Official Emory Williams - 2023 QB COMMIT

This is a good point and a legit issue. Mario signed three quarterbacks at Oregon. Their current staff has so little confidence in any of them that they brought in a mediocre transfer QB to be their #1 guy. After bringing in a mediocre transfer QB to be their #1 guy last year. Why can’t any of the recruits they signed get on the field?
It could be that the qb's they inherited don't fit dillinghams offense? You gotta look at it from all angles!

Advertisement
I just wanna make sure I have this right. We have the OC of the year we have Ponce we have Mario -we have a staff full of analysts now that we’ve never had before and I’m supposed to listen to board experts right out of the bat before this new staff has proven that they are gonna blow things? I’m not saying the coaching staff is infallible but forgive me if I give this staff in particular the benefit of the doubt
Remember this is the same group of CIS experts who said Lingard was a can't miss once in a lifetime prospect. 🤷‍♂️

Yu didn't have to drop da mic on me! Yu 100% cuz mario brought in da bc quarterback!!
You’re right. It wasn’t just the new coaches. They brought in a very average transfer QB to start in 2021 because they didn’t trust the guys they recruited.

Still, it was a different OC and a different QB coach than what we have now so maybe Mario will have better luck with QBs here. (although our OC coached under Joe Moorehead at Penn State)

Advertisement
You’re right. It wasn’t just the new coaches. They brought in a very average transfer QB to start in 2021 because they didn’t trust the guys they recruited.

Still, it was a different OC and a different QB coach than what we have now so maybe Mario will have better luck with QBs here. (although our OC coached under Joe Moorehead at Penn State)
Hopefully mario/gattis/ponce gets judged on how they handle tvd/garcia/brown! Cuz we got good qb's for hopefully the next 3/4 years. Maybe mario can change the narrative with his qb recruiting with who ever we get this year?

Yes, off of his HUDL highlight. Hard to really do a breakdown of a player with a highlight video, but he sends me checks so maybe I should keep quiet. Ha

Thanks for your notes, Lance.

I watched a highlight tape. Which is why i qualified my remarks. You clearly saw more film than i did, but i see a lot to like here. I will stick to my eval on what i saw, but happy to adjust as more data comes available.

Couple notes in response to you:

The ball handling i saw was much better than you observed, but i was focusing more on core movements

Also, i saw clips where his reset from off platform and/or guys in his face was pretty sharp.

I also saw a bunch of throws where his exit velocity looked better than you are alluding to.

And yes, the ball just leaves his hand so gracefully

On dropping his elbow, not as concerned. I think i made the observation in another post about TVD that it’s a habit not uncommon with younger qb’s particularly those that have played baseball in the infield. Correctable, and I’ve worked with a couple guys on that mechanics, so it doesn’t bother me so much

Agree with you on deep ball trajectory, and again, correctable so not concerned.

On the underthrows, my general observation is that I’m seeing that on tape a lot more with kids. I think it’s become a more accepted coaching point. In the old days, we were coached to better overthrow than underthrow. Now, the theory is that creating the contented catch is better than an overthrow.

Overall, I’m pretty solid on the kid because he fits a pattern I’ve seen before for guys who break to the upside.

Which games did you watch and i will try to hunt them down?

I remember the days when almost all of this board said TVD didn't deserve an offer. Fun times.

People pointed to his stats, lack of athleticism in his film, and playing super inferior talent. There were a few that like him, but not many.

Same crowd who **** on berrios when he came out of NC.

One thing I know for sure, if he's not 4/5 stars, the majority of this board will complain. ****, most of this board complained when we were a perennial 6 win team and we weren't pulling in 5 stars with Al Golden.

I'll trust the staff. I prefer some big name like rashada and I'm sure the staff does as well, but it looks like they've gotten comfortable with a QB in case others fall through. You always take a QB in today's age
😂
TVD was a composite 4 star, low four star but still a four star and we got him the year we lost to FIU. Expectations were low. Now was everyone on board? No but let’s not make it out like there was a meltdown.

