Dwayne Lawson ESPN's Player of the Week

Unfortunately I dont think he gets to shirt next year unless they find another Heaps. I think he will run away with the backup job, especially if he can EE. I hope they find a package for him like Cutcliffe did with Connette, and really just kill people on short yardage downs.

Look at me having all this optimism. I need to go find a kid to kick. Lawson looks like a ****in stud, can't believe he isn't getting more pub.

Unless Kaaya goes down he will be red shirted. If we need to put a back up in because they want to give Kaaya a break, they will go with Rosier before him.

This. Agreed.

I also believe Rosier future is in baseball. But next year smart money is... Redshirt Lawson regardless if he is the more talented for 2nd string and save that extra year for him and have Rosier back up Kaaya. Only take off Lawson shirt if it's necessary.

I also expect Allison to get a shirt too. It's smart. You wanna redshirt your QBs so they can develop. We got lucky with Kaaya, not all true freshman qbs are supposed to do what he's been doing.

I doubt we are able to shirt Lawson. It isn't about wanting to or not. We just don't have enough Qb's on the roster other than Kaaya and Rosier (Crow doesn't count). We need 3 Qb's minimum, and if Lawson wins the backup job this spring/summer, he Definitely will not be getting shirted unless we get another transfer, who earns the backup spot. If he is the 3rd string guy, then yeah, you shirt him, but not if he wins the 2nd string job.

So I predict Lawson doesn't redshirt, and Allison will. Then Lawson would be a Junior and Allison would only be a RS Frosh for Kaaya's Senior season (unless he leaves as Junior). If Kaaya left early, Lawson could be the starter for 2 yrs, and Allison for the next 2 yrs.
It's the Return of QB U...Hopefully...

Advertisement
Unfortunately I dont think he gets to shirt next year unless they find another Heaps. I think he will run away with the backup job, especially if he can EE. I hope they find a package for him like Cutcliffe did with Connette, and really just kill people on short yardage downs.

Look at me having all this optimism. I need to go find a kid to kick. Lawson looks like a ****in stud, can't believe he isn't getting more pub.

Unless Kaaya goes down he will be red shirted. If we need to put a back up in because they want to give Kaaya a break, they will go with Rosier before him.

This. Agreed.

I also believe Rosier future is in baseball. But next year smart money is... Redshirt Lawson regardless if he is the more talented for 2nd string and save that extra year for him and have Rosier back up Kaaya. Only take off Lawson shirt if it's necessary.

I also expect Allison to get a shirt too. It's smart. You wanna redshirt your QBs so they can develop. We got lucky with Kaaya, not all true freshman qbs are supposed to do what he's been doing.

I doubt we are able to shirt Lawson. It isn't about wanting to or not. We just don't have enough Qb's on the roster other than Kaaya and Rosier (Crow doesn't count). We need 3 Qb's minimum, and if Lawson wins the backup job this spring/summer, he Definitely will not be getting shirted unless we get another transfer, who earns the backup spot. If he is the 3rd string guy, then yeah, you shirt him, but not if he wins the 2nd string job.

So I predict Lawson doesn't redshirt, and Allison will. Then Lawson would be a Junior and Allison would only be a RS Frosh for Kaaya's Senior season (unless he leaves as Junior). If Kaaya left early, Lawson could be the starter for 2 yrs, and Allison for the next 2 yrs.

You don't know football stick with school you're not an athlete so you're out of your depth.
He'll redshirt guaranteed they can list him as the starting qb but if he never plays he's gonna be shirted.

Play the entire season with 2 qbs where in the rule book does it say we have to have 3 Qb's? No need to waste a year
Nobody is unseating Brad so kid worst case will have 2 years to start if Brad leaves early even more time. But these coaches would be stupid to not redshirt this kid he's gonna be a beast.

This. Agreed.

For futures sake we should redshirt Lawson for development purposes. He could really use that year in the weight room and learn the playbook over that year.

I know Crow doesn't really count, but we should redshirt Lawson for development purposes unless Kaaya goes down. Have Rosier back up Kaaya next year.

That's the way I see it. Save him unless he's really needed. God forbid Kaaya goes down with a bad injury, then take Lawson shirt.

We would be throwing away a year of Lawson for nothing if we were to keep him as 2nd string next year as long as Kaaya is healthy. The smart move is to redshirt Lawson.

I do believe Lawson is talented enough to back up Kaaya next year. But we should be stacking chips. Redshirt Lawson next year and following year follow suit with Allison. Both will benefit a lot from it. And let the best man whenever it is Kaaya leaves junior or senior year. Even though I'm leaning towards... Kaaya leaves as a junior as long as he continues to progress which I'm sure he will.

