Early Returns on Mario’s ‘22 Class…

Yeeesh. And these kids along with 2023 are the bright spot for this team. Shows how horrible we truly were and how bad we still are. Out of all of those kids listed, a total of 4-5 have panned out? ALMOST ALL of Mannys guys are bums except Kam, LT, and 20.

A lot of things have sucked this year, but none more than the amount of scrubs we roll out there every week.

You guys hype these scrubs up because y’all listen to DMoney and Pete say they are ballers,blah blah blah. Reality is that 90% of them sucked last year, 80% suck this year, and until we flip that number the wins don’t magically show up

Advertisement
Chris Graves not being able to play in this secondary is the most headscratching thing to me. Followed by Skinner who obviously can't block and his hands seem to have just disappeared once he arrived to Miami because he can't catch either.
Is Graves a fast, fluid-hipped corner who’s under 6’1”-2”? Because I don’t think they like those.

Skinner isn't going in on obvious passing downs because that's not how real football works. You don't reward kids by "throwing them a bone" when they're not doing the little things that's required of them (like blocking). Furthermore, this would tip off the defense.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of having talent like him sitting on the bench for the sake of having this "tough guy" identity on offense.

We currently have sooo much athleticism sitting on the pine while we have plodding a$s TE's on the field.
IMG_1608.gif

Is Graves a fast, fluid-hipped corner who’s under 6’1”-2”? Because I don’t think they like those.

Graves isn’t here because his family got upset his cousin was knucklehead. Not surprising Graves found a new home and Curtis is probably at some Mississippi JUCO

I never count that class that a HC has to bandage together last minute. I toss that one out the window but he found some good ones. I just hope our OL can block for 5-7 seconds a lot more, don’t think we can block ghosts though cause a ghost had a sack vs my giants and my U. Think that ghost is better than Bain

Advertisement
Skinner not getting snaps in obvious passing downs is ridiculous. The 2 TE’s in front of him have shown NOTHING as pass catchers. Offensive staff has been horrific personnel wise
I believe Skinner made a name for himself by dropping passes in practice. Even if not in the doghouse, that won't get you on the field.

Adding: Portal additions

Darrell Jackson: 27 tackles, 3 sacks in ‘22, transferred to FSU.

Caleb Johnson: Honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection by the league coaches before transferring to Miami. 48 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 FF in 10 games in ‘22. UDFA, currently on Steelers practice squad.

Mitchell Agude: Second-Team All Pac-12 in ‘21 before transferring to Miami. 39 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 FF. UDFA, currently on Lions practice squad.

Akeem Mesidor: Freshman All-American at WVU, numerous other accolades including multiple All Big-12 honors in ‘21 before transferring to Miami. 38 tackles, 7 sacks (5 of which came in two games), 1 FF in ‘22. Hurt this year, 5 tackles and 0 sacks in 1.5 games.

Johnathan Denis: Second-string OL, borderline unplayable.

Logan Sagapolu: Undersized, played sparingly in both seasons at Miami.

Jacob Lichtenstein: 5 career games at Miami, mostly plays in blowouts.

Darryl Porter Jr: Has developed into our #1 cover corner (not saying much, but still), 3 pass deflections but has yet to register an interception in two seasons.

Antonio Moultrie: Played in seven games, registered 14 tackles (including half a sack against Bethune). UDFA, currently on the Packers practice squad.

Henry Parrish: Hardworking change-of-pace back, ran for 617 yards on 131 carries and four TDs. Also caught 17 passes for 120 yards and 2 scores. Shares the load more in ‘23 and has taken a back seat at times, totaling 77 carries for 429 yards and 4 TDs while his usage in the passing game has decreased dramatically (8 receptions for 26 yards). In his last four contests, he’s carried the ball 35 times for only 138 yards (bulk of production was against weak comp.)

Frank Ladson: caught 27 passes for 298 yards and a TD in 2022, hasn’t recorded a stat in ‘23.
Not enough difference makers in that group.

