Elevation a factor vs App st?

A weasly sort asked Kevin Patrick a question similar to the facquity one bmorecane asked here before UM traveled to Boulder to play Colorado in the 90s. KP answered, "Thin air, no air, lots of air. Doesn't matter."

[video=youtube_share;K6U75e-Sw4Q]https://youtu.be/K6U75e-Sw4Q?t=4331[/video]

We must look to our past to be de-goldenized. Go to 1:12:00 to see how the Canes used to handle high altitude.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A weasly sort asked Kevin Patrick a question similar to the facquity one bmorecane asked here before UM traveled to Boulder to play Colorado in the 90s. KP answered, "Thin air, no air, lots of air. Doesn't matter."

[video=youtube_share;K6U75e-Sw4Q]https://youtu.be/K6U75e-Sw4Q?t=4331[/video]

We must look to our past to be de-goldenized. Go to 1:12:00 to see how the Canes used to handle high altitude.

Watching Pat Riley attack gaps made me nearly shed a tear that we're seeing Mcintosh and the gang allowed to play the only way a Miami DL should.

I see you guys aren't up on your physics. See, Miami actually has the advantage because they practice running through the super-thick air at sea level. Also because they have much, much better athletes who are, one would assume, pretty ****y about how much of a struggle people think this game will be.

Advertisement
I know this was a genuine question so it should be answered appropriately: it's not that big of a deal.

I also want to make note that today, on this very site, we've now read about:

1. altitude issues
2. Boone being one of the three loudest stadiums we'll face

My opinion:

We need those remediation machines pumped through our program to get Al Golden's stench out of here. I hope we go into Boone with rumors of Kaaya's ailing shoulder, altitude and "wild noise" and, through a slaughter, create a brand new smell to overwhelm any future excuse: blood.

Come on, man. We have about 25x the amount of future NFL players. Most of them have already played a year of college football or more. No more excuses, please.

Thank you, just go up there and beat the crap out of appy.

Actually, a noon game means temperatures in the 80's or more, I was thinking that would be an advantage to us.

Perhaps sarcasm, but 80 degree days there are uncommon. 20 years ago, you would only see the low 80's a handful of times in the hottest of months. It's one of the reasons there's more Floridians there in the summer than people that actually live there.

Actually, a noon game means temperatures in the 80's or more, I was thinking that would be an advantage to us.

Perhaps sarcasm, but 80 degree days there are uncommon. 20 years ago, you would only see the low 80's a handful of times in the hottest of months. It's one of the reasons there's more Floridians there in the summer than people that actually live there.

This is why you're a cūnt.

You don't watch the canes play, and you make up bullshīt to pass yourself as knowledgeable, when you're not.

80 degrees in the middle of the day in summer is very common. In fact, the avg summer high is very close to 80.

You don't watch games, you make up shīt, just stop posting and delete your account.

Advertisement
Want to remove the stench?

Stop constantly bringing up the last staff......which by the way....the garbage smell started much, much earlier, but was just lit on fire by the last group.

You don't watch the canes play, and you make up bullshīt to pass yourself as knowledgeable, when you're not.

80 degrees in the middle of the day in summer is very common. In fact, the avg summer high is very close to 80.

You don't watch games, you make up shīt, just stop posting and delete your account.

Yawn, I watch games, just not on ESPN3. Sorry, family events (kids playing soccer (2 different age groups) and football on the weekends plus running a post office) takes precidence over watching an ESPN 3 broadcast against some sister of the poor team. Granted, I get it....all you've got is a football team to define yourself so by all means continue to do so. Thanks to Liberty City posting the game up, I watched the majority of our last game earlier in the week.

So the average summer temperature is close to 80, 80, below 80, above 80, or what? What month or months? I used to live there smartass. Even when I moved away, my mother still lived there. 20 years ago it was as I said. 2 years ago, 80 degree days were a bit more common, but not the norm. The poster I quoted said 80's or higher. 90+ would be higher than 80's and is as common as you having a rudimentary understanding of what you read. The lower the altitude the hotter it can be. You can be in Boone downtown and it's 80, go up to where my mother lived and it's 75.

