Dwayne Haskins Killed in South Florida

I’ve always been scared of driving in England for the reason that I would mix up making a right turn, which we make with little thought over here with how it is in England which requires engaging traffic in both directions.
We have a family friend who died from exactly this. Mother and father in the front were killed instantly after being hit by a bus while turning right without visually engaging traffic in both directions. The son in the backseat didn’t have a scratch.

Wow that’s really sad. But I could see how it would happen. I spent about a couple of weeks over there and I rented a car, the main thing is you constantly have to keep reminding yourself about left and right the other thing is, your sense proximity to the left or right is all shot to ****.

Let’s say you’re 46 years old, and just to make it simple, let’s say you started driving when you were 16. That’s a whopping 30 years developing habits where the distance between your left shoulder and the left edge of the road or the car next to you can sometimes literally be inches.

Now slide over about 3 feet to the other side of the car and put the steering wheel over there. What you used to do before without even thinking, now you have to constantly be mentally measuring the distance between your left side, and obstacles. It’s a total cluster fūck.

I got through by never relaxing while I was driving. It just took a lot more mental focus and you really can’t fidget around with the controls or anything you just have to be totally focused.

Honestly the worst part is that once you get outside the bigger cities, and you go to the really beautiful villages like you see in movies, the roads are so narrow that two cars can barely fit through going in each direction, those back roads are insane. You better have your head on a swivel .

Advertisement
That’s one look at the stats, and in all those categories it looked like Florida was around 9th. I guess I should just change my post to not in the top eight. That might make you a little happier.

But keep in mind there are other sources for statistics, including the the sources I referenced, that place it outside the top 10 in those categories I mentioned.

There’s no doubt Florida has a high accident/fatality numbers and rate. But considering it’s third in population in the US, with heavily congested metropolitan areas, some really ****** roads especially in those metropolitan areas, you have to take that into account.

Anyway I don’t want to get into a ****ing contest about this. Thanks for playing.

Looking at this, the first thing that comes to mind is all those states listed have huge rural areas.

Are these stats just of people dying at the scene? Because these places are just populated enough to have more accidents, but rural enough for people to die due to long transit times for emergency services to arrive on scene or to the nearest hospital.

Orlando has led the State in vehicular Accidents and Deaths since forever....The entire State is a Death trap....
Screenshot_20220410-153356_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Advertisement
Looking at this, the first thing that comes to mind is all those states listed have huge rural areas.

Are these stats just of people dying at the scene? Because these places are just populated enough to have more accidents, but rural enough for people to die due to long transit times for emergency services to arrive on scene or to the nearest hospital.

I looked at a lot of different data from different sources, including the CDC, and while Florida is no picnic, it’s just not a top eight/top 10 type state in terms of per population/miles driven overall driving accidents/fatalities. What you said is possibly a factor I don’t know though. For example, I’d rather have an accident that puts me in critical condition in the middle of Broward or Dade, than halfway across alligator alley. That only makes sense .

As someone who has lived for many years in both South Florida and NYC, allow me to chime in here. South Florida drivers are clearly worse because there is less traffic and cars can actually go 80, 90mph. It’s very hard to be able to do that in NYC given the traffic and the weather for part of the year.

Second, the roads in NYC rival those of your average Afghanistan village. Potholes, poorly paved roads, and lights every 20 feet make it nearly impossible to speed here like you can in FL.

Has it been confirmed Haskins was crossing the several lanes on 595 when he got hit? As opposed to, say, getting hit on the shoulder? If so, WTF was he thinking? It’s like my old coach used to preach before games, “If you can’t evade pressure in the pocket, you can’t evade cars on the highway.”

I will trump your Buenos Aires with Mumbai, India. No lanes and barely even sides of the road. Cars just fit in where they can and stay on their horms constantly.
Probably a lot like Buenos Aires though I’ve never been.
The motorcycles are the part that get me. Not only do the cars go 5 wide in 3 lanes, youve got the weavers in between.

The funny thing is, smaller cities in Argentina have far more calm driving.

While I agree (and I don’t condone either) these guys are actually pretty skilled. Takeovers are just clowns doing donuts

100% agree. Lol. They actually have two side shows by me & all I hear is foolishness. The irony of my disdain for it is, I used to be apart of that stupid ish back in the day, & some say I’m responsible for a side show area that’s now LA/Compton b/c me & my boys were doing stupid ish like racing, ghost riding, donuts, sound checks, & drifting in this unincorporated part that was hardly patrolled or inhabited. All my idea, & 3 months later, it became a main area for side shows & heavy police presence. Smh.

Advertisement
The motorcycles are the part that get me. Not only do the cars go 5 wide in 3 lanes, youve got the weavers in between.

The funny thing is, smaller cities in Argentina have far more calm driving.
The motorcycles where the father is driving and the mother and 3 kids are loaded on the back.
i was born in Mumbai so I get to make all these comments without repercussion, right?

Lots of rumors out there right now.

Let’s wait for the official report.

I’ve seen anything from suicide to he ran out of gas..

Advertisement
Lots of rumors out there right now.

Let’s wait for the official report.

I’ve seen anything from suicide to he ran out of gas..

Something isnt right.

How does a world class athlete get struck by a dump truck he could see from a mile away with no traffic at 0630?

Something smells very foul and tragic.

Yep. Sounds almost like a suicide.

Usually we’d have seen all the background on the driver, details on “oh he was running to get gas”…plus at 6:30 AM, you can safely cross.

And he’s not driving a car that breaks down

Advertisement
Yep. Sounds almost like a suicide.

Usually we’d have seen all the background on the driver, details on “oh he was running to get gas”…plus at 6:30 AM, you can safely cross.

And he’s not driving a car that breaks down

A trainer at a gym I used to work out at killed himself by walking onto a tractor trailer that was coming around Highway 50 exit ramp in Maryland. I didn't know him well but from outside looking in he appeared to be a very popular dude. Big strong fella from the Carribbean who played rugby and had a beautiful wife and kids. He parked his vehicle at end of exit ramp and casually walked up the ramp onto incoming traffic. Crazy sht. Stuff happens, unfortunately.

I’ve always been scared of driving in England for the reason that I would mix up making a right turn, which we make with little thought over here with how it is in England which requires engaging traffic in both directions.
We have a family friend who died from exactly this. Mother and father in the front were killed instantly after being hit by a bus while turning right without visually engaging traffic in both directions. The son in the backseat didn’t have a scratch.
I hate driving in England.

The drivers are actually pretty considerate in my opinion.

But you can't just look up directions: 300 steps involve "at the roundabout." The narration is impossible.

Advertisement
Back