Elephant in the Room: Delayed Blitzes

Advertisement
Manny Diaz's defense is all about getting the opponent behind schedule at some point in the drive. Its not bend-but-don't-break, but you're going to get yards and first downs on Miami...the goal is just to eventually get you behind schedule with TFL, sacks, and penalties and then tee off with the pass rush - almost, at times, nonsensically and force turnovers.

When we had a garbage offense, relying on this type of defense is most often going to leave you hanging...but when you've got an offense that can score points and move the chains, Manny's defense is perfectly acceptable to compete with almost everybody, even if I don't like it schematically nor is it as stout as you'd like.

someone draw up the metrics of it's success to failure rate and send that to manny and co....

Can we get a message to El JeFe to make it stop, please? Preferably in passing. The pizza delivery method worked as well. Want to keep it positive.. although Ozar's guy said he could use the work. Conundrum. Kidding. Sorry Inday.
There weren't that many on Saturday, thankfully, and to be fair one got home and stopped them on a 4th and 3. But there was also a drive he ran like 4 in a row and none of them worked.

Advertisement
A lot of what fans call delayed blitzes are the linebackers being taught to rush as the play develops and no ones in their zone. But the actual delayed blitzes I don't think anyones a fan of.
Correct. I'm talking about the safety/corner blitzes that are 20 yards away from QB at time of snap.

Advertisement
It reminds me of when I used to play Madden ‘98 at 8 years old and I used to just blitz every single play with no idea what the **** I was doing whatsoever

It's not Manny, it's the Baker man...

There was a Blitz called in the 4th quarter where we sent Keontra Smith coming from about 9yds off the line & Cunningham literally threw the ball exactly where Smith would've been had he not been sent on an unnecessary Blitz.

As a former CB, I LOVE aggressive Defense, what I can't stand is unnecessary aggression with no rhyme or reason behind it. Being Blitz heavy isn't even a bad thing, my Ravens DC Wink Martindale Blitzes more than any other DC we've had since Rex Ryan was our DCoordinator, but the difference is Coach Martindale's Blitzing is extremely well designed & architected, it's well schemed from disguised looks where the QB has no idea who's coming or how many.

I've got no issue with us Blitzing over 50%, what needs to be corrected is pre-snap alignments & having more disguised looks on the front 7. Our LB's line up in the exact same gap & have the same depth on every play, if we're going to be so Blitz heavy we should have our LB's moving pre-snap & if the Striker is coming he needs to come up the line, sending a DB from the 2nd level all the way to the pocket used to work vs Pro style bro offense back when passing plays took longer to develop & you could surprise an offense with an extra defender coming late from midfield depth, now vs quick pass Spread attacks it's pointless to send a DB/S from so far back in the Middle 3rd shell because by the time they get to the pocket the ball is already gone.

Frequent Blitzing is about creating havoc & disrupting rhythm by putting immense pressure on the OL, but the way to be effective with heavy Blitzing is by being methodical about it, it's about the Chess match of Zigging when the Offense thinks you will Zag & Zagging when they think you'll Zig. The worst thing to do is be predictable & telegraph your Blitzes, you don't send the exact same guys on the exact same downs from the same looks every single time, you gotta mix it up & do it when you have the personnel advantage.

This is where a guy like Huff needs to get reps this season, instead of having a big athletic LB standing on the sideline all year, let a kid like Huff get in on a Blitz package, if they're worried about him knowing his assignments you don't have to put him in as a Coverage backer, just throw him out there on a down where you're sending 5 or 6 & let him help collapse the pocket.

It's not Manny, it's the Baker man...

There was a Blitz called in the 4th quarter where we sent Keontra Smith coming from about 9yds off the line & Cunningham literally threw the ball exactly where Smith would've been had he not been sent on an unnecessary Blitz.

As a former CB, I LOVE aggressive Defense, what I can't stand is unnecessary aggression with no rhyme or reason behind it. Being Blitz heavy isn't even a bad thing, my Ravens DC Wink Martindale Blitzes more than any other DC we've had since Rex Ryan was our DCoordinator, but the difference is Coach Martindale's Blitzing is extremely well designed & architected, it's well schemed from disguised looks where the QB has no idea who's coming or how many.

I've got no issue with us Blitzing over 50%, what needs to be corrected is pre-snap alignments & having more disguised looks on the front 7. Our LB's line up in the exact same gap & have the same depth on every play, if we're going to be so Blitz heavy we should have our LB's moving pre-snap & if the Striker is coming he needs to come up the line, sending a DB from the 2nd level all the way to the pocket used to work vs Pro style bro offense back when passing plays took longer to develop & you could surprise an offense with an extra defender coming late from midfield depth, now vs quick pass Spread attacks it's pointless to send a DB/S from so far back in the Middle 3rd shell because by the time they get to the pocket the ball is already gone.

Frequent Blitzing is about creating havoc & disrupting rhythm by putting immense pressure on the OL, but the way to be effective with heavy Blitzing is by being methodical about it, it's about the Chess match of Zigging when the Offense thinks you will Zag & Zagging when they think you'll Zig. The worst thing to do is be predictable & telegraph your Blitzes, you don't send the exact same guys on the exact same downs from the same looks every single time, you gotta mix it up & do it when you have the personnel advantage.

This is where a guy like Huff needs to get reps this season, instead of having a big athletic LB standing on the sideline all year, let a kid like Huff get in on a Blitz package, if they're worried about him knowing his assignments you don't have to put him in as a Coverage backer, just throw him out there on a down where you're sending 5 or 6 & let him help collapse the pocket.

Bro thank god you said thisAs a former MLB it pains me to see unnecessary aggression.

I remember when Richt hired him and a lot of fans were upset about the hire talking about how bad his Texas defenses were.

To me. If you are going to get beaten. I’d rather go out swinging than go out soft on some Coach No D type ****.

If you going to bring it and be aggressive then ****INGG BRING IT. I can live with that.

Bruh Rex Ryan is a **** of a defensive coach. From the Ravens to the jets. What he did with Revis and Cromartie is unforgettable. I wish Diaz would give that man a call instead of telecasting and replace Baker with him.

But your post is spot on bro.

You me and coach macho keep tripping about the pre-snap alignments because they are ****** HORRIBLE.

So much of what we get wrong defensively is due to alignment

Advertisement
If we would play bump man behind these blitzes, it wouldnt be a problem because they are coming thru.

Pressure is just late tho. Every time.

Advertisement
Back