Durand is playing for the Jamaican national team

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Congrats Durand!

1.jpeg

Advertisement
^^^ dude in orange looks like him.

But they have a solid to good team with him, Hibbert, Samardo Samuels, i think they can also or may have Andre Drummond.

my team Bahamas beat them though last yr.

We (bahamas)would have a much better team if Eric Gordon and Klay Thompson would suit up for us.

Advertisement
In fact I kind of find it offensive that guys born and raised in the States and are Americans putting on the jersey of another country. I hope they lose every game.

In fact I kind of find it offensive that guys born and raised in the States and are Americans putting on the jersey of another country. I hope they lose every game.

It's done by every country in every sport. Look at Serge Ibaka playing for Spain, or Olajuwon playing for the US. It happens in international soccer all the time, and even now with that World Baseball Classic.

Most of these countries don't have enough good players to fill a team (like Jamaica) and a guy Durand is not going to sniff the US team, but he qualifies for Jamaica under FIBA rules, so he can play. If you really have a problem, take it up with FIBA. I really don't see the big deal, unless you're an ultra-nationalistic xenophobe. It's sport, not war.

Last edited:

It's done by every country in every sport. Look at Serge Ibaka playing for Spain, or Olajuwon playing for the US. It happens in international soccer all the time, and even now with that World Baseball Classic.

Most of these countries don't have enough good players to fill a team (like Jamaica) and a guy Durand is not going to sniff the US team, but he qualifies for Jamaica under FIBA rules, so he can play. If you really have a problem, take it up with FIBA. I really don't see the big deal, unless you're an ultra-nationalistic xenophobe. It's sport, not war.

if BOTH of your parens are of that countries heritage....then guess what??....Durand Scott's parents are jamaican nationals.
Hibbert i think was born there....now Ibaka with Spain is kinda wierd.....did he play a season or 2 there internationally?...

Klay Thompson's father is bahamian(Mychal Thompson-Lakers)....Eric Gordon's parents are also..he use to play with bahamian team in summers when he was younger.

if BOTH of your parens are of that countries heritage....then guess what??....Durand Scott's parents are jamaican nationals.
Hibbert i think was born there....now Ibaka with Spain is kinda wierd.....did he play a season or 2 there internationally?...

Klay Thompson's father is bahamian(Mychal Thompson-Lakers)....Eric Gordon's parents are also..he use to play with bahamian team in summers when he was younger.

Ibaka moved to Spain as a teenager and lived there and turned pro there. Ben Gordon played for the British team even though he lived in the US for 99% of his life. He was born in Great Britain. Loul Deng was born in the Sudan, but he represents Britain too because he moved there as a kid.

Advertisement

Ibaka moved to Spain as a teenager and lived there and turned pro there. Ben Gordon played for the British team even though he lived in the US for 99% of his life, he was born in Great Britain. Loul Deng was born in the Sudan, but he represents Britain too because he moved there as a kid.

The US Soccer team just picked a great young prospect who is from Iceland, but he was born in Alabama when his parents were going to South Alabama and when given the choice of playing in the World Cup or watching on TV, he chose the US and the World Cup, and because he's an American citizen by birth, he has that right.

well since u are supposed to be representing your own country I think its bull****. FIBA just wants to make money who cares what they think. I'm going by wiki here but durend and hibbert born in NY and durends mother isn't Jamaican.

No, you think you're supposed to representing "your own country." FIBA and FIFA and the IOC have other definitions / ideas.

Advertisement

Ibaka moved to Spain as a teenager and lived there and turned pro there. Ben Gordon played for the British team even though he lived in the US for 99% of his life, he was born in Great Britain. Loul Deng was born in the Sudan, but he represents Britain too because he moved there as a kid.

The US Soccer team just picked a great young prospect who is from Iceland, but he was born in Alabama when his parents were going to South Alabama and when given the choice of playing in the World Cup or watching on TV, he chose the US and the World Cup, and because he's an American citizen by birth, he has that right.

ya i knew about Gordon. Ok dude Ibaka lived there for a sec..i guess he has a Spain passport.

