Elite 11 Finalists -- interesting

Just a note: If anyone is interested and has an instagram account, you can watch tonights workouts on Elite11 instagram live. They are doing a pro type workout tonight.

It started about an hour ago. 6 QBs have gone. Kyle McCord (OSU) looks the best so far but all the other top guys have yet to go.

Advertisement
Glad I watched tonight. Pretty eye opening. It’s a tough competition- the guys who come in with all the fanfare have a lot of pressure. CJ Stroud from last year (OSU) holds the record with 50/60 pats scored. Kyle McCord (OSU) won Pro Day with a score of 45. Drake Maye (UNC) finishes 2nd. Moss , Nussmeier , Buchner were also in the top 5-6 with scores around 38-40. Caleb Williams had a rough night. Scored 34. Left the field without saying a word. Was never seen on camera again. Brock Vandagriff scored a 32.
Carlos Del Rio scored a 35. The Other Texas guys were clearly less polished although I thought Salter made some nice throws. Altmeyer scored 29.

The WRs were bad- made it harder on the QBs.

Each QB makes 20 throws that are scored either a 1-2 or 3. Total points are added.

Glad I watched tonight. Pretty eye opening. It’s a tough competition- the guys who come in with all the fanfare have a lot of pressure. CJ Stroud from last year (OSU) holds the record with 50/60 pats scored. Kyle McCord (OSU) won Pro Day with a score of 45. Drake Maye (UNC) finishes 2nd. Moss , Nussmeier , Buchner were also in the top 5-6 with scores around 38-40. Caleb Williams had a rough night. Scored 34. Left the field without saying a word. Was never seen on camera again. Brock Vandagriff scored a 32.
Carlos Del Rio scored a 35. The Other Texas guys were clearly less polished although I thought Salter made some nice throws. Altmeyer scored 29.

The WRs were bad- made it harder on the QBs.

Each QB makes 20 throws that are scored either a 1-2 or 3. Total points are added.
Ty Thompson had a 39, Tyler Macon had a 35 & Drones had a 35.

The Spread/Air Raid kids didn't do as well because they were doing Pro Style drills that they had never done before. Everything was rhythm based & lots of 3/5/7-step drop Pro day drills, it was basically what you would see from college QB's preparing for the draft going through a pre-combine workout.

Some background on Kopp: (the Athletic background article highlights)

Kopp is a big dude, too, at 6-foot-5 and 210 pounds. The Houston St. Thomas passer understands why he has flown under the radar.

“Honestly, I’m so late on the scene for football,” Kopp said. “I always grew up playing AAU basketball, from fourth grade until this past year. That was literally my life. And football was in there, I still played football. But I never really took it as serious as I did basketball.”

He’s the youngest of four brothers in a family full of athletes. Braden played football at Vanderbilt, Miller plays basketball at Northwestern and Anderson plays basketball at Lamar. And Maddox can throw it down like the rest of them.

He backed up Miami’s Peyton Matocha at St. Thomas until his junior year. When he got his shot, he earned second-team all-state honors in TAPPS after throwing for 3,106 yards and 28 touchdowns and leading his squad to the state semifinals, where it lost to the same foe, Parish Episcopal.

He has spent the past few months training with Darrell Colbert Jr., along with fellow Elite 11 quarterback Kyron Drones, Miami’s D’Eriq King and Florida’s Kyle Trask, and vows it has made a huge difference in his arm strength, release and ball placement.

Great find here.

Advertisement

The Spread/Air Raid kids didn't do as well because they were doing Pro Style drills that they had never done before. Everything was rhythm based & lots of 3/5/7-step drop Pro day drills, it was basically what you would see from college QB's preparing for the draft going through a pre-combine workout.

makes sense. I can't remember which Texas guy it was - I think maybe Dee Davis- had never "been under center" for this kind of thing before.

Last edited:

Did you watch it? What do you think of this analysis?

To give some perspective to the Elite 11 rankings - especially since they don't necessarily seem to correspond to the performances last night- going into the Pro workout, the QBs were ranked using the following formula:

#Elite11 Rankings prior to Pro Day Workout

*determined by Elite 11 coaching staff - 50% junior season film & performance/50% camp eval & traits

So those who were already ranked high based on film, remained high. The entire ranking system is very subjective. If they like a guy before the event, that carried on into the rankings AT the event...

Advertisement
So, I just watched them give the MVP award to Caleb Williams. It was said that the final rankings were a combination of the events - 25%, their film and subjective evaluations and their "perceived future development".

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like they figured out how to keep him ranked #1 and win the MVP...... To his credit, I think he knows he didn't earn the recognition... he didn't seem particularly elated when he got up to get the plaque...

Anyone else watch it today?

Just for reference, BVG killed the challenge today. Williams was no better than middle of the pack ...... Same last night...

I've seen quite a few comments about the Elite 11 results. Now, it's been announced that results were determined on "50% camp", 50% Jr. tape/subjective" Changed from the way it was announced as "25% camp, 75% JR film/subjective". Guess the people running it don't even know how they judged it.....

Saw this post last night - couldn't have said it better myself. The way this camp was conducted this year really diminished it in many people's eyes:

What an absolute insult to these kids and their families. They fly out during a global pandemic and take a huge risk to attend this camp. They do that because they want to develop their skills, sure, but they also do it measure their talents against other top QB propects in what is ostensibly an honest, somewhat objective competition to rank the top 11 of them in order from best to worst. It is supposedly some big honor to be named an Elite 11 QB, let alone be named MVP.

And then, inexplicably, the people running the camp decide that they shouldn’t be ranked on what they do at the camp. They rank a dude #1 after he was 10th *at best* because they “liked his junior film”.

Other players so dramatically outperformed Williams at the Elite 11 that it is obvious that there was nothing anyone could do to win the MVP title over him. I can’t imagine how someone could invite kids to “compete” in a camp in good conscience knowing that the “MVP” of the camp had been pre-determined. Did anybody tell them before they got there that Caleb was going to be the MVP and everyone else would be competing to finish second at best?

So, I just watched them give the MVP award to Caleb Williams. It was said that the final rankings were a combination of the events - 25%, their film and subjective evaluations and their "perceived future development".

Maybe it's just me but it sure seems like they figured out how to keep him ranked #1 and win the MVP...... To his credit, I think he knows he didn't earn the recognition... he didn't seem particularly elated when he got up to get the plaque...

Anyone else watch it today?

Just for reference, BVG killed the challenge today. Williams was no better than middle of the pack ...... Same last night...
That's another reason why these camps are a hype circus and a joke. You should have known on the first day of that camp when they were saying, "Caleb Williams is the best by far and it's not even close" what was going to happen. They were saying that **** before they even had any real competition.

Advertisement
That's another reason why these camps are a hype circus and a joke. You should have known on the first day of that camp when they were saying, "Caleb Williams is the best by far and it's not even close" what was going to happen. They were saying that **** before they even had any real competition.

yes, you are right. They made no effort to conceal the outcome was predetermined.

To give some perspective to the Elite 11 rankings - especially since they don't necessarily seem to correspond to the performances last night- going into the Pro workout, the QBs were ranked using the following formula:

#Elite11 Rankings prior to Pro Day Workout

*determined by Elite 11 coaching staff - 50% junior season film & performance/50% camp eval & traits

So those who were already ranked high based on film, remained high. The entire ranking system is very subjective. If they like a guy before the event, that carried on into the rankings AT the event...

That’s TRASH!!!

Advertisement
Ivins and Lake talked about Miller Moss vs Garcia on their latest podcast. Neither had seen Moss throw before the Elite 11 other than his highlight film. Both felt they would take Garcia over Moss for sure and don't really see why USC would jeopardize losing him by taking Moss.

Moss certainly has talent and seems to be very outgoing and a real character. Kind of nerdy. He was caught on camera and video a lot during the Pro Day events. Ivins felt that after seeing Garcia in person and the little interaction they had with him, he would be a much better fit for Miami than Moss would.

One of them probably won't be there in another year if they both sign with USC anyway.

From all the drills that I watched Ty Thompson, Kyron Drones, Brock Vandagriff, Drake Maye, Garrett Nussmeier, Grayson James, Maddox Kopp, Behren Morton & Tyler Macon were the best QB's. Caleb Williams looked pretty average to me.

However, one thing you should never do is judge a QB based on drill work, it can be super deceiving because some QB's are not as dialed in when throwing passes on air vs when they are actually under pressure in live football situations. QB drills do not determine how skilled or how good a QB is, it's more about showing their ability to make certain throws in a choreographed situation, it's very important to remember that.

Game film supersedes all, always. Judge a QB by that they do in pads vs an actual Defense, not what they do in Under armor gear vs Air.

Advertisement
Back