During times like these I miss the old Grassy chat

I believe I used to have to use dial up internet to log onto Grassy.

Miami nights? Not sure if I got that screen name right.? Dude would fight with anyone at the drop of a dime. Grassy was awesome!

I also remember being on AOL’s Hurricanes Message Boards. It was bush league compared to Grassy but there weren’t any Mods on AOL so it was like the Wild Wild West.No rules!
Grassy was also a bit loose in the beginning and through 2000. You used to be able to post under any screen name you wanted.

Remember back in the off season before the 2000 season when we got that secondary logo of the Ibis? It was referred to as "Ibis in a blender" or simply "Da Klam" It was hysterically funny and took on a life of its own. There were all these hilarious but classic threads like "Da Klam Lifestyle" and there was one poster who temporarily changed his name to Klamalama Dingdong and the entire board was trying to figure out who it was for over a week lol. Those were good times man. Really good times.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Canesforever is not on this board. He’s fairly disenchanted with the program at the moment. Not optimistic with the state of the program. He’s not spending money on traveling games or invested like he used to be. That would/could all change if Mario gets out of his own way we start showing we can win and compete.

I found grassy or my first canes message board in late ‘96. It was dial up lol.

Advertisement
Grassy, even in it's best day, wasn't near as good as this place on its worst day. Grassy has some roots to this place, but not for a second do I regret anything about Grassy burning as Nero fiddled.
Reapectfully disagree.

It was the age before blatant internet trolls and idiots with online schticks.

Good times.

Another great Canes fan and guy has passed away.

Canesforever is not on this board. He’s fairly disenchanted with the program at the moment. Not optimistic with the state of the program. He’s not spending money on traveling games or invested like he used to be. That would/could all change if Mario gets out of his own way we start showing we can win and compete.

Yep, there used to be about 20-30 of us in that dial up chat room where Mike would give us recruiting nuggets.

Advertisement
Grassy was also a bit loose in the beginning and through 2000. You used to be able to post under any screen name you wanted.

Remember back in the off season before the 2000 season when we got that secondary logo of the Ibis? It was referred to as "Ibis in a blender" or simply "Da Klam" It was hysterically funny and took on a life of its own. There was all these hilarious but classic threads like "Da Klam Lifestyle" and there was one poster who temporarily changed his name to Klamalama Dingdong and the entire board was trying to figure out who it was for over a week lol. Those were good times man. Really good times.
Let's just lay it out there. It was great until the progressive moderators took over the message boards. It was a foreshadowing of the woke culture that was coming.

Whatever happened to the following....

RickySixx
CiminoUM5
DeisCane
CanesForever
RaisinCane (I'm worried about our chances tell me we will roll. Plus the Hot or Not pics)

PhillyCane
MiamiMitch
SpiderCane
Dynasty
SniffCaneDeLaHora(Or something like that)
CaneBill
StormSurge
TheSwagger
MiamiJoe
DeisCane. Was he the guy out in Vegas?

Advertisement

Do me a favor and tell him that I said hi. Wish him a Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year for me as well. Also if you could troll him by telling him that Shannon Dawson has moved on and that The Cleveland Steamer will be taking his place. When he looks at you like you are full of chit, tell him yep The Cleveland Steamer AKA Rob Seventeenski will be our new OC. Then tell him that coach Addae has moved on as well and that we decided to bring in Marcus "The Pad" Maxey to coach CBs. LOL

Last edited:
DeisCane. Was he the guy out in Vegas?
Not sure about that but maybe. Was always curious what that screen name meant. He was the guy who was always referencing *****. He would say stuff like he hates the FSU tomahawk chop because he said it reminded him of ***** and stuff like that. He was a cool cat most of the time but he could get a bit defensive and a bit preachy sometimes. Wonder what happened to him.

Don't get me started on that goofball! He started what amounted to a Chef Cane cult where all his brainwashed minions would genuflect before him and treat everything he posted as gospel. It was the "Thanks Chef" crowd LOL. A total fraud!

He was dating a woman who was one of the assistants at the Hecht. Made him think he was the ultimate insider.

I think people outed him when he said he was flying to a canes game on RandomWalk’s plane …. Only to have random walk basically say he’d never met the guy

Advertisement
Yep, there used to be about 20-30 of us in that dial up chat room where Mike would give us recruiting nuggets.
Yep I was in there too. I remember Mike asking me to give him a ride to the Marriot in downtown Orlando. It was the Summer of 2000 and Butch Davis was on one of those speaking tours across the state. A bunch of media was there and it was a great time. I asked Butch a question during the Q&A but I forget exactly what I asked him lol. Cool thing about Butch was that I had run into him while visiting the UM campus in 95 and we both said hello and when I had the opportunity to talk to him after his speech in 2000 five years later, he recognized me. The guy actually remembered me. Amazing! No wonder he was such a great recruiter.

Yep I was in there too. I remember Mike asking me to give him a ride to the Marriot in downtown Orlando. It was the Summer of 2000 and Butch Davis was on one of those speaking tours across the state. A bunch of media was there and it was a great time. I asked Butch a question during the Q&A but I forget exactly what I asked him lol. Cool thing about Butch was that I had run into him while visiting the UM campus in 95 and we both said hello and when I had the opportunity to talk to him after his speech in 2000 five years later, he recognized me. The guy actually remembered me. Amazing! No wonder he was such a great recruiter.
I was at that speech in Orlando.

By the way, on the topic of RandomWalk:

k9cane and I shared this a couple years ago, but I remember my father pointing him out to me at a game once, it was during the later part of the Randy Shannon days. He said:, "that's the random walk guy from the grassy site!” Apparently, Paul Dee (who was a UM law school friend of my uncle’s), knew who RW was and pointed him out to he and my dad one time, but never mentioned his name. (I didn’t know Paul even knew about Grassy, but apparently, Randy had a bunch of folks watching the message boards).

RW was standing there with some woman who looked she used to be a bond girl. i am driving home afterwards, and by ridiculous coincidence we see the woman in the back of this black range rover, heading north on 95. they turn off at the boca raton airport next to FAU, so on a lark, I follow them with my dad asking "WTF?" .... they pull into the parking lot at Signature Flight, jump out, and we see them walk into the building and then a few minutes later catch a glimpse of them behind the chain link fence walking to this gulfstream (??) jet parked in view.

never figured out his name, or saw him at a 'canes game ever again.

My dad and I laughed about it for years after because we said it was like chasing kaiser soze out of the police station in the last scene of The Usual Suspects.

:LOL:

Advertisement
Back