Off-Topic Dune (2021)

Advertisement
Long live the fighters.

Haven't seen. Huge fan of series and ditto Lynch director's cut from 84.

Thoughts?

They teed up 2021 version for another movie correct? Doesn't finish first book's arc??

Long live the fighters.

Haven't seen. Huge fan of series and ditto Lynch director's cut from 84.

Thoughts?

They teed up 2021 version for another movie correct? Doesn't finish first book's arc??
I dug it. This version does a much better job of explaining the dynamics of the universe they are in: The conflict between the main houses, The emperor, the bene gesserit, etc. A newbie would be able to easily associate it as "Game of Thrones in space," if they have an attention span longer than 5 seconds.

They end it at the "midway" point I predicted.

running into the Fremen in the desert after escaping the sandworm.

******* Dune, every time I watched that movie I fall asleep. The beginning starts off alright, and then they're just walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking through a GD desert.

Advertisement
Looking forward to it. Fan of the director.

To all of the David Lynch loyalists, you should be tuning in to his daily LA weather report…

I dug it. This version does a much better job of explaining the dynamics of the universe they are in: The conflict between the main houses, The emperor, the bene gesserit, etc. A newbie would be able to easily associate it as "Game of Thrones in space," if they have an attention span longer than 5 seconds.

They end it at the "midway" point I predicted.

running into the Fremen in the desert after escaping the sandworm.
Exactly how I compared it. People that hadn't seen the movie yet I just told them it was Star Wars meets Game of Thrones. Probably had something to do with Oscar Isaac and Jason Momoa

I know nothing of the books and have never seen the original, but I loved the new movie.

******* Dune, every time I watched that movie I fall asleep. The beginning starts off alright, and then they're just walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and walking through a GD desert.
So what you are saying is, it's Lord of the Rings in a desert setting? If so, pass!

Advertisement
Is it different than the original movie. That one was pretty dull.

Is it different than the original movie. That one was pretty dull.
The first hour or so spent a lot of time "world building," that could have been spent doing a better job of building tension for the really bad thing that everyone is anticipating to happen in the story. Because of that, I think it could come across as boring to people who don't care for the "world building," they focused on.

I'd rather do it the way they did than the '84 film which crammed the entire book into 2 hours 15 minutes, versus this one which covered the 1st half of the book in 2 1/2 hours.

Advertisement
I know nothing of the books and have never seen the original, but I loved the new movie.
The first book is one of the greatest stories ever told.

By the last book (Chapterhouse) Herbert was clearly suffering from his end-of-life chemo treatments.

The first hour or so spent a lot of time "world building," that could have been spent doing a better job of building tension for the really bad thing that everyone is anticipating to happen in the story. Because of that, I think it could come across as boring to people who don't care for the "world building," they focused on.

I'd rather do it the way they did than the '84 film which crammed the entire book into 2 hours 15 minutes, versus this one which covered the 1st half of the book in 2 1/2 hours.
I thought the Shadout Mapes thong bikini contest was a crowd pleaser.

Screenshot_20211027-184424_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Advertisement
Anybody else see it yet? Great movie
Great story, interesting movie.

One thing I don’t like, and it is not unique to Dune is the heavy color filtering. So much of this film is through a colorless, drab lense. Not has bad as Yates’ Potter films, but I would have liked more lifelike color schemes.

Ok, I think they did a pretty good job. The only question I have is why they would make a part 1 without firm plans for part 2.

Ok, I think they did a pretty good job. The only question I have is why they would make a part 1 without firm plans for part 2.
The only reason I can guess was if part 1 flopped like the '84 Lynch/De Laurentiis version did Warner Bros. would cut their losses. The director, Villenueve, was ****ed when they released it on HBOMax because he was concerned with it impacting the films revenue and likelihood they would be able to finish the rest. He has said he wants to do Dune Messiah as well for a trilogy, and move forward from there, depending on how successful they are. They've at least green-lit the 2nd half now. There are tentative plans for a prequel show for HBOMax as well.

Advertisement
Back