Eerie Similarity Between Post 2013 and 2020 Season Program/Career Defining Choice

FL Cane

Senior
Back in 2013, Miami finished the season 9-4 after losing in a blowout to Louisville. It was the best season Miami had had since 2009's 9-4 season (with a loss in the same bowl game). This year, Miami finished 8-3 with a much closer bowl loss to OKST. This 8-3 season was Miami's best record since 2017's 10-3 campaign.

After that humiliating loss to Louisville and a number of terrible defensive performances throughout the season, Al Golden faced a career and program defining choice: to keep or dismiss DC Mark D'Onofrio. Golden failed the test, and a season and a half later he was gone. I think we all knew then that once Golden didn't dismiss D'Onofrio after the Louisville bowl loss that it was over for him. Wasn't a question of if he'd be dismissed as HC from Miami, but when.

Now in 2020, CMD faces the exact same career and program defining choice: to keep or dismiss DC Blake Baker. If Diaz doesn't dismiss his DC and rebuild his defensive staff top to bottom he'll, unfortunately, have the same career-ending at Miami that Al Golden had. Our defense over the past two seasons has completely regressed. It bears no similarity to the defenses we fielded from 2016-2018. The only difference between 2019-2020, and 2016-2018, is the DC running our defense.

The jury is still out on whether CMD will get the job done here at Miami, but only until his choice with regard to the defensive staff is made. Once it is, we'll know whether he has a fighting chance, or whether he'll end up just like Al Golden.

Btw, if he did retain Baker, wouldn't matter if he ultimately dismissed him next season if things didn't work out. Much like Golden in 2014, everyone wanted him gone by then, and dismissing D'Onofrio would have been a decision one-year too late.

Advertisement
Blake James won't fire Manny after next season. And Julio Frenk won't fire Blake James. I think you're looking at another 2 years of Manny Diaz, at least, and IF he is let go.... Blake James will be picking his replacement.

This program is ****ed until the people running the ship decide to make football a priority and go hire competent people. They could make that decision tomorrow if they wanted to. But they've done nothing to lead me to believe that they'll wake up one morning and magically figure it out. Not this year, not next year.

Miami football is dead and buried. It's been that way.

Just reading your first paragraph is enough to depress any Canes fan. 12 years, 4 seasons with 3 losses were our "good" seasons.
Really does suck. Only 9-win/plus seasons in the past 15 years have been 2009, 2013, 2016, and 2017. The 2016 season was the only legitimate one where we actually ended it with a great bowl win, and where the program really looked like it was on the up and up.

Advertisement
Blake James won't fire Manny after next season. And Julio Frenk won't fire Blake James. I think you're looking at another 2 years of Manny Diaz, at least, and IF he is let go.... Blake James will be picking his replacement.

This program is ****ed until the people running the ship decide to make football a priority and go hire competent people. They could make that decision tomorrow if they wanted to. But they've done nothing to lead me to believe that they'll wake up one morning and magically figure it out. Not this year, not next year.

Miami football is dead and buried. It's been that way.
Agree with a lot of this, think some of it is TBD.

One thing I completely agree on though is that Manny is here through the 2022 season at least. No way he gets dismissed next year even if we go 6-6/7-5.

Anyone that has listened to Blake James talk in relation to his resume can tell Manny is a direct extension of himself... a walking con man that is successful by accident and off the backs of others, but are naive enough to act like that success was 100% their doing

other schools are sooooo much more committed to winning, meanwhile our entire football program all the way up to the university board doesn’t know what it doesn’t know

the school is so desperate and lazy for any shred of success that they will believe any snake oil salesman handing out free samples (ie Turnover chain)

Miami leadership is where you can come and steal money for your friends and family.. We are have bluechip history but operate like mom and pop shop so you can reallllly eat, you and the whole fam.. Dont even need to win it all to get extensions, just drop standards low, be above them next season, demand extension.. Manny is telling Blake he interviewed for NFL opening he needs a commitment from him asap, same he did with Temple ****..

Advertisement
Richt and golden both made the same mistake... just on opposite sides of the ball. If Richt would’ve been able to push his ego (and son) aside, and hired a Lashlee type OC, we’d be in a much different situation now. If golden would’ve fired his BFF, we’d also be in a much better spot.

Manny is hanging himself with the same noose. Ego and nepotism has killled Miami football.

so .... Baker gets fired and diaz starts smoking a pipe and magically becomes Schnellenberger ?

facepalm dos eqqus.gif

Mandy Dannon aint winnin anything at Miami, his calling card is a defense that is as flawed as his decision making wrt hiring competent people as his defensive coaches...

Doesnt matter who he hires he aint winnin jack **** at Miami...