Thanks. Not a bad class. The skinner doghouse is a huge mystery. I guess the kid is not broraid tUfF enough
Yup and probably too much speed and athleticism at his position. We are looking for the TE battling rams who run slow and miss key blocks or pass receptions at critical tines in the game.

Advertisement
IDK if I would call this Mario’s Class and attribute his development or how his classes look on this one. He had a month or two to salvage a class. The recruits he signed that were not apart of mannys class prior to him arriving have been solid.

The 23 class looks much better.

I never count that class that a HC has to bandage together last minute. I toss that one out the window but he found some good ones. I just hope our OL can block for 5-7 seconds a lot more, don’t think we can block ghosts though cause a ghost had a sack vs my giants and my U. Think that ghost is better than Bain
It’s fair but also appropriate @WeBallinBoyz bringing it up

I think earlier this year I was giving credit to Mario for finding a couple of the lower ranked guys in Cooper, Colbie etc so context is good

Chris Graves not being able to play in this secondary is the most headscratching thing to me. Followed by Skinner who obviously can't block and his hands seem to have just disappeared once he arrived to Miami because he can't catch either.
Graves issues weren’t as much on the field..talent was there, mental part and off field stuff.

Advertisement
Starters and Developing Stars or NFL players (4): Cooper, Young, Wes Bissanthe. McCoy also has looked great when he's played as the 6th OL, and will prob start next year.

Need more time (4) : Jaden Harris, Horton, Moten, Jacurri. All 4 have shown flashes but need more PT. Not sure what has happen with Moten, he looked great early on, but hasn't played much since.

Great Talent but Injuries (2) - Kelly & Citizen. Hopefully they can emerge in 2024

Overrated (4) - Moss, Skinner, and Markieth were three guys that bumped up our recruiting ranking. But we're starting to see that potentially none of the 3 have the body type/strength to play at a high P5 level. Rogers also was very small physically coming out of HS and blew out his ACL Senior year from what I remember

Not sure what happened with Graves, tons of talent and thought he'd be a stud. Seems to be playing more at Ole Miss

Our best players from this class seem to be Out of state or underrated guys, maybe a precursor to our 2024 class. 10 out of 15 who are either starter level or very good backups is real good for a small class. Need guys to keep developing

Last edited:
Advertisement
2022 Portal Class was very solid as well:

Starter/Impact Level (5): Porter Jr., Jackson (before Transferring), Parrish, Mesidor, Agude.

Solid Depth (2): Lichtenstein (has played well this year as a 3rd team DL rotation guy). Caleb Johnson

Got passed over by better players (4): Ladson, Sagapolu, Denis, Moultrie. Denis and Sagapolu were needed more last year before Mario brought in a real OL class

Again pretty solid - 7 out of 11 are impact starters or good caliber depth

Not sure what happened with Graves, tons of talent and thought he'd be a stud. Seems to be playing more at Ole Miss

This one is so mysterious to me…Position of need. And you force him out (assuming he was forced)…And keep Lichenstein and use slots on Anthony Campbell, keep Denis, keep Redding (or at least keep him and bring in Kirk for even more numbers at that position). I can live with bringing McCormick as an extra blocker, but obviously I didn't want him on the field this much.

Or Freeley? You had to have Freeley? He's a better prospect than Graves? E

If this thread says anything, it shows positives IMO that Mario and staff is above average or even great at identifying and landing good players and developing them.

Hopefully the trend continues, which it seems like it will -

I mean look at the 2023 class: We're seeing an even bigger jump in impact players/studs (Bain, Kiko, Lee, Francis, Cohen, Fletcher, Ajay Allen, Jaden Davis, Deen, Cloyd)

Other guys who are close: Ray Ray, Wayne, Emory, Chris Johnson, Damari, Riley Williams, Samson

Thats 17 guys already who are getting real PT and performing or have flashed

Advertisement
Back