Early thoughts on the Edouard commitment

Count me as more of a fan of the Fisch philosophy. A big guy with a big arm and let the surrounding cast make the plays. I was encouraged when I heard we were staying with the pro style but I just don't see it in the future.

Fisch really hasn't taken a "big guy with a big arm" though. He has taken guys who are average build for a QB with average to even slightly below average arm strength.However, It does seem that he has targeted guys who are more mechanically sound than other prospects.

Advertisement
How does everyone go from "baby jesus the future QB at the U" to "give Alin a year, he will beat him out."

I sure don't think or see "everyone" saying that. We're excited about the new guy, but Olsen's obviously a stud and I think Dewey will have a shot also.

Competition folks, its what made this program great in the past. You bring in talented players every year at the QB position.

Everyone should be glad that Olsen will not just be handed the job when Morris leaves.

There will never be another Harris situation where he is just given the job for four years.

Accuracy accuracy accuracy! I'll take that and football smarts over the big arm all day any day. I will say that I'm pumped to get this kid so early though. It really seems to give you a huge boost in recruiting to get a local stud QB with big leadership qualities to help headline a class. He seems to be that guy and more!

I think he is a great prospect, but surely does not have a cannon for an arm. Not yet at least. Now Morris has a cannon and I think he will do very well in the pro's.

Hi guys, something came to mind and I hadn't seen it mentioned- what affect, if any, does this have on Olsen?

What do you mean? Olsen comes this summer. He's a '13 kid. Edwards is a '14 kid.

I think what he's trying to say is what affect does this have on the starter at QB after Morris leaves. I'm high on Olsen, but i'm not going to lie. After watching Edouard's tape, I was pretty blown away. I think he has way more upside than Olsen. The dude looks like a younger RG3. A cannon of an arm and has good wheels. It'll be interesting to see if Edouard can challenge Olsen to be the starter at QB in 2014.

Advertisement
I think he is a great prospect, but surely does not have a cannon for an arm. Not yet at least. Now Morris has a cannon and I think he will do very well in the pro's.

Hi guys, something came to mind and I hadn't seen it mentioned- what affect, if any, does this have on Olsen?

What do you mean? Olsen comes this summer. He's a '13 kid. Edwards is a '14 kid.

I think what he's trying to say is what affect does this have on the starter at QB after Morris leaves. I'm high on Olsen, but i'm not going to lie. After watching Edouard's tape, I was pretty blown away. I think he has way more upside than Olsen. The dude looks like a younger RG3. A cannon of an arm and has good wheels. It'll be interesting to see if Edouard can challenge Olsen to be the starter at QB in 2014.

Everything I've read, as well as his tape, suggests to me he does. I thought Larry B said the kid can chuck it 70 yds. Am I wrong here?

Need QB depth.

Morris twists his ankle or what not, then Williams came in.

Jacory gets knocked the F out, so Morris goes in (but 1st S.W.!)

blah blah blah

May the best man win, and don't sleep on Williams starting his senior year.

Just comparing him to Morris, you might be right. I'm not sure if he can throw it that far or not. Just doesn't look like he has zip on the ball, but he is only a junior.

Everything I've read, as well as his tape, suggests to me he does. I thought Larry B said the kid can chuck it 70 yds. Am I wrong here?

Advertisement
Just comparing him to Morris, you might be right. I'm not sure if he can throw it that far or not. Just doesn't look like he has zip on the ball, but he is only a junior.

Many people were saying Teddy Bridgewater didn't have a lot of zip on his ball when he came out, but look at him now beating Florida for the sugar bowl

Many people were saying Teddy Bridgewater didn't have a lot of zip on his ball when he came out, but look at him now beating Florida for the sugar bowl

Him beating UF means nothing regarding his arm strength. Doesn't seem to have a lot of snap on the ball to me.

Geat accuracy, though.

Arm strength is overrated. It's a luxury,especially in the college game. accuracy and good decision making are far more important. Steve Walsh had no arm but was smart and accurate. No shortage of qb's with phenomenal arms who just weren't very good...Kyle
Wright anyone?

I actually liked the fisch system. Certainly wasn't perfect but I like balance, I formation, pro sets,etc. Get the ball to the playmakers.

Advertisement
Arm strength is overrated. It's a luxury,especially in the college game. accuracy and good decision making are far more important. Steve Walsh had no arm but was smart and accurate. No shortage of qb's with phenomenal arms who just weren't very good...Kyle
Wright anyone?

I actually liked the fisch system. Certainly wasn't perfect but I like balance, I formation, pro sets,etc. Get the ball to the playmakers.

Nothing wrong with your QB being a playmaker himself. Both with his arm and legs

Count me as more of a fan of the Fisch philosophy. A big guy with a big arm and let the surrounding cast make the plays. I was encouraged when I heard we were staying with the pro style but I just don't see it in the future.

Pro style is rapidly transitioning to the way Edouard plays qb and the skillset he plays it with.

This, look at the NFL and what offenses are doing with QB's like RG3 and Russell Wilson. Even R. Tannehill and A. Luck are mobile and can make things happen outside the pocket.

Wright anyone?

Michigan QB commit Shane Morris in this past class is who first comes to mind. Kid is going to disappoint alot of Wolverine fans IMO. Olsen's gonna ball out...just got that feelin.

Advertisement
Wright anyone?

Michigan QB commit Shane Morris in this past class is who first comes to mind. Kid is going to disappoint alot of Wolverine fans IMO. Olsen's gonna ball out...just got that feelin.

Everything I have seen of Morris, he just doesnt look like a good quarterback.

Wright anyone?

Everything I have seen of Morris, he just doesnt look like a good quarterback.

I agree. Alot of evaluators have to wipe themselves up after they catch a glimpse of his big arm though.

Everything I've seen of him screams bust. He is inaccurate and is slow with his reads.

Im not trying to dog Alin. But I think some of you guys are a little jaded since hes from south florida. I think you guys are forgetting Olsen is one of the top rated QBs in the country, not just the area he lives in. You guys aren't giving Olsen and Dewey enough credit, both Under Armour Game participants. How does everyone go from "baby jesus the future QB at the U" to "give Alin a year, he will beat him out." I'll take an elite pocket passer over a dual threat with "potential" any day. I'll be happy as **** if the kid resembles RG3, but i'll be amazed if he ever beats Olsen, or any other elite pocket passer we bring in.

Rule #2: New guy is always better than the old guy even when the old guy is very new.

I haven't seen Edourd's film yet... but as long as he is a pass first guy who can make the throws i'm good. I do not want someone like denard robinson running the show.

Advertisement
Back