Ed Reed - 2002 draft article

Advertisement
Does that guy still have a job?

Probably should change his name, don't want that article to be the first thing that comes up when his kids google his name.

Said Newsome: "The thing that really sold me on him is every time we watched Miami's defense, and they needed a play to be made, Ed Reed made that play. When they needed a fire to be put out, Ed Reed put the fire out."

The same could be said of Jaquan Johnson over the past couple years. He made a lot of huge plays at crucial moments. The three that stand out the most to me are the FF against VT, the interception against FSU, and the Pick 6 against UVA. I know he made some other big ones though.

Looking through mock drafts, there are a lot of safeties with better measurables and less production coming off the board before Jaquan. I expect a bunch of NFL execs to be kicking themselves in the *** for sleeping on Jaquan. I think there's plenty of evidence on film that he is a football player with the right mix of toughness, football IQ, and athletic ability to be great in the league.
I concur, but I doubt Quan has a Reed impact at the next level. I see more of a Patrick Chung type career. Very long, maybe a pro bowl or two. He's going to have an excellent career in the NFL

This columnist is a moron. Ed Reed the season before was going to be 1st or early 2nd round pick and decided to come back for his Senior year.
With all due respect, Roy Williams was far from a bust...a good NFL career...
But Ed Reed is on Mount Rushmore for Safeties with Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, etc

Advertisement
This article proves that NFL front office are absolutely terrible at player evaluations and drafting. It's almost comical with the resources available.

Problem with most evaluations is that they put too much emphasis on measurables like the 40 and vertical....Football is different than other sports because workout warriors sometimes dont like contact. A football player is forged with desire, hunger, and a willingness to never back down. Some dudes have it...others don't.

He is one of my three favorite players ever as a Cane.

Still, people get things wrong all of the time. Even the best in the business. In this case, 23 teams selected someone ahead of him. I doubt many if any had the career he had. That means the top scouts and brass passed on him.

I knew then that if I was picking an all-time Canes team, he would be my first defensive selection for the college game. I didn't know he would perform like he did in the NFL. Nobody did, not even him. I expected him to be very good, he surpassed that.

The ho-hum attitude about the pick is what kills me about the article. Anyone who writes for the public though has articles like this out there. I don't know the author, he may be good or bad, but man he missed this one.

Great thing about Ed that you can't often say is he was exactly as great in the NFL as he'd been in college. He always found the ball and made the play, even when he played against the best.

Advertisement
A guy like Ed wouldnt go hidden in todays world.........and someone did there homework cause he still was picked in the first round

Advertisement
This article proves that?
exactly my thoughts lol, one miss and it proves they know nothing. So last year they slurp Barkley and he turns out to be elite and there geniuses I guess now? (not directing this at u sands) Usually the experts get it right of course there are some misses but Reed still went round 1

Roy Williams was a solid player but was pretty one dimensional as an "in the box" safety. A lot of his accolades were due to him playing for the Cowboys.
Ed Reed is one of the greatest safeties of all time.

I’ll say Roy Williams career started going down as soon as they started calling horse collars.

He got it wrong - no big deal. It was great to read how the greatest safety to play in the NFL was so lightly regarded. He came to the perfect place at the perfect time. Just after Ray won a championship and he really knew what it took to win it. He then gift-wrapped all that knowledge and gave it to Ed who in turn cared for it and passed it on to others. That's the Miami way.

Advertisement
Roy Williams v. Ed Reed? I bet Jerry would like a do over with that pick. Hindsight is 20/20.

This columnist is a moron. Ed Reed the season before was going to be 1st or early 2nd round pick and decided to come back for his Senior year.
With all due respect, Roy Williams was far from a bust...a good NFL career...
But Ed Reed is on Mount Rushmore for Safeties with Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, etc

I’m not going to hate on Roy. Dude played, what, 8 seasons and made 5 pro bowls and has a rule named after him??! Lol. That’s not a bad return.

However, Ed was a complete difference maker. Roy was more of an in box safety. Ed literally was The Bounty Hunter for the entire secondary and could score it on any given moment. He was a true playmaker in every sense of that term. It’s no wonder ST tried to emulate that same behavior; he learned it from ER20.

His instincts and IQ as a football player is top 5 imo.

Not really. Plenty of teams above them could have drafted reed and didnt. When they had the chance, they did draft him.

According to article they wanted three other players who I think were all gone. If we assume they would have taken one of those, then luck indeed played in this. That said, Yeap they drafted him.

Advertisement
Back