EA Sports bringing back NCAA Football game

It depends on if you like Madden or not...

Because this game will basically be College Madden.

I’m not going to be overly critical about the first version because the game has been dormant 7-8 years, so of course it’s not going to be perfect out the gate, but just the fact they’re bringing it back is good enough for me.
I play the game because I like football, but its so incredibly evident on how little they care about the customer buying it.

Advertisement

I’m not going to be overly critical about the first version because the game has been dormant 7-8 years, so of course it’s not going to be perfect out the gate, but just the fact they’re bringing it back is good enough for me.
As long as the recruiting experience remains good, I will be satisfied.

EA used to be the gold standard of sports games. Til this day, I need my royalties for them jacking my ideas when they interviewed me & some other students on campus about how to improve Madden’s game play & visual!

I used to work down the street from their Playa location in L.A so I had a lot of clients from there. Basically, what my boy @Bender said, they’ve been asleep at the wheel. Look no further than Madden. We only play it b/c it’s the only game in town, but they’ve been slumming the game play since probably 2006. I wish 2K would get in this action. Regardless, I’m excited for NCAA sports to come back.

Advertisement

EA has the monopoly on football games. 2k was easily a better game until they enter back into simulation football we all just suffer.

EA has the monopoly on football games. 2k was easily a better game until they enter back into simulation football we all just suffer.

EA had a monopoly on all sports games at one point. I still remember the Live series, Triple Play, NHL, Madden, etc. They were all hot commodities, UNTIL all u saw were rinse, repeat efforts on the games. When 2K entered the b-ball arena, u saw a stark difference in Live & 2K. When MLB The Show came out, it obliterated Triple Play, later MVP baseball. I remember ppl were beginning to prefer 2K football over Madden, until EA entered an exclusively NFL licensing agreement to shut that door.

I’ve heard good things about their FIFA & NHL games though, but the efforts on Madden became like WWE efforts on Sports Entertainment once they monopolized wrestling.

Advertisement
Honestly, EA could just report ncaa 14 and rebrand it NCAA 23 and it would still be better than madden 22, and id likely unapologetically buy that iteration of it. NCAA franchise was always better than madden IMO (minus 2000-2005, those games were perfection back then)

They really don't need to out think themselves at all to have this be a big money launch for them. Majority of the consumer base will buy this game solely based off of nostalgia and the re-launch of the series anyways.

But they absolutely need to overhaul their physics engine. This bullshyt theyre using is absolute trash. I already know thats gonna be one of my biggest gripes next summer. Lawd help me if/ when the feature with the most effort put into it is NCAA ultimate team

Fifa ******* sucks. The glory days were from 11-15.

Figures, since I haven’t heard chit about that game since around that time frame. Smh.

They had FIFA tourneys like Madden tourneys in Nor Cal. My former colleague was involved in them, but that was literally back in 2014/2015, not too long after I moved up North.

My favorite thing about FIFA is the absolute ridiculous bugs in their physics meshing. Some of them players contort their bodies into unholy ways lmao
They followed the same path back then. Both games were almost entirely focused on physics and less on precalculated animations.

No coincidence that these games were the best. But Fifa back then already started to have that weird P2W feeling, not to mention their ridiculous secret "Momentum" system.

Advertisement
They followed the same path back then. Both games were almost entirely focused on physics and less on precalculated animations.

No coincidence that these games were the best. But Fifa back then already started to have that weird P2W feeling, not to mention their ridiculous secret "Momentum" system.
I havent played a fifa in ages...but if its momentum system is anything like madden's then I already hate it. That thing just forces plays to happen against you I feel like, regardless of how well you're defending or reading it

What I’m really hoping for is a revamping & return of the NCAA Basketball game.

That was my sh*t!!!! I used to love the College Basketball game, NCAA Basketball 10 on PS3 was 🔥🔥🔥AF!

The recruiting in that game was more difficult than NCAA Football, but it was lot more fun.

Yea they suck....need competition if not they won't improve the game. It will just be madden with college skins

It sucks because NCAA was always better than Madden on ps3/x360.

Hopefully they accidentally hire a better team.

I boycotted Madden years ago and whenever I search on it I see I made the right decisions.