I dont see the problem if a kid is actually BORN somewhere...the kid from the U.S. Soccer team. **** Sanya Richards on the U.S. track team is as Jamaican as they come...and she runs for the U.S....just imagine if she ran for Team Jamaica ...**** U.S. might get blanked in medals.

But i think its just like a passport...if your father is a national of the country etc....then your elgible...I remember that dude Renaldo Balkman is on the Puerto Rican team.

ya i knew about Gordon. Ok dude Ibaka lived there for a sec..i guess he has a Spain passport.

I dont see the problem if a kid is actually BORN somewhere...the kid from the U.S. Soccer team. **** Sanya Richards on the U.S. track team is as Jamaican as they come...and she runs for the U.S....just imagine if she ran for Team Jamaica ...**** U.S. might get blanked in medals.

But i think its just like a passport...if your father is a national of the country etc....then your elgible...I remember that dude Renaldo Balkman is on the Puerto Rican team.

Puerto Rico is a weird case anyway, since they're US citizens and can choose to represent the US or PR.

Advertisement
No, you think you're supposed to representing "your own country." FIBA and FIFA and the IOC have other definitions / ideas.

Isn't the point of international competition to see which country has the better players? The reason FIBA/FIFA/IOC do that is to MAKE MORE MONEY. Will they make more money with NBA players against NBA players or NBA players vs what would amount to the Jamaican bobsled team?

Wow i guess I'm an ******* for being patriotic BWCD. go live in jamaica if you don't like Americans. Thats like when I go to reggae shows and some jamaicans gonna call some people on stage foreign when the act is from Miami and these fools are immigrants. YOU ARE FOREIGN. I love you but, yo, people born an raised in Miami ain't foreign.

And people born and raised in New York City aren't foreign either.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, I just think its weak.

But not as weak as some fools here that try to insinuate i'm some redneck or something because I'm not in line with INTL Basketball's greedy *** money making organizations and figure international tournaments are to test country vs country. Maybe France can offer LeBron a sweet package to play for their team.

The only things "dumb" and "weak" in this thread are your xenophobic arguments.

FIBA's logic is allowing guys like Scott to play for smaller countries like Jamaica is good for their brand of basketball, and makes for a more competitive overall game. I tend to agree with that. If that makes me "unpatriotic" in your eyes, then suck on deez.

Unless you're 100% Native American, then we ALL have ties to another country somewhere in our lineage, period. You probably have ties to Ireland, Germany, Italy, or some other European country (assuming you're white). If you want to play for the USA--great. If you're a 2nd/3rd tier player, and want to play FIBA basketball, then you probably wouldn't be able to do it for Team USA. No shame in accepting an invite to play with another country if you're allowed to.

No one, but folks like yourself, complain about this sort of thing. You should take that as a sort of sign to STFU.

The only things "dumb" and "weak" in this thread are your xenophobic arguments.

FIBA's logic is allowing guys like Scott to play for smaller countries like Jamaica is good for their brand of basketball, and makes for a more competitive overall game. I tend to agree with that. If that makes me "unpatriotic" in your eyes, then suck on deez.

Unless you're 100% Native American, then we ALL have ties to another country somewhere in our lineage, period. You probably have ties to Ireland, Germany, Italy, or some other European country (assuming you're white). If you want to play for the USA--great. If you're a 2nd/3rd tier player, and want to play FIBA basketball, then you probably wouldn't be able to do it for Team USA. No shame in accepting an invite to play with another country if you're allowed to.

No one, but folks like yourself, complain about this sort of thing. You should take that as a sort of sign to STFU.

Folks like myself whom you don't know. You should take my foot in your *** as a sign to go eat a bag of ****s. You are familiar with the recipe, I'm sure. You don't even know what xenophobic means you dumb ***. How is thinking US Citizens, born in USA, live in USA, go to school in USA, work in USA should play for USA xenophobic?

Maybe you are xenophobic because you don't want "foreign" - remember xenophobe - players to play for their own home countries. You are afraid to have a true international competition. You want a tournament full of Americans playing on different teams. They have that already, thats called NCAA and NBA.

Have you ever thought about the basketball players that are born, live, work in those countries being excluded so Americans can come in and take their spots on their rosters?

ignorant *** ***** who think they know people off a post on a message board. **** off

Advertisement
Back