Damm i need to peep the boards more this a lit convo! personally i love Emory & if we do not get Rashada expect him to be the QB in the class. Excellent find from Coach Ponce I would grade him as a solid 4 star if it was up to me. The arm, Accuracy, Pocket mobility, Size and release tells me he can compete here

Lol.

Feel free to jump in any time!

Always happy to chat qb’s

👍🏻😊

Advertisement
Josh Gattis is a WR coach by trade, the OC of the year thing doesn't make him an expert in Qb development or recruiting

follow the offers

Fellow QB’s Tate Martell and Kyle Wright and Mitch Mustain and Rhett Bomar and Blake Barnett and Ben Olson and Ryan Perriloux and Kirby Freeman all endorse this post
:ibis-roflmao-sm3:

Last edited:
I'm in favor of being skeptical of any viewpoint (including mine) and giving the benefit of the doubt to the coaching staff. They surely know more than I do about this stuff.

It's just that someone asked my opinion and I decided to give it. I've made the mistake of pumping sunshine on a prospect that I didn't really like once previously (Tommy Kennedy). Since that time, I vowed not to spread kool-aid and give my honest opinion.

There will be times I'm wrong. Every talent evaluator is at times.

This. +100

And if I didn’t want to have @Lance Roffers learned and unbiased opinion I wouldn’t have asked for it. I would have asked lance to blow smoke up my *** and tell me how wonderful i am.

Fact is, evals are a process, not a static event. Views change. Get augmented. Corrected. And genuine disagreements arise among people who are knowledgeable, and seeing the same data, but vehemently disagree on the meaning or import.

And it is not an exact science, even at the highest levels where the time and resources are almost limitless.

Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t played, evaluated, and coached. And they certainly haven’t had the luxury of being woefully wrong about something they thought was correct.

Advertisement
All I know between this thread and the threads on the wr from Pitt theres been a whole lot of white paper to read and I aint got no time for that chit.
john oliver paper GIF by Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

I remember the days when almost all of this board said TVD didn't deserve an offer. Fun times.

People pointed to his stats, lack of athleticism in his film, and playing super inferior talent. There were a few that like him, but not many.

Same crowd who **** on berrios when he came out of NC.

One thing I know for sure, if he's not 4/5 stars, the majority of this board will complain. ****, most of this board complained when we were a perennial 6 win team and we weren't pulling in 5 stars with Al Golden.

I'll trust the staff. I prefer some big name like rashada and I'm sure the staff does as well, but it looks like they've gotten comfortable with a QB in case others fall through. You always take a QB in today's age
You must have a better memory than me because I don't remember people hating the TVD offer. He was a consensus 4 star prospect and the #7 pro style QB recruit in the nation. Getting anyone of that caliber to sign up during the 2019 **** show of an offensive season was a miracle.

Advertisement
😂
TVD was a composite 4 star, low four star but still a four star and we got him the year we lost to FIU. Expectations were low. Now was everyone on board? No but let’s not make it out like there was a meltdown.
It was shortly after ****kowski, and yes, meltdowns. Everyone thought he was the second coming of artur lmao

You must have a better memory than me because I don't remember people hating the TVD offer. He was a consensus 4 star prospect and the #7 pro style QB recruit in the nation. Getting anyone of that caliber to sign up during the 2019 **** show of an offensive season was a miracle.
There were tons of people hating on him, talking about talent in Connecticut prep league or something. It was around the time of ****kowski and people may have been a little hesitant.

Please don't make me go dig up old threads.

shortly after *****? ***** was 2018 and and TVD was 2020. What are you talking about?
TVD committed in EARLY 2019 right after Artur had completed his freshman year at Rutgers and was complete ****.

Artur was very relevant as we were recruiting TVD. People pointed to CT HS football, not being athletic, etc. ****, we had people still ****ting on TVD last year before he started. Claiming Garcia was more athletic until the coaches came out and said Garcia has you fooled if you think that's the truth.

This board has had some big missed when it comes to evaluations. Quite frankly, it's difficult to evaluate QBs.

Advertisement
Back