I haven’t liked the mechanics of sports games for a long time. I quit 2k too. I’m tired of the developers locking you in stupid predetermined animations but thinking it’s ok because it looks good.

Advertisement

The DUB was always a great game...

But people forget how much tinkering the game needed to be great. I used to do a lot of roster editing back in the day with the big roster editors, used to do a lot of slider work with some of the slider project crew. I can say from personal experience over many incarnations of the game that there is no other major sports game that had the sheer volume of work put into it to actually make it a good, truly playable game. But...when it hit and you got the sliders right, got the roster and attributes right, edited the game as much as possible, it was truly an awesome game...but you had to de-Madden a lot of the game because that Madden engine stinks.

The first time reviews of NCAA23 or whatever it'll be called will be worthless. They won't tell you anything.

In the time since NCAA14...a lot of the game editors have learned how to fvck with EA's engines because they've ported it over to PC and done a lot of backdoor editing on the game...they did it with Madden, too, and have a better idea of how to make these games truly sim and fun...but it'll take a while to do it to a game that is, as you said old, dormant and defunct for a long while. I would wager that after like 8 months with the game, the dudes over on OS or reddit or wherever will have figured out the game and put together good sliders, rosters, and fix a lot of the bullsh!t.

I havent played a fifa in ages...but if its momentum system is anything like madden's then I already hate it. That thing just forces plays to happen against you I feel like, regardless of how well you're defending or reading it
I am gonna make a fairly lengthy post, because the momentum system in FIFA was worse. Way worse. Madden had limits to its system, FIFA didn't give a ****.

When you select two teams, you have ratings for offense, defense and overalls. Based on the gap between these ratings between the teams, a Handicap system would activate where the worse team gets leveled up and the better one gets leveled down. The problem was: FIFA made a horse**** attempt balancing it. You could play with a Second Division Bundesliga team and kick Brazils *** in no time. I played in a league back then and we actually tried the Handicap system out. It was brutal.

Now here comes the momentum system: During the game, depending on how much you led, the players ratings would be influenced heavily, meaning the players ratings were not the ones displayed on the screen. This caused outrage in numerous online games because a 4-0 lead could be evaporated in 5 minutes of in-game time.

The Handicap system was exposed in two instances. In Ultimate Team, usually at the end, FIFA gives out awards for the best players of the year and the season. Buying these players was pointless, they were incredibly high rated but the Handicap system not just nullified the effect, it made playing with them pointless.
The second instance was a spreadsheet published for Fifa 13 that exposed the momentum system and the rating changes within the code of the game by a fired employee. It pretty much spoilered what is now basic knowledge.

What I’m really hoping for is a revamping & return of the NCAA Basketball game.

That was my sh*t!!!! I used to love the College Basketball game, NCAA Basketball 10 on PS3 was 🔥🔥🔥AF!

The recruiting in that game was more difficult than NCAA Football, but it was lot more fun.
Perhaps the greatest sports game of all time...

51rnlr0ccRL._SY445_.jpg

The sim depth of OOTP Baseball, the gameplay of NBA 2K series, the presentation that still remains unrivaled in sports (Gumble/Kellogg in studio stuff was incredible and still hasn't been replicated in a sports game)...flawless game, IMO.

Perhaps the greatest sports game of all time...

51rnlr0ccRL._SY445_.jpg

The sim depth of OOTP Baseball, the gameplay of NBA 2K series, the presentation that still remains unrivaled in sports (Gumble/Kellogg in studio stuff was incredible and still hasn't been replicated in a sports game)...flawless game, IMO.
I had 2K7 with JJ Redick on the cover for PS3, I never got 2K8...

I got NCAA March Madness 08 instead with Kevin Durant on the cover.

Then for 09 & 2010 they dropped the March Madness titles & just called it NCAA Basketball.

Kevin Love at UCLA was on the 09 cover & Blake Griffin on the NCAA10 cover.

10 was my favorite one, because while the actual gameplay wasn’t necessarily top tier, but it was the volume of everything you could do in Dynasty mode from scheduling to recruiting etc.. & it was the most realistic IMO with the in game broadcasting as well.

Advertisement
Back