Advertisement
Here is my take on all of this:

1. If Manny doesnt have a spot in the ACC title game and the defense continues to be a problem, he will be let go. Regression is the stuff that he is fighting against. And the defense is his, make no mistake about it.

2. Blake James will be fired as well. There was a reason why the BOT (or part of it) wanted Highsmith, up to the point where they were willing to pay his full salary. Not everyone up there is a fan of Manny and/or Blake James. Its his hire and if it fails, be prepared.

3. Public pressure is a thing, even on social media. Pretty sure most of you understand what mob mentality means. They dont (and cannot) ignore social media. Blake Baker continues to disable the comment section under his tweets, which prevents people from making comments. Miami did the same after the UNC loss. If Baker stays (and he will) you will see a lot of people, including former players, being upset with it. And in a program like Miamis, thats an opposition you dont want to have.

Add to the fact that Miamis fanbase is knowingly unforgiving when it comes to failure. And I would like to add a final analogy:

To anyone who is familiar with soccer, Bayern Munich hired Hansi Flick as an assistant to then head coach Niko Kovac. Not only was Flick tasked to improve the offense from a scheme perspective, he was hired to account for a potential Kovac firing considering he had coaching experience and won a World Cup as a lead assistant. Kovac ended up getting fired and Hansi Flick was the new head coach. Bayern Munich has broken records for consecutive wins in the Champions League and still holds the record for most consecutive games without a loss. If they win the Club World Cup that will start soon, Bayern has won five major trophies trophies since Flick was hired and being called the best team in the world.

Rhett Lashlee was given a raise and a assistant HC title (whatever you want to call it). Guess who will be the guy after Manny ends up getting dumped...

Golden and Dorito, MR and his son, now Manny and Faker. Did AD blake hire all 3 with Nepotistic and career suicidal traits?

Advertisement
Here is my take on all of this:

1. If Manny doesnt have a spot in the ACC title game and the defense continues to be a problem, he will be let go. Regression is the stuff that he is fighting against. And the defense is his, make no mistake about it.

2. Blake James will be fired as well. There was a reason why the BOT (or part of it) wanted Highsmith, up to the point where they were willing to pay his full salary. Not everyone up there is a fan of Manny and/or Blake James. Its his hire and if it fails, be prepared.

3. Public pressure is a thing, even on social media. Pretty sure most of you understand what mob mentality means. They dont (and cannot) ignore social media. Blake Baker continues to disable the comment section under his tweets, which prevents people from making comments. Miami did the same after the UNC loss. If Baker stays (and he will) you will see a lot of people, including former players, being upset with it. And in a program like Miamis, thats an opposition you dont want to have.

Add to the fact that Miamis fanbase is knowingly unforgiving when it comes to failure. And I would like to add a final analogy:

To anyone who is familiar with soccer, Bayern Munich hired Hansi Flick as an assistant to then head coach Niko Kovac. Not only was Flick tasked to improve the offense from a scheme perspective, he was hired to account for a potential Kovac firing considering he had coaching experience and won a World Cup as a lead assistant. Kovac ended up getting fired and Hansi Flick was the new head coach. Bayern Munich has broken records for consecutive wins in the Champions League and still holds the record for most consecutive games without a loss. If they win the Club World Cup that will start soon, Bayern has won five major trophies trophies since Flick was hired and being called the best team in the world.

Rhett Lashlee was given a raise and a assistant HC title (whatever you want to call it). Guess who will be the guy after Manny ends up getting dumped...
I agree with everything you posted, up until the Rhett Lashlee part. There’s a chance he’s the next head coach here and there’s a chance he isn’t. Alonzo is in Seattle and everyone who wanted him here knows that. He’s a VERY VERY VERY vocal Cane. He’s been campaigning this entire week. He didn’t go quietly. He will replace Blake and make that decision after next season if Manny isn’t successful.

I agree with everything you posted, up until the Rhett Lashlee part. There’s a chance he’s the next head coach here and there’s a chance he isn’t. Alonzo is in Seattle and everyone who wanted him here knows that. He’s a VERY VERY VERY vocal Cane. He’s been campaigning this entire week. He didn’t go quietly. He will replace Blake and make that decision after next season if Manny isn’t successful.

That could be true but Blake could fire Manny mid-season to promote Lashlee making both of you correct.

My take, give Manny another week. Rumph is the lowest bar I’ve set for him. If he can’t fire Rumph then Manny is going to fail as a coach.

That could be true but Blake could fire Manny mid-season to promote Lashlee making both of you correct.

My take, give Manny another week. Rumph is the lowest bar I’ve set for him. If he can’t fire Rumph then Manny is going to fail as a coach.
Firing Rumph should be as much of a given as firing Enos in 2019....

Advertisement
Back