Emoni Bates PORTAL

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Throw the kitchen sink at Emoni, idgaf that he had a down year at Memphis he played injured mostly and is a generational talent. This is the type of addition that could win us the ACC next year
He's not a generational talent. Generational talents don't look utterly overmatched like he did this year. He has a poor feel for the game, isn't really a great shooter and once people started jumping his left, looked to be unable to drive. He's athletic as all ****, but you need more than that to be a generational talent in this game.

Would I take him if Wong doesn't come back? Sure, but he isn't some surefire All-ACC guy. Frankly, he gave Memphis similar minutes to Bensley Joseph and he wasn't nearly as efficient on the defensive end like Joseph was.

Last edited:
He's not a generational talent. Generational talents don't look utterly overmatched like he did this year. He has a poor feel for the game, isn't really a great shooter and once people started jumping his left, looked to be unable to drive. He's athletic as all ****, but you need more than that to be a generational talent in this game.

Would I take him if Wong doesn't come back? Sure, but he isn't some surefire All-ACC guy. Frankly, he gave Memphis similar minutes to Bensley Joseph and he wasn't nearly as efficient on the defensive end like Joseph was.

"Best High School Prospect Since LeBron!?" "Emoni Bates became the first player ever to win Gatorade Player of The Year as a sophomore." That is the literal definition of generational lol

Also you can be a generational talent without being a generational player, talent doesn't always translate to on court success. But if there's a generational talent you have the opportunity to snatch up and develop you take it in a heartbeat imo

"Best High School Prospect Since LeBron!?" "Emoni Bates became the first player ever to win Gatorade Player of The Year as a sophomore." That is the literal definition of generational lol

Winning an award doesn't mean you are a generational talent. There have been plenty of kids that win these awards at a young age and then flame out because they lack the ability to dominate when they aren't far and away the best kid on the floor. Again, a GENERATIONAL talent doesn't get to the collegiate level and look like a benchwarmer. A GENERATIONAL talent doesn't warm the bench late in games at the collegiate level because the coach would rather go with a less talented guy because the GENERATIONAL talent can't shoot a lick and honestly doesn't do much defensively. This is the problem with the mixtape generation: They don't know a **** thing about basketball and jerk off over trophies on the wall and highlights. I watched a ton of Memphis games this year, there were few and I mean few occasions in which Bates stood out. He looked average at best for most of the season and that's despite playing in a guard friendly system at Memphis.

I compared his first year to Lonnie Walker's. Lonnie was hurt for a good chunk of the year and still looked legit as the season wore on. Bates actually saw less PT as the season wore on, especially in crunch time. If Bates is a GENERATIONAL talent, then Lonnie and Bruce Brown must be the best players to have ever walked the earth, because they were far more impactful as true freshmen. Maybe, not just maybe these part time talent evaluators have some scary bad misses. Remember Earl Timberlake? Who in their right mind concluded that he was a 4 star talent? You could see potential, but 4 star? Nah.

Advertisement
Think the hype don't match the production- but still a highly skilled hooper with size.
Is he highly skilled? I don't see it. I see a very athletic, uniquely sized guard that can't shoot a lick, doesn't have a midrange, and really makes his money going to the basket. Was bad as a FT shooter(For a guard at least). I think people fall in love with these highlights of guys dunking on people, or lighting teams up in AAU tournaments, where defense is a rumor.

I see him as a guy that in a couple of years can turn the corner, because he needs some legit work. He has to buy into a system where he develops, and I don't know if he sees that as his future. Too many of these kids think they are 1 and Done players, very few truly are.

If Wong doesn't return I'd think another transfer guard would be a bigger need than Bates.

Advertisement
Not sold on this kid. Sure he could turn out to be what people thought he would, but he hasn’t shown anything close to that in college. Would rather take another already proven, transfer guard.

Is he highly skilled? I don't see it. I see a very athletic, uniquely sized guard that can't shoot a lick, doesn't have a midrange, and really makes his money going to the basket. Was bad as a FT shooter(For a guard at least). I think people fall in love with these highlights of guys dunking on people, or lighting teams up in AAU tournaments, where defense is a rumor.

I see him as a guy that in a couple of years can turn the corner, because he needs some legit work. He has to buy into a system where he develops, and I don't know if he sees that as his future. Too many of these kids think they are 1 and Done players, very few truly are.
Nah he can shoot it. He should be shooting 40% from three. His problem is shot selection. He hooped at memphis like he was still in hs. At his best he’s a big guard that can live in transition and use his handle to get to the rim but his shooting isn’t bad at all. Coach the bs out of him and let him get some muscle

Take some time to watch his workout videos online. He is highly skilled and def can shoot. I agree the hype from last 3 years may have got to him and as another poster noted they all ready making $. They don't call him mini KD for nothing- his skill level at that size isn't normal.

Take some time to watch his workout videos online. He is highly skilled and def can shoot. I agree the hype from last 3 years may have got to him and as another poster noted they all ready making $. They don't call him mini KD for nothing- his skill level at that size isn't normal.
Numbers don't lie when it comes to who can shoot. He shot 38.6 from the field and 32.9 from deep. His FT percentage was dreadful, especially for a talented guard. I couldn't care less what his workout videos are like, I pay attention to what someone does in ACTUAL GAMES. A lot of guys look great in workout situations, or in noncompetitive AAU games, but can't ball when the lights are on, they aren't the same player. Bates was a guy that looks like Tarzan, but played like Jane last season.

A good shooter also has a good idea what a quality shot looks like(for them), it's guys that are low volume chuckers that just throw up crap and hope it works. Like I said before, he's a project, and I don't believe projects are generational talents. I should be able to look at someone play and easily say "That's the best player on the floor" and it be a generational talent. Even if their game isn't fully developed, you should be able to see the flashes. Bates never flashed this season.

Advertisement
Back