Durand is playing for the Jamaican national team

Also I fully understand FIBA's logic as I said numerous times. They want more money. Duh no **** they want better basketball, they dont care if they exclude all the citizens of the actual county to have better, american players take their spot. Whats the point of "representing your country" if people just play as free agents? May as well call it Team McDonalds All Stars vs Team Nike Ballers like AAU instead of USA vs Croatia or something.

Advertisement
Durand's lineage links him to Jamaica. Plenty of this folks in the US are 100% American citizens, but still have roots via either immediate or at least close family in other countries. Some of them are pro athletes. If he can't represent the USA on our men's national team, then more power to him if he wants to represent another country that is part of his background and roots. It's not your call, and the more you whine about it, the more you look like an idiot.

You're a mope that's just complaining for the sake of complaining. Kick rocks.

Durand's lineage links him to Jamaica. Plenty of this folks in the US are 100% American citizens, but still have roots via either immediate or at least close family in other countries. Some of them are pro athletes. If he can't represent the USA on our men's national team, then more power to him if he wants to represent another country that is part of his background and roots. It's not your call, and the more you whine about it, the more you look like an idiot.

ya dude is FAR GONE.....

The fact that he said "If you dont like Americans, leave America"....was all i needed to know.

So because Scott is playing for Jamaica he must dont like America?.... Then the reggae argument....Ok let me explain...Jamaicans/ and some other caribbean islands call the U.S/Canada/Britain......"foreign"...so if there is a concert and the acts on the stage are american...they will call them a "Foreign" act. Not like the guy/people are foreigners flat out...Its just their term.

This is kinda funny to me....like dude u never heard of DUAL CITIZENSHIP?...

ya dude is FAR GONE.....

The fact that he said "If you dont like Americans, leave America"....was all i needed to know.

So because Scott is playing for Jamaica he must dont like America?.... Then the reggae argument....Ok let me explain...Jamaicans/ and some other caribbean islands call the U.S/Canada/Britain......"foreign"...so if there is a concert and the acts on the stage are american...they will call them a "Foreign" act. Not like the guy/people are foreigners flat out...Its just their term.

This is kinda funny to me....like dude u never heard of DUAL CITIZENSHIP?...

There's this thing called reading comprehension. I'm talking to BWCD when I say if you don't like Americans, because he's acting like its somehow bad to be "'MERICAN". I never said anything about Scott not liking american.

You don't have to educate me on what the jamaicans at the concert are talking about. I know exactly they are calling US people foreign. Just because thats what they do doesn't mean its correct. You are the one that is FAR GONE because anyone I ever said that to we laughed about it and then gave each other **** with a laugh during the show.

This guy BWCD that decided he wanted to take it further by trying to insinuate I'm racist redneck with his Merica comment.

Man its some stupid *** people on this board who can't read I see which is why i usually just reading the news content.

Advertisement
You guys are right, International Competition was designed for AAU style teams to be formed so it can be more competative... Thats why the Nations name is on the jersey...

They are not free agents, they have to have a link to the country. I can't represent Jamaica, but I can represent the US (obviously) as well as Israel and under FIFA (not sure about FIBA) laws, Austria too. This is the world we live in now, there are very few people in any country who can trace their lineage back thousands of years to that same country, and it's playing out in international sports.

You can't just randomly pick a country like you can a club team or an AAU team (the "argument" you keep using).

It's also not turning your back on a country if it was never going to give you the opportunity to play internationally. There was nothing for him to choose.

Notsince, thats kinda my point. Everyone here in the USA can trace their lineage somewhere else. They don't have to go back much further than a couple hundred years at the LONGEST. Just seems like you ought to play for the current country you are from though. Isn't the point of international competitions where its country vs country supposed to find out which country has the best team? If it isn't it, there's no point of even calling it competition between countries.

I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion that clearly has nothing to do with race or not liking people from other countries, without it being insinuated that I'm some red neck racist.

If LeBron moved to China, stayed there forever and had 2 kids there that were born and grew up there I would think it was weird if his kids came here and played for Team USA too. The international bodies don't care anything for athletes, only about the $$$'s. Why else would they push out people who are actually born, raised, residents of those countries in order to just get a better product on the court to sell? If you think the INT'L sports bodies care about anything more than $$$, including the athletes, you should ask some amateur athletes if they agree with that opinion. Everything I have ever read my entire life from them tells a different story.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Every story is different though. There are a couple of US soccer players, Jermaine Jones, Timmy Chandler, Fabian Johnson, John Anthony-Brooks, Danny Williams, Terrence Boyd. By their names, and their looks, they're your average American.

154.jpg

Jones

But, they all were born in Germany. They all have a German mother and an African-American father who was stationed with the US Army in Germany. They were all born American citizens. Jones lived in the US for a couple of years, but was raised in Germany. The rest were all raised exclusively in Germany. They all are American citizens from birth and all play for (or have played for) the US Men's National Team. They all have their own stories about their connections to the US. Many feel more American than German even though they never lived in the US. They've said in interviews they walk down the street in Germany and people look at them and know they're "different." In the US, that doesn't happen. Terrence Boyd has more love for the US than most Americans I've met. Here is his new tattoo

155.jpg

And he has a giant American flag on the wall of his apartment in Vienna where he plays professional soccer.

My point? You don't know if these guys feel a connection to the country they represent. You don't know if they're doing it for money (by the way there is very little if any money paid for representing a country) or if they also feel pride for the country their parents are from too.

Last edited:
I appreciate your supremely informative and knowledgeable post. That's another perspective to take into account. By the way I don't think any of these players are in it for the money,just the organizations that run the competitions.

I appreciate your supremely informative and knowledgeable post. That's another perspective to take into account. By the way I don't think any of these players are in it for the money,just the organizations that run the competitions.

I'm not disagreeing with you there

This guy BWCD that decided he wanted to take it further by trying to insinuate I'm racist redneck with his Merica comment.
I wouldn't have had room to insinuate it if you hadn't said things that made you sound like that. Maybe you need to think more before you speak/post.

Besides, I honestly meant zero offense, and was making a joke. I apologize that you took offense, but I didn't paint you any certain way...the things you posted made you look that way. I simply tried to point that out in a humorous manner. If you can't see that, it's on you.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back