Anyhow, if anyone wants to see what the temps and game time conditions are, use Ray's Weather for Watauga and other high country forecasts. Weather.com and other big weather outlets are often off quite a bit with their area forecasts.

Last edited:

Yawn, I watch games, just not on ESPN3. Sorry, family events (kids playing soccer (2 different age groups) and football on the weekends plus running a post office) takes precidence over watching an ESPN 3 broadcast against some sister of the poor team. Granted, I get it....all you've got is a football team to define yourself so by all means continue to do so. Thanks to Liberty City posting the game up, I watched the majority of our last game earlier in the week.

So the average summer temperature is close to 80, 80, below 80, above 80, or what? What month or months? I used to live there smartass. Even when I moved away, my mother still lived there. 20 years ago it was as I said. 2 years ago, 80 degree days were a bit more common, but not the norm. The poster I quoted said 80's or higher. 90+ would be higher than 80's and is as common as you having a rudimentary understanding of what you read. The lower the altitude the hotter it can be. You can be in Boone downtown and it's 80, go up to where my mother lived and it's 75.

Anyhow, if wants to see what the temps and game time conditions are, use Ray's Weather for Watauga and other high country forecasts. Weather.com is often off quite a bit with their area forecasts.

LMFAO - the soccer mom is in a tizz. Go clean out you minivan and pick up the kids. And yes, it hits the 80's plenty in that area during the summer.

Advertisement
Yawn again, skip answering questions I asked and carry on with the juvenile insults....hit reply.

Fact, I know far more about the area, hiking, eating, skiing, whitewater kayaking or rafting, driving, drinking, summer, fall, winter, or spring than you do. See, I lived there and even when I didn't, I'd still visit four to six weeks of the year. We also have a family vacation home in Foscoe, NC at the base of Grandfather Mountain. Guess where I'll be Thanksgiving and part of the kids Christmas break.

So carry on, there's no sense in arguing with someone who doesn't know the area and has no local knowledge. By the eay, Foscoe is just a tad lower in elevation than Boone, so it'll be a degree or two warmer just about every day. Sorrento Highlands above Boone can be 5 higher.

This is America. We don't use meters. Do you know who uses meters? Canadians and Terrorists? Are you a Canadian?

Wait, I thought the Canadians were the terrorists.

Yes

landscape-1449501613-gettyimages-500246210.jpg

Advertisement
If this was a serious factor, places like Wyoming, Colorado and Colorado state would have a fortress-like home field advantage.

NC not so much a factor but Colorado is a factor. That's why the Broncos have such advantage at home

Your football team will have no trouble with the altitude, nor will anyone in relatively decent shape. Boone is only 3,333 in altitude. While that's significant compared to sea level, it won't be a factor for any athlete. You've got to pass the 5,000 foot mark to see any real differences.

We're expecting the highs to be in the mid-70's on Saturday with a slight chance of rain earlier in the day. Your guys will think they're playing in air conditioning!

See y'all in Boone.

It's not even worth thinking about unless they're playing against a team in La Paz, Bolivia or some other city with real elevation....

Reading that effects can be felt starting st 1500m above sea level. Boone sits at about 1000m.

But also read that in running, NCAA make allowances for race results at altitude. "When attempting to qualify for a 10K championship race, for example, in Boone, NC (3,300’), collegiate men receive a 30 second adjustment; in Boulder, CO (5,200’), the allowance is 64 seconds; 10,000 meters on Northern Arizona University’s track in Flagstaff, AZ, (6,900’) is given a 99 second improvement; and while in Gunnison, CO (7,700’), runners lop off two full minutes from their posted time."

It's an apples and oranges thing. The adjustment is given because the runners are in different altitudes, so a runner at high altitude has a harder time than someone running the same race at a lower altitude. The game is played at the same time, and the amount of acclimation for 3,000 ft compared to sea level is not that big a deal. Like someone said above, Colorado teams would never lose if it was that big a deal, and they are much higher than in Boone.

Advertisement
Back