Dylan Joyce - Props to him as well

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
Something I haven’t seen discussed is Dylan Joyce, our new Aussie punter.

True Freshman, new to American football, first big game… the very first time he touched the ball, it was a jailbreak punt block and they got home. He must have felt like garbage to let the team down in this way, going down 0-7.

What does ol’ boy do? Gets right back on that field for a fuccin 51 yard punt, inside the 20, and later in the game a 45 yard punt, also inside the 20.

Stone cold. No shanks, muffs or any of the other things you’d expect from someone in this sort of moment. Like the rest of the team, he got punched and punched back.

Welcome to the U, Dylan.

Advertisement
Something I haven’t seen discussed is Dylan Joyce, our new Aussie punter.

True Freshman, new to American football, first big game… the very first time he touched the ball, it was a jailbreak punt block and they got home. He must have felt like garbage to let the team down in this way, going down 0-7.

What does ol’ boy do? Gets right back on that field for a fuccin 51 yard punt, inside the 20, and later in the game a 45 yard punt, also inside the 20.

Stone cold. No shanks, muffs or any of the other things you’d expect from someone in this sort of moment. Like the rest of the team, he got punched and punched back.

Welcome to the U, Dylan.
Yes, but... when you see them overloading their left side (our punter's rright side) Joyce needs to be prepared to just kick it and not take a bunch of steps to the right before kicking.

Yes, but... when you see them overloading their left side (our punter's rright side) Joyce needs to be prepared to just kick it and not take a bunch of steps to the right before kicking.
Of course. That’s obvious, but not to a brand new kicker.

In the moment, you overlook some of the most simple things. He will adapt and adjust.

If you’ve never punted, it’s basically what a punt returner feels but in reverse (I’ve done both). You have a very short window of time to catch the ball, take a step forward, ignore very large and motivated opposing football players gunning right for you and get the kick off, hopefully without getting your head knocked in or your leg snapped in two.

He will get better, experience will fix that mistake. What’s in his veins cannot be taught.

Advertisement
I literally missed almost the entire first half, so most of this thread. Stupid weather delay with ND switched over. I would've gone ballistic if I hadn't known that and come home expecting to see it all. He looks the part so far for sure.

Advertisement

Attachments

• the-waterboy-the.gif
    the-waterboy-the.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I literally missed almost the entire first half, so most of this thread. Stupid weather delay with ND switched over. I would've gone ballistic if I hadn't known that and come home expecting to see it all. He looks the part so far for sure.
Are you just anti-streaming? I hate it myself but in a pinch there are some places that are minimum aggravation to watch the game for free while you wait for tv

Advertisement
Are you just anti-streaming? I hate it myself but in a pinch there are some places that are minimum aggravation to watch the game for free while you wait for tv

We have most actually as well. Paramount, Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Max, and Peacock. DTV for main watching by me at least. I may be forgetting something, but **** we pay a lot for all that crap.

YouTubeTV, I use a friends/coworkers YouTubeTV login for when we're on the ACC network as a backup. Even that only started at 16 to 14, but that could be the time I asked about it.

He’s also kicking with good hang time and direction. Our punt coverage has been really good so far. As we saw Saturday, specials is a huge part of the game. It’s not always blocked punts and muffed returns; hidden yards can really be the difference in a scoring drive sometimes.

Advertisement
We have most actually as well. Paramount, Disney, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Max, and Peacock. DTV for main watching by me at least. I may be forgetting something, but **** we pay a lot for all that crap.

YouTubeTV, I use a friends/coworkers YouTubeTV login for when we're on the ACC network as a backup. Even that only started at 16 to 14, but that could be the time I asked about it.
Well I guess I was asking why you missed the entire first half

There’s always an option these days even if you have to go a free website

Bingo.

I like the way the kid responded as well, but if he wasn’t coached up to take fewer steps or get out hard quick in order to get his steps in when he is inside of the 10, then that is pretty sad.

I would imagine he was coached up but was just too concerned about making a mistake down there and went through a standard full routine, which is just too much down there in the face of that heat.

Well I guess I was asking why you missed the entire first half

There’s always an option these days even if you have to go a free website

My day started at 5:15 AM and I got home about 11 PM. Figured close game at the half (17-14) where I could start watching it, I can make it through the rest of the game. Barely made it, was nodding off when Kam got injured and that woke me completely up. Crashed within 5 minutes of the game being over.

Advertisement
Back