Duke Stadium Inquiry

Advertisement
I graduated from Duke in 16, they have definitely remodeled the place since then and now most of the seats have backs. They kick out all of the student cars in the blue lot so that those going to the football game have more parking (honestly **** this policy, I got my car towed twice bc of it, but i digress). I'm fairly certain that the parking is free.

Theres not a huge tailgate culture at Duke with football because the administration completely shut it down for a couple of years in like 2011 because some student's sibling got sloshed and ended up in a porty potty or some ****, at least that was the rumor on campus. On the whole, Durham sucks though. Couple of nicer places downtown have opened up, but you won't catch many students there, most of the undergrad population never ventures out past Shooters.

Also the WaDuke (The Washington) is Duke's on campus hotel that caters to the fathers of trust fund kids. Everything is wildly overpriced, but you can golf though if that's your sort of thing. I would definitely recommend staying in other places downtown.

On the whole, Durham sucks though. Couple of nicer places downtown have opened up, but you won't catch many students there, most of the undergrad population never ventures out past Shooters.

Guess it all depends on what you’re looking for.

The food and drink scene in Durham is pretty **** good...better than just a “couple nicer places downtown.” It’s constantly getting written up in The NY Times, Bon Appetit, and all sorts of other publications. Music scene is good if you’re into indie, jazz, hip hop or R&B. Plenty of live music venues, bars, and good breweries.

If you’re looking for undergrad bars/clubs and a big South Florida nightlife scene, yeah you’re not gonna dig it here too much.

Last edited:
Major improvements recently. I really enjoyed the Friday night game in 2017. Free football parking on campus, which is an extreme rarity. Decent sized walk but it is through campus so I sampled one building after another. Tailgating is strange because the fans don't have much of an attitude, completely unlike basketball. They mostly expect to lose. Best tailgating is near the Krzyzewskiville area, which is not far from the stadium basically behind the old basketball practice arena. Then Cameron Indoor is right there atop the hill overlooking the football stadium.

They have tours of Cameron Indoor but make it somewhat of a hassle. In contrast, the new Duke Sports Hall of Fame is attached to Cameroon Indoor and you can tour all you want. There's even a little corridor that is supposed to emulate the sound of Cameron Indoor. I had Grayson Allen walk out of a basketball tape session in that building and politely say hello to me, despite my Canes garb. Then he posed for pictures with another Canes fan wearing a Shaq Quartermann jersey. It was amazing how different he was in person than his reputation.

Football visitor side is opposite the press box. That's all I remember. Smallish stadium with only one deck so no seat is terrible.

Make sure to check out the Duke Chapel. One of the most impressive structures on any college campus.

Advertisement
We're thinking of going to game and have never been in that stadium. To those attending the game which is the visitor/Canes side and can you get chair backs? Looking at StubHub re tickets. Also info on where to stay not too far from stadium. Thanks much.

We're thinking of going to game and have never been in that stadium. To those attending the game which is the visitor/Canes side and can you get chair backs? Looking at StubHub re tickets. Also info on where to stay not too far from stadium. Thanks much.

Hilton in Durham has a shuttle to the stadium. Free shuttle that is

Major improvements recently. I really enjoyed the Friday night game in 2017. Free football parking on campus, which is an extreme rarity. Decent sized walk but it is through campus so I sampled one building after another. Tailgating is strange because the fans don't have much of an attitude, completely unlike basketball. They mostly expect to lose. Best tailgating is near the Krzyzewskiville area, which is not far from the stadium basically behind the old basketball practice arena. Then Cameron Indoor is right there atop the hill overlooking the football stadium.

They have tours of Cameron Indoor but make it somewhat of a hassle. In contrast, the new Duke Sports Hall of Fame is attached to Cameroon Indoor and you can tour all you want. There's even a little corridor that is supposed to emulate the sound of Cameron Indoor. I had Grayson Allen walk out of a basketball tape session in that building and politely say hello to me, despite my Canes garb. Then he posed for pictures with another Canes fan wearing a Shaq Quartermann jersey. It was amazing how different he was in person than his reputation.

Football visitor side is opposite the press box. That's all I remember. Smallish stadium with only one deck so no seat is terrible.

Make sure to check out the Duke Chapel. One of the most impressive structures on any college campus.
Been a while since we've been there. Have they improved concessions? All they had when we were there last was basically tents all around the top around the perimeter and they were out of everything but popcorn and water by half time.

Advertisement
My favorite place to eat in downtown Durham is Bull City Burger & Brewery. Still in my top 5 burgers, I've never been disappointed anytime I've been in town and eaten there. Everything is good, but depending upon when you go - expect to wait to order and for a place to sit. It's all walk-up ordering. http://www.bullcityburgerandbrewery.com/

As for the stadium - small, but sight lines are good, and the video board in the open end is big enough to see anything that you can't by the naked eye. You normally see a lot of Canes fans all along the visiting side of the stadium. I was down in front of Section 3 for the Miracle in Durham, and it's still one of the best memories of any Canes game I've attended in person.

Tailgating - I've tailgated all over that campus - the old Iron Dukes lot was great, and a short walk, but it's now off limits for tailgating last I heard. We used to tailgate at the Chemistry Lot, but I think they closed that one off as well...it was close. Last time we were there in 2017, it was the Circuit Lot, at the corner of S Lasalle St and Circuit Drive...which was a major downgrade because 1) it's a gravel lot, and 2) it's a much longer walk than either of the other 2 lots I mentioned. If you park there or close to it, it's about a mile walk.

Advertisement
Back