Off-Topic Dune (2021)

The only reason I can guess was if part 1 flopped like the '84 Lynch/De Laurentiis version did Warner Bros. would cut their losses. The director, Villenueve, was ****ed when they released it on HBOMax because he was concerned with it impacting the films revenue and likelihood they would be able to finish the rest. He has said he wants to do Dune Messiah as well for a trilogy, and move forward from there, depending on how successful they are. They've at least green-lit the 2nd half now. There are tentative plans for a prequel show for HBOMax as well.
If it wasn’t for HBO Max, I never would've seen it. After the 1984 version, I wouldn't pay to see it.

Advertisement
She was a little to emo in this for me. She cried in like every scene.
This is probably my one complaint about the film after a first viewing. Lady Jessica was conflicted in the book, but did not outwardly express it very often (that I can recall). The 2021 film had one or two crying moments too many, which undercut the near imperturbability she possessed in the book, imo.

Otherwise I freaking loved the film.

So I took too many edibles before the show. Visually its awesome. I have no idea what the movie is about other than there’s a planet known as Dune that has spice and giant worms. Aquaman makes a cameo in the movie apparently. With the worms, it’s basically a prequel to Tremors with Kevin Bacon.
Yep. Nailed it.

This is probably my one complaint about the film after a first viewing. Lady Jessica was conflicted in the book, but did not outwardly express it very often (that I can recall). The 2021 film had one or two crying moments too many, which undercut the near imperturbability she possessed in the book, imo.

Otherwise I freaking loved the film.
Correct. Bene Gesserits don't cry.

Ever.

The only reason I can guess was if part 1 flopped like the '84 Lynch/De Laurentiis version did Warner Bros. would cut their losses. The director, Villenueve, was ****ed when they released it on HBOMax because he was concerned with it impacting the films revenue and likelihood they would be able to finish the rest. He has said he wants to do Dune Messiah as well for a trilogy, and move forward from there, depending on how successful they are. They've at least green-lit the 2nd half now. There are tentative plans for a prequel show for HBOMax as well.
Each book could be 2 movies for 14 total.

Deep story with Messiah. Kinda goes off the rails after.

Advertisement
That would be cool. I enjoyed the movie and I'm looking forward to part 2. The main actor that was in The King is becoming a really good. All together the movie had a really good cast.

******* Dune, every time I watched that movie I fall asleep. The beginning starts off alright, and then they're just walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking through a GD desert.

LOL... same here. Going in for a third time soon but Im falling asleep with a monster in my hand. So far its been great but there is one part that puts me in a trance or something because I dont even know what part that is.

I thought this was very well done, the movie looks fantastic. But let's face it, this story is unfilmable.

Advertisement
So I took too many edibles before the show. Visually its awesome. I have no idea what the movie is about other than there’s a planet known as Dune that has spice and giant worms. Aquaman makes a cameo in the movie apparently. With the worms, it’s basically a prequel to Tremors with Kevin Bacon.
Finally got around to watching this again. (Sober) Great film.

The 2021 version is good, but I hate the color grading. It makes for dull looking cinematography, similar to The Last Jedi, Solo, and anything Yates has directed.

The 1984 version was challenging to watch as a kid and the effects have aged. However I recently discovered an outstanding 4k fan edit. To me, this is the best version of the 1984 version. This is a fantastic edit that took the original film and restored deleted scenes:

As for the score, Toto > Zimmer by hundreds of degrees.

The 2021 version is good, but I hate the color grading. It makes for dull looking cinematography, similar to The Last Jedi, Solo, and anything Yates has directed.

The 1984 version was challenging to watch as a kid and the effects have aged. However I recently discovered an outstanding 4k fan edit. To me, this is the best version of the 1984 version. This is a fantastic edit that took the original film and restored deleted scenes:

As for the score, Toto > Zimmer by hundreds of degrees.

The main theme crescendo for that Toto score was so good. Probably my favorite part of the '84 version.

Advertisement

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back