Duke

Bleacher report college baseball writer. And this was a tweet from last weekend

As I said at the beginning of the season, this kid is all business.....he definitely has the make up of a quality MLB player down the road. I rarely see this this take a play off mentally like so many on our squad at times..

Advertisement
Completely agree
Move Toral up..he’s been on a tear
Great to have Zamora back last night too

Toral has earned it.

Vilar is down to .279 and isn't always clutch. Maybe he should get moved down too.

Lala
Zamora
Del
Toral
Gates
Amditis
Gil
Vilar
Crosbie

This is proof that you don’t understand what we are saying. It doesn’t matter how far the ball gets away from the catcher because an aggressive baserunning philosophy doesn’t allow you to wait that long to find out. You go BEFORE it hits the dirt. Before.
I don't know if you are just being hard headed. Not every runner capable of doingwhat your saying and getting to 2nd safely. They can do it, but they'll be thrown out. if you think about, it makes no sense.

So, a runner that is going to steal 2nd is going to get a jump on the pitchers delivery. To the contrary, what you are describing is "seeing the ball down" which occurs after the ball has crossed home plate and with a good secondary lead. So, tell me how the average Joe runner is going to be safe at 2nd in scenario #2 when he can't steal a base in scenario #1 where the runner is much closer to 2nd base on a full sprint than taking off after a secondary lead when the ball crosses home plate?

Simply put. Let me take off on a Sprint to 2nd when the pitcher lifts his leg while you do a shuffle secondary lead. Whose going to get to the bag first? Me. Everytime!!!

So, if a guy can't steal bases in normal conditions, he can't/shouldn't try to take 2nd on a pitch in the dirt without seeing how far the ball is away from the catcher. Even worse is what you describe as taking off before the ball hits the dirt wgich is impossible unless your straight stealing. In hundredths of a second the ball crosses the plate and the runner some how has time to say oh it's going to be in the dirt so I'll run. NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE. The ball has already hit the ground when the runner decides to go. And that is what I'm saying. Only the fast guys should go when they see it initially hit the dirt. Everyone else needs to see where the ball winds up. Gates is not that guy. Maybe the coaches think he is, but he's not. Not fast enough. That play has to be made 100% and only the fast guys can guarantee that.

Sure you can send everyone when the ball hits the dirt. Most will be thrown out at 2nd when the ball gets even 5 feet away from the catcher. Fact is most baseball players are just average to below average when it comes to speed compared to other athletes. Skilled with the glove and the bat, but a true athlete excels in other sports that involve running and jumping.

For the record, back in college, Ibwas a guy who could steal bases. I had the greenlight to steal or take off on a pitch in the dirt. I played football in high school and could have played in college. At 6' 2", I could dunk a baskeball on 3 dribbles. I know what I'm talking about. Not everyone should do what you're saying. I don't care how aggressive you want to be. It's throwing outs away because the slower runners are less likely to take 2nd safely. Like I said in other posts, If what you're saying is applied to every runner, then why is that 80-90% of the time the runner doesn't go when the catcher blocks a ball in the dirt? I'm talking about Miami who is an aggressive running team. I'll save you the trouble by telling you it's because it's not worth the risk with slower runners.

It's just like a guy stealing 3rd with a pitcher that has a slow delivery to the plate. It's a base to be taken by your faster runners, but those average to slow guys are better off parking their *** at 2nd base.

Advertisement
See now that's cool.

I don't get why the lineup has to remain static.

Our lineup is dangerous. I like Jenkins over Crosby and Gabe can hit for major power. Out of all mentioned I would say Crosby is the weak link and even he can rip one every now and again. I like the bats more and more each week and my god we have got to stay hot. No point of peaking in April if we fizzle out by mid May.

I don't know if you are just being hard headed. Not every runner capable of doingwhat your saying and getting to 2nd safely. They can do it, but they'll be thrown out. if you think about, it makes no sense.

So, a runner that is going to steal 2nd is going to get a jump on the pitchers delivery. To the contrary, what you are describing is "seeing the ball down" which occurs after the ball has crossed home plate and with a good secondary lead.

