Elijah Arroyo vs TAMU

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
One of the players for whom I'd love for us to specifically script plays and find matchups.

I've written elsewhere I think we'll need to be very specific with our matchups (e.g. Arroyo, Knighton, George against their lesser CB, Brinson, etc.) against TAMU's defense. I hope it looks something like this (which I've posted before, but now specific to TAMU).

Someone has to win matchups.

Advertisement
Texas A&M isn't very aggressive in terms of how often they blitz, I've read. If they're going to be very disciplined, little dumps and screens to try to get Arroyo some YAC might not be the best route.

I hope we spread them out and use the TE's up the middle often.

Texas A&M isn't very aggressive in terms of how often they blitz, I've read. If they're going to be very disciplined, little dumps and screens to try to get Arroyo some YAC might not be the best route.

I have a feeling they will blitz us more this game given how poorly we handled it last week

Advertisement

If I were them, I’d run blitz the **** out of us and take my chances until we prove we can beat it. And, I think the guys I mentioned are our best shots at winning a matchup.

I have a feeling they will blitz us more this game given how poorly we handled it last week
Thats where Parrish becomes really important. Hes a much better blocker than Knighton, so he needs to be in the game a lot. Still want to see Knightons speed and elusiveness on the field though...maybe some two back sets, motion him out of the backfield before the snap to try to get some space for him in the passing game, etc.

Man, those are ugly unis.

But I agree that Arroyo would be a good guy to look for.

We are going to need to take shots down the field to keep them honest. Maybe we win a few of those shots, maybe we don't. Those would be the explosive plays.

But we also need to be efficient and move the chains. I posted elsewhere that I think Mario would be fine playing this game as a rock fight (then opening up the offense vs weaker opponents to help with WR recruiting). I think he will try to control the clock, just like App did. Move the chains, and set up our all-American punter to win the field position battle.

To move the chains, we need more than RB up the gut. Mallory and Arroyo seem to be the guys that will have the best chance to win individual matchups.

I would also expect more of a screen game than we have seen so far. Our OLmen have been pulling a lot so far, which translates to RB screen game. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of screens, then maybe a fake screen/go type play so someone like Smith.

As much as people want to open it up and throw the ball around, I just don't see this as the week to do it. Their offense struggles to move the ball. We have a special teams advantage at punter and kicker. If 21 points wins this game, there is no need to risk turnovers, until you have to risk it due to game circumstances.
Yes, this is playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. But the team we are playing has shown a propensity to shoot themself in the foot.

Win field position, make FGs, don't turn the ball over (and hope their lesser QB does turn the ball over), and just give yourself a chance in the 4th quarter in a very difficult road envoirnment. I think that is the smart gameplan, and I think that is exactly what Mario plans on doing.

Advertisement
Are you saying he cannot be more? Are you aware that this thread is advocating he does more than what he's been asked to do for the first two games?
Of course - it wasnt meant to be inflammatory even with the diss.
He CAN be much more....
But we have people in here thinking Mario is going to come into a night road game vs a ranked team down his QBs favorite target and start all the sudden airing it out.
That ain't happening. We will try to establish the run and match the fronts we see...and then run it some more.

Of course - it wasnt meant to be inflammatory even with the diss.
He CAN be much more....
But we have people in here thinking Mario is going to come into a night road game vs a ranked team down his QBs favorite target and start all the sudden airing it out.
That ain't happening. We will try to establish the run and match the fronts we see...and then run it some more.

I don't think targeting Arroyo equates to "airing it out." I'd be shocked if we go 5WR and change our route combinations. But, there is a real pathw for Mario/Gattis to get Arroyo more involved. If he doesn't, and we truly just try to run into what they're likely to do on 1st and 2nd down, chances are we'll get smacked. We shall see.

Advertisement

A&M will dare our wr’s and te’s to beat them, they don’t think they can and I can’t blame them until I see different. We’ll have opportunities to hurt them with big plays , the question is can we make them pay? If we lineup and try to do what App State did or what what we did the last two weeks it’ll be over quick. Playing that front with a numbers advantage in a phone booth would be stupid. We’ll need some breaks and some guys to step up big time to win this. Miami will have all their attention unlike App State.

I don't think targeting Arroyo equates to "airing it out." I'd be shocked if we go 5WR and change our route combinations. But, there is a real pathw for Mario/Gattis to get Arroyo more involved. If he doesn't, and we truly just try to run into what they're likely to do on 1st and 2nd down, chances are we'll get smacked. We shall see.
"airing it out" in this thread no - but in others yes....and I am simply guilty of combining all of that into this thread lol.
for Arroyo, they will need him to match fronts based on what we will be trying to accomplish running the ball - A&M will show us stacked fronts all night...ergo you aint gonna see him going 8 for 100 with 2 tds....all just my opinion ofc
is it what I would do? **** no....but IMO its exactly what we'll see. we shall see

Advertisement
A&M will dare our wr’s and te’s to beat them, they don’t think they can and I can’t blame them until I see different. We’ll have opportunities to hurt them with big plays , the question is can we make them pay? If we lineup and try to do what App State did or what what we did the last two weeks it’ll be over quick. Playing that front with a numbers advantage in a phone booth would be stupid. We’ll need some breaks and some guys to step up big time to win this. Miami will have all their attention unlike App State.
I don’t usually buy the “didn’t have their attention” angle.

I guess maybe aTm could come out slow, look ahead or whatever. But come 2nd Q/ halftime, and you are getting whipped, it’s time to wake up. Just like Miami did last weekend.

I think that maybe this aTm team just isn’t good. And, personally, I think we can beat them with the same game plan app showed.

I don’t usually buy the “didn’t have their attention” angle.

I guess maybe aTm could come out slow, look ahead or whatever. But come 2nd Q/ halftime, and you are getting whipped, it’s time to wake up. Just like Miami did last weekend.

I think that maybe this aTm team just isn’t good. And, personally, I think we can beat them with the same game plan app showed.
App State isn‘t Southern Miss, nowhere close. If you play around with them a half you’ve already royally f’d up. Then pressure and frustration starts mounting. It’s like quick sand. You could seem start pressing the later it got. You can’t just turn it on and off like that against a quality coaches team that fights.

One of the players for whom I'd love for us to specifically script plays and find matchups.

I've written elsewhere I think we'll need to be very specific with our matchups (e.g. Arroyo, Knighton, George against their lesser CB, Brinson, etc.) against TAMU's defense. I hope it looks something like this (which I've posted before, but now specific to TAMU).

Someone has to win matchups.

Win match-up and don't fumble

It's all up to Gattis and his gameplan...I'll know what I need to know about him Sat.

This right here. I don’t think anyone here truly thinks Gattis isn’t good. Some of us have just been watching stubborn coaches since 2003.

Stubbornness has been the issue with every coach we have had here in the last 20 years. We came into this season with a bonafide QB who should be the focal point of the offense. The first two weeks it seems he wasn’t and that’s fine. But now the show really starts. Is Gattis going to play to our strengths or just try and win “his way”. We’ll all know what we need to know.

Advertisement
Back