcia was going to walk away with the starting job.

Watching others have to eat a crow sandwich with a topping of sh*t is sometimes the best part of the day.

This makes sense.

And I stand by my original evaluation of the kid from a month ago, and that mariciante independently agreed with me, gives me even more comfort in the veracity of what I am seeing.

The same as what I thought about TVD when I first saw him play against Choate as a HS junior, and when i watched his development thereafter. And sticking with what i believed even after everyone said Garcia was going to walk away with the starting job.

Watching others have to eat a crow sandwich with a topping of sh*t is sometimes the best part of the day.

Yes, because all offers are not equal. If Bama or Georgia offers a kid, he gets a bump if other areas are considered. These rating services are all in business.

Maybe Rashada commits because Ruiz makes an offer he cannot refuse. Maybe Williams bounces with or without Rashada in play. Maybe Williams has a big camp and terrific senior year. Maybe he gets big time offers not just Miami and Ole Miss. Or maybe he is done.

It's June. Still a lot of unknowns. Nothing is absolute other than these recruiting services are businesses.

We can agree to disagree.

wondering when the last time a guy whom everyone thought was crap got invited to the Elite 11.

if i recall, i believe the answer is "never"

Advertisement
I know I am a crowd pleaser when it comes to off topic convos . . . :)

I didn't read all 75 pages of this, but Ive read the first and last few pages. It has the feel of everyone digging in with their point of view, or POV for the **** lovers amongst us! Will this kid be a 3 star or 4 star after his senior year? I think some kids need to be that 3 star coming out of HS . . . a little edge or chip on their shoulder. Other kids may not need that chip. I really hope that at the end of the day we've got a kid committed who has the floor of an All ACC type of qb.

We've said this with every coach. It never works.
Imagine being such a 5head gronk, smearing the walls of your cave hut with your own ****, that you think Mario Cristobal and Alonzo Highsmith are the same as Manny Diaz with no high-level oversight or evaluation help. Jesus ******* Christ go watch Fortnite, seems way more your speed than football. Same morons who *****ed and moaned about us being unable to get Zo here under Manny because of ‘how he would save the program’ are the same ones now criticising THE EXACT ******* GUY. Newsflash people; Zo has a hand in every single offer, that’s his job. If you really think that we are taking these 3 stars because we have already missed on our bigger targets then you are just absolutely clueless. If Alonzo Highsmith says he wants a kid, I don’t give a singular **** if he’s rated lower than a Kohl’s Kicker, he wants him for a reason. I promise you, that reason isn’t ‘well we missed on the top 100 other players at this position’. Get the **** out of here with that bull****, this isn’t amateur hour anymore, stop moping around and wake the **** up or get the **** out. I am seriously tired of reading this contradictory, baseless garbage and seeing people try to, daily, compare this staff and this front office with MANNY ‘all the used car exhaust smoke’ DIAZ or ‘BE A CHEESEBURGER’!

Imagine being such a 5head gronk, smearing the walls of your cave hut with your own ****, that you think Mario Cristobal and Alonzo Highsmith are the same as Manny Diaz with no high-level oversight or evaluation help. Jesus ******* Christ go watch Fortnite, seems way more your speed than football. Same morons who *****ed and moaned about us being unable to get Zo here under Manny because of ‘how he would save the program’ are the same ones now criticising THE EXACT ******* GUY. Newsflash people; Zo has a hand in every single offer, that’s his job. If you really think that we are taking these 3 stars because we have already missed on our bigger targets then you are just absolutely clueless. If Alonzo Highsmith says he wants a kid, I don’t give a singular **** if he’s rated lower than a Kohl’s Kicker, he wants him for a reason. I promise you, that reason isn’t ‘well we missed on the top 100 other players at this position’. Get the **** out of here with that bull****, this isn’t amateur hour anymore, stop moping around and wake the **** up or get the **** out. I am seriously tired of reading this contradictory, baseless garbage and seeing people try to, daily, compare this staff and this front office with MANNY ‘all the used car exhaust smoke’ DIAZ or ‘BE A CHEESEBURGER’!
Can I Just Say Conor Mckenna GIF by FoilArmsandHog

When’s the next podcast?

Advertisement
Back