This is where you show that you don't understand what we're talking about. Seeing the ball down means reading the trajectory of the pitch and knowing that it is going to hit the dirt. THAT is when you take off. BEFORE it hits the dirt. Again, the fact that you don't get what I'm saying is an indictment of your college coaching staff. You literally think none of this happens until after the ball hits the ground. And you are wrong.

So, tell me how the average Joe runner is going to be safe at 2nd in scenario #2 when he can't steal a base in scenario #1 where the runner is much closer to 2nd base on a full sprint than taking off after a secondary lead when the ball crosses home plate?

Because (1) you get a jump before it hits the ground, and (2) you're counting on the fact that most balls in the dirt aren't picked and aren't gathered cleanly. Good baserunning teams do this and do it well. When the ball bounces wrong and they make a perfect throw, yes, sometimes you get thrown out. But most of the time you don't, and that's why you do it.

Even worse is what you describe as taking off before the ball hits the dirt wgich is impossible unless your straight stealing.

Dude, you really, really don't know what you're talking about. I learned to read the down angle on JV as a 14 year old. And I teach it to this day. Again, the fact that you don't know something that I thought was basic knowledge is a real slam on your college coaches.

In hundredths of a second the ball crosses the plate and the runner some how has time to say oh it's going to be in the dirt so I'll run. NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE. The ball has already hit the ground when the runner decides to go.

See, you actually don't know what it means to see the down angle of the pitch. You need to swallow your pride and admit that you've never heard of the concept, because you are embarrassing yourself right now.

Sure you can send everyone when the ball hits the dirt.

Before it hits the dirt.

Our lineup is dangerous. I like Jenkins over Crosby and Gabe can hit for major power. Out of all mentioned I would say Crosby is the weak link and even he can rip one every now and again. I like the bats more and more each week and my god we have got to stay hot. No point of peaking in April if we fizzle out by mid May.

Feels like Rivera will return to the lineup once healthy.

Vilar, Gil, Toral have accounted for 40% of the team's strike outs.

IMO, Toral's K rate can be overlooked because he's pretty locked in right now.

Vilar and Gil are ready to move down.

Amditis and Gates have been steady and don't K as often.

Lala
Zamora
Del Castillo
Toral
Gates
Amditis
Gil
Vilar
Rivera

Advertisement
"Advancing bases does not take a lot of speed, it just takes trusting your eyes and getting a jump as soon as you know the ball is going in the dirt. The more a player works on this skill, the better he will become at it. He may get thrown out a few times, but once this skill is mastered, it will help teams win more games."

"Being able to anticipate a pitch in the dirt and moving up to the next base helps a team score runs on multiple levels. "

Drill: Pitch Trajectory
Purpose:
Develop base runners ability to read the trajectory of the pitch to determine if it will hit the dirt. Allow the defense to work on defense in the same situations.

Even worse is what you describe as taking off before the ball hits the dirt wgich is impossible unless your straight stealing. In hundredths of a second the ball crosses the plate and the runner some how has time to say oh it's going to be in the dirt so I'll run. NOT HUMANLY POSSIBLE. The ball has already hit the ground when the runner decides to go.

It's mind-boggling that a guy who played D1 baseball wrote this. You should sue your college coaches.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Even with Toral being as hot as he is I don’t think you can move him back into the top 4. Seems as mental as anything. Some guys just rake lower in the lineup. I wouldn’t mess with him

Even with Toral being as hot as he is I don’t think you can move him back into the top 4. Seems as mental as anything. Some guys just rake lower in the lineup. I wouldn’t mess with him

Toral has nearly 2x the RBI Gil does. I don't anticipate him moving up but Gil needs to step it up with men on base, as does Vilar. But changing things around this late could mean trouble and Toral does seem comfortable batting lower.

Toral has nearly 2x the RBI Gil does. I don't anticipate him moving up but Gil needs to step it up with men on base, as does Vilar. But changing things around this late could mean trouble and Toral does seem comfortable batting lower.

Agree Gil is feast or famine. He needs to be more consistent to stay in that 4-5 spot. And I’m worried Vilar is hitting his freshman wall

Advertisement
Back