Duke not doing returns

Good, I didn't want him doing them last year either. If we had a stable of backs 4-5 deep where the next man up could run for 1000 yards easy, I would say ok. But he was IT last year for our running game. And right now, he's still our main offensive weapon and backbone of the running game, and both he and Yearby are coming off injuries from last year. No need for him to be taking anymore risks that is necessary, especially when we have guys like Coley and Dorsett that are fast as **** and have good moves.

Advertisement
I've never fully agreed with taking your best players off of returns to save them from injury. Duke averages 6.6 ypc and 31.9 per return. He is pretty much guaranteed to get it to the 40 every time and will break one out of 10, he is that special at kick returns. I don't see anyone other than Coley who is close to him in that regard.

Considering the yards he gets on returns only requires him to get tackled once, won't shorter drives resulting from the good field position his returns generate produce shorter drives requiring less carries from him, which would be a break even at worst in terms of times he needs to touch the ball? Put him back there. I'm ok with not every return, but most times he should be back there.

I'd like to see Johnson returning kicks (I don't subscribe to the "more risk for injury not worth it" theory) but I'm fine with Coley, Elder, Burns, Berrios, etc. That group is more than capable enough of breaking off a few TDs this year or at least giving Miami some quality starting field positions.

Advertisement
Kick Returns
The most interesting plays of the game if you ask me.

I think Coley and Duke are 1A and 1B in my eyes. I love both of them. Only thing Duke lacks is top end speed and Coley doesn't have the vision that Duke does.

I thought Artie was solid back there, not Coley/Duke level but third best from last year. Carter isn't bad, but simply isn't on the level of these three.

Corn showed some flashes of his shiftiness, but looked like he was adjusting to the speed for most of the year. I thought he got better as the year went on and wouldn't mind giving him another shot. Love me some Corn!

Just a simple no for Dorsett.

Will be curious to see if Lewis gets any reps, if he can return to his freshman form, I'm all for it.

I'm huge on Berrios, but think he is more suited for the punt return game.

Haven't seen enough of Gray to comment on him. (Insert GIF of him cutting in scrimmage, NUFF said)

My top 3 would be

1A. Stacy
1B. Duke
2. Artie
3. Corn

I agree with what most of the posters are saying, Duke should be used in the return game during critical moments.

Someone remind me if I am wrong, but Duke hasn't taken one to the house against any real opponent has he? Yes, against the cupcakes he has, but teams with real speed and he hasn't. Yes his vision is special and he does get us great field position, but I have no doubts that coley, artie, and corn can get us great field position. Berrios as well.

I would much rather have a fresh duke taking hand offs and doing what he is special at as a RB not a returner. He was needed as a return man because we just didn't have the horses his first 2 seasons. Now we have a freakin stable of thoroughbreds.

I have no doubt we will be fine with the other guys returning kicks. GO CANES!!!

Duke is probably the best kick returner Miami has had in the last 30 years besides Hester. You don't just shelve a weapon like that. I'm ok with giving him a breather and not putting him out there all the time. But if the staff doesn't put him back there against key opponents or in key situations, I think they are making a mistake.

Advertisement
Duke is probably the best kick returner Miami has had in the last 30 years besides Hester. You don't just shelve a weapon like that. I'm ok with giving him a breather and not putting him out there all the time. But if the staff doesn't put him back there against key opponents or in key situations, I think they are making a mistake.

Roscoe too

Duke gets it done!

Just had a flashback to when we had Devin Hester and Sean Taylor together back there returning kicks.

Duke is too good back there not to use him against good teams. I don't remember him being hurt on kick returns anyway. He got hurt blocking a blitzer with his head and getting bent backwards by fsu on a run.

Advertisement
As soon as I thought the bleakness was gone..... Kick returning is a skill...takes more than just explosion...... Maybe Coley but I don't think we have anybody else can be the threat that Duke was....Duke was our best returner since Hester..Im disappoint

Advertisement
i would worry about this but Coley is doing a **** fine job with returns and we can not risk duke injury or tiring him out when he needs to shine as a RB before a returner

Advertisement
Back