It's also why I believe we will be redshirting one of the 3 backs next year in Scarlett, Williams and Walton. Which I am expecting Walton as he is not as physically developed as Scarlett and Williams yet at about 185,(Scarlett 210, Williams 195-200 right now) are and is also the youngest of those 3.

We gotta stack chips. We gotta get to the point where we are not playing so many freshman every year. Only the ones that are physically and ready and that HAVE to contribute should.

Advertisement
Advertisement
With Kaaya looking solid for the next two years, Lawson and the kid from 2016 should be able to take shirts and battle it out when Kaaya goes to NFL after junior year. I like Lawson. He does not seem to be thinking run all the time.

He is going to be special here... Like NO other we've ever had with his running attributes! We will begin to have run option packages and will become an extremely potent offense...!!!

It's not what our offense is about. A pro style has always been a big part of the pipeline to the NFL. I don't see a huge arm either but he looks like he'd be a beast at wide out.

Just an opinion. No disrespect.

This. Agreed.

You don't know football stick with school you're not an athlete so you're out of your depth.
He'll redshirt guaranteed they can list him as the starting qb but if he never plays he's gonna be shirted.

Play the entire season with 2 qbs where in the rule book does it say we have to have 3 Qb's? No need to waste a year
Nobody is unseating Brad so kid worst case will have 2 years to start if Brad leaves early even more time. But these coaches would be stupid to not redshirt this kid he's gonna be a beast.

Yes we give an effort to shirt him, and don't play him in blowout games, but if he wins the backup job, and Kaaya goes down, I'd be willing to bet my life that he plays.
I'm not saying we're required to have 3. I'm saying it's something we should have. If Kaaya goes down, I want the best player to come in, and I think that'll be Lawson. It really isn't wasting a year either if we end up needing him, or if he gets valuable experience. So we can shirt him, but if at anypoint Kaaya goes down, we burn that redshirt without a doubt IMO. (thats more what I was trying to say anyway)

It's also why I believe we will be redshirting one of the 3 backs next year in Scarlett, Williams and Walton. Which I am expecting Walton as he is not as physically developed as Scarlett and Williams yet at about 185,(Scarlett 210, Williams 195-200 right now) are and is also the youngest of those 3.

We gotta stack chips. We gotta get to the point where we are not playing so many freshman every year. Only the ones that are physically and ready and that HAVE to contribute should.

Not even similar situation though. We are going to be completely loaded at RB for the next few years. At QB, if our starter goes down, we're kinda screwed. I guess the best way to put this is, Technically we will be red-shirting Lawson. He won't play in the blowout wins, or anything like that. But we will treat him as the 2nd string QB (assuming he wins job), and if Kaaya goes down he comes in without hesitation (unless we already have the game in the bag).
But yeah, RB we will have Yearby, Edwards, Chocolate, and the guys coming in this year. Plus I honestly think theres about a 30-40% chance Duke comes back (I don't think he should). So, yeah, I'd be surprised if someone wasn't redshirted (prob Walton), and I'd also be surprised if Gray didn't switch positions or something.

Not even similar situation though. We are going to be completely loaded at RB for the next few years. At QB, if our starter goes down, we're kinda screwed. I guess the best way to put this is, Technically we will be red-shirting Lawson. He won't play in the blowout wins, or anything like that. But we will treat him as the 2nd string QB (assuming he wins job), and if Kaaya goes down he comes in without hesitation (unless we already have the game in the bag).
But yeah, RB we will have Yearby, Edwards, Chocolate, and the guys coming in this year. Plus I honestly think theres about a 30-40% chance Duke comes back (I don't think he should). So, yeah, I'd be surprised if someone wasn't redshirted (prob Walton), and I'd also be surprised if Gray didn't switch positions or something.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I think Lawson should be the 2nd string at QB next year, but saving an extra year and letting him learn from Kaaya and call in the plays and develop and develop in the weight room is another key. If Kaaya goes down, I want Lawson to come in. If it's garbage time, Rosier. I do think Rosier upside is more towards baseball but we shall see, he could surprise us, I don't put anything past Coach Coley at this point when it comes to QB's..... Kaaya, Lawson, Allison. Coach Coley picked out Rosier too, we shall see.

In the back of my mind, sometimes I think Duke might come back but he's having a phenomenal year. He might end up finishing the degree. But at heart he's a true Cane. We'll see, but I think he leaves.

I also do think Gray moves to receiver. Not because of talent. He can make it as a RB but he is a more natural fit at WR. His body looks more like of a WR too when I have seen him this year compared to a RB.

And someone has to be taking a shirt from who's coming in. I explained the reasons why for Walton... But also. Scarlett is the oldest and most physically developed. Williams is very versatile and comes in the spring. Walton is just as good as them, but he is behind the 8 ball, being the youngest and not as physically developed as the other two just yet, but he will be after a year in the weight room.

Now if Duke comes back, I expect 2 to be